Page 57 of 61 FirstFirst ... 7475556575859 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,140 of 1202
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyRaab View Post
    Forgive me for being so new to this. The ZL card does not record Auto Chart data? To go beyond the internal 8 hours, do I need the AC Pro card? A non-H'Bird SD card can't be used?

I'm happy with just having whatever is in the Helix unit, as long as there's enough memory to hold more than minimal data. I don't know what benefit it gives me to go back and forth from computer to Helix with the data. But if I have to dual boot a laptop or have it running Windows just for this application (gag) I could do that.

You've all been very kind. Thanks again.
    Auto Chart Live mapping is overlayed on whatever background map you use in the unit (basemap, Navionics, or Lakemaster).
    Auto Chart mapping is read just like Lakemaster mapping directly from the Zero Line card AFTER it is processed by the computer software.
    Two different file types.

Auto Chart and Auto Chart Pro computer software comes with a Zero Line card. The Zero Line card is used to display the mapping on a Humminbird that is created with those two computer softwares.

You can do Auto Chart Live to the unit's memory or directly to the Zero Line card. Either way you can translate that data to the computer programs and create a Auto Chart map file (that is a different file type than Auto Chart Live).

The maximum internal memory for Auto Chart Live is 8 hours, you can do Auto Chart Live directly to a Zero Line card or transfer the internal memory data to a Zero Line card anytime up to the max of 8 hours and the file type is the same=still overlayed on the background map.
    When the unit's memory is used for ACL, after the transfer to a Zero Line card, the memory is cleared for 8 more hours of Auto Chart Live. You don't have to wait until the 8 hours is used, you can transfer the data to a Zero Line card anytime and the memory goes back to zero. All the data will be on the card.
    I have used a single Zero Line card with several Helix, ONIX, and SOLIX units. I don't have the computer software. ALL my recorded maps are an overlay on the mapping software I have in the units.

To collect data for use with the computer software, you don't need a Zero Line card at all, you can RECORD to a regular memory card of 32 GB or less, then translate that data to a Auto Chart map file and then copy that data to a Zero Line card for viewing on a unit.
    You can also use the Zero Line card for RECORING also if you want.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

2. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    "Gag"... LOL
    I'm with you on the windows noise...
    I liked Wayne's explanation best, it's good to have options!
    I've got AC PC & AC PC Pro.
    Regular AC PC installed on a SSD with 7 on it, but rarely boot into it.
    My 3D printer software runs on Linux and there's lots of great software without the spyware.
    So if I want to manipulate GPS data in HBPC or ACL files I can boot to windows. (YUK! )
    Windows ten REALLY sucks and there's not a single device in our home with that trash...
    HTPC, couple desktops, couple laptops - Linux rocks.
    GL!
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

3. Member
    I think I'm just going to have to get the unit on the water and play with it. It'll probably be self-explanatory - or nearly so - then. That won't be until March, probably. Until then, it's all still confusing, and I'm not a technodunce. Thanks again to all.

4. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    I'm looking to buy the AutoChart Pro software but the only thing I can find is a DVD version. My new Laptop, as well as most of the newer desktops and laptops, no longer have DVD or BluRay drives so can the product be downloaded from Humminbird if you buy the DVD version? I know you can buy a downloadable version off of the Humminbird ChartSelect site but that is at full price while there are plenty of legitimate sites which sell the DVD version at a significantly reduced price.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

5. Member
    I see quite a few with older versions that are discounted. I do not know if that is a big deal or not. HB site has 2.3 as current. UPC #
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

6. Member
    Been googling and it sounds like you could get a digital copy made pretty cheap. Or even use a dvd reader to do it. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

7. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    It doesn't look like older versions matter as Humminbird offers free software updates for AutoChart PC and AutoChart Pro. As long as it is installed on your computer, you can do the free upgrade to the latest version. The AutoChart Pro DVD I ordered was V2.300 which is the current version on the Humminbird Software Update site.

I ended up just buying an external USB Blu-Ray/DVD/CD reader/burner. That way I can use it on my desktop as well as my laptop. You can get them for around $80. You can get an external USB DVD/CD reader/burner for about $20. Since I saved $75 on the software, it was basically a break even and I'll have the external drive to use for other purposes.
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

8. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    I've been a long time user of AutoChart Live on the Onix and then Solix but I'm just now ordering AutoChart Pro. Until recently, I didn't see the need for AutoChart Pro but now do.

I'm in the process of reading this entire informative but huge thread. When I start a new long thread like this, I always start from the newest and work backwards. I'm now at December of 2015 and wondering if going any further back is even worthwhile, since the software has evolved significantly over the last 6 years... Thoughts?

Also, are the AutoChart Tutorial PDFs, which are attached in #1, still valid or are they outdated?

Quote Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
    I've been a long time user of AutoChart Live on the Onix and then Solix but I'm just now ordering AutoChart Pro. Until recently, I didn't see the need for AutoChart Pro but now do.

I'm in the process of reading this entire informative but huge thread. When I start a new long thread like this, I always start from the newest and work backwards. I'm now at December of 2015 and wondering if going any further back is even worthwhile, since the software has evolved significantly over the last 6 years... Thoughts?

Also, are the AutoChart Tutorial PDFs, which are attached in #1, still valid or are they outdated?
    Don't think the procedure has changed, just some tweaks have been added via update.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

10. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    I finished reading this entire thread and also reviewed the tutorials on post #1. Most of the information is about using tracks or sonar recordings but, in my case, I'm using the AutoChart Live recordings I've created for my 10,000 home lake. I now have the AutoChart Pro software and have made a first pass at importing the AutoChart Live .acu files from my original Zero Lines card and creating the new LakeMaster chart on the new ZeroLines Card. I have attached a screen shot of the import process with one section created.

Based on this initial pass, I have a few questions:

1) It successfully imported all of my AutoChart Live recordings (see attached picture) but the "Create Map" process only mapped a very small "chunk" of my recordings. Is this correct and, if so, am I going to have to do the whole lake in little chunks or is there a more streamlined way to do it? In the picture, you will see the small "chunk" that was created in the middle of the picture.

2) The Humminbird ZeroLines card doesn't have a good shoreline reference for my lake (Tims Ford Lake in South Central TN)... It's missing two entire large fingers of the lake. On my ZeroLines Card I use with AutoChart Live, I have imported the shoreline reference from the Humminbird ChartSelect LiveShare site. It has a much better shoreline for the lake. On my Solix, I select that as my shoreline reference for AutoChart Live rather than the default one from the ZeroLines Card. Can I use that ChartSelect LiveShare Shoreline Reference in the AutoChart Pro software as the base map? If so, how would I do that?

I'm sure I'll have more questions down the road but that should get me started.
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
    I finished reading this entire thread and also reviewed the tutorials on post #1. Most of the information is about using tracks or sonar recordings but, in my case, I'm using the AutoChart Live recordings I've created for my 10,000 home lake. I now have the AutoChart Pro software and have made a first pass at importing the AutoChart Live .acu files from my original Zero Lines card and creating the new LakeMaster chart on the new ZeroLines Card. I have attached a screen shot of the import process with one section created.

Based on this initial pass, I have a few questions:

1) It successfully imported all of my AutoChart Live recordings (see attached picture) but the "Create Map" process only mapped a very small "chunk" of my recordings. Is this correct and, if so, am I going to have to do the whole lake in little chunks or is there a more streamlined way to do it? In the picture, you will see the small "chunk" that was created in the middle of the picture.

2) The Humminbird ZeroLines card doesn't have a good shoreline reference for my lake (Tims Ford Lake in South Central TN)... It's missing two entire large fingers of the lake. On my ZeroLines Card I use with AutoChart Live, I have imported the shoreline reference from the Humminbird ChartSelect LiveShare site. It has a much better shoreline for the lake. On my Solix, I select that as my shoreline reference for AutoChart Live rather than the default one from the ZeroLines Card. Can I use that ChartSelect LiveShare Shoreline Reference in the AutoChart Pro software as the base map? If so, how would I do that?

I'm sure I'll have more questions down the road but that should get me started.
    I may have answered my Question #1. I found the batch update process and have it cranking away at my 242 AutoChart Live recordings. Hopefully that will do the trick.

Still interested in answer to Question #2. I don't see a way in ChartSelect LiveShare to download just the Shoreline Reference. It states that it includes the Shoreline Reference with any map segments you download from LiveShare. I don't see a way to just download the Shoreline Reference but hope there is.

12. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    I've done a lot of experimenting and have created multiple conversions of my AutoChart Live Data into Lakemaster maps using AutoChart PC Pro. I have it pretty well figured out with the exception of the Shoreline Reference for my lake.

The ZeroLines Shoreline Reference for Tims Ford Lake is missing 5 whole large fingers. I've attached 3 pictures showing what I'm talking about:

1) ZeroLines Shoreline Reference without mapping showing 3 of the 5 missing fingers
    2) Mapping overlaid on the above ZeroLines Shoreline Reference
    3) Zoomed in showing one of the missing fingers and the impact it has on the mapping.

When I created my Auto chart Live mapping of the lake, I downloaded the Shoreline Reference from the Humminbird ChartSelect LiveShare Site and that one is much more accurate and complete. When you do that, it doesn't appear that you get a separate file with a Shoreline Reference you can import into AutoChart PC Pro... It just becomes part of the downloaded images from LiveShare in the "acsocial" directory with "ACS" files. if there is a separate Shoreline Reference file added to the ZeroLines card, I can't find it.

So, with all that background, here is my question...

What is the easiest way to get accurate Shoreline Reference integrated into the map I create with AutoChart PC Pro?

It would be nice if I only had to add the 5 missing fingers to the already created ZeroLines Shoreline Reference but I don't see a way to do that. I also don't see a way to use the good Shoreline Reference from the LiveShare Site. The only way I can see is to totally recreate the entire Shoreline Reference itself using the Google Earth track drawing procedure from post #1. This would be a difficult thing to do since this is a 10,000 acre lake with lots of fingers and coves. It would take considerable time to do that.

Any help and direction is appreciated.
    Last edited by SLYDoggie; 03-04-2021 at 04:13 PM.

13. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    I'm still learning on the AutoChart PC Pro application. There are a lot of things which really aren't documented in the manuals (I've downloaded all of them). I have used AutoChart Live to map almost all of my 10,000 acre home lake and have gone through a few conversions of that data in AC PC Pro.

Since I have a total of 506 ACU files to convert, the only way I have found to do it is through the "Batch Update Area In View). I load all the ACU files, view the entire lake, right click on the map, and select the Batch Update option. The problem is that I have some bad data points so it thinks the deepest point on the lake is 450 feet rather than 150 feet. Since this process goes all the way through doing the Card Update, I don't have an opportunity to change the chart scale before doing the Lakemaster Update. Because of the chart scale being way too deep, the resulting Lakemaster map colorization is off and I basically only have very light shades.

I also don't have an opportunity to do any 3D views because those go away after you do the Lakemaster card update which is done automatically by the batch update process. Don't know how valuable this is for me but it's pretty cool to see.

Has anybody done a large scale conversion like this and, if so, is there a better approach to use?

By the way, all this AutoChart Live data has been uploaded to the Hummingbird LiveShare site for anybody who wants to download it.

14. Member
    Steve/SLYDoggie,
    Sorry for the slow reply, I don't get on these forums as much as I used to.
    I've also worked on a couple scale maps like you mentioned (10,000+ acre). And helped quite a few people on these forums with AutoChart questions.
    I've got a few suggestions to start with first, and we can work through other questions that come up.
    First thing I'd suggest is to come up with a good way to organize your survey files. I usually organize my files into a lake folder (Tims Ford Lake) , and then change the title of each individual file to the date and time it was surveyed (2021-03-15 1537.acu). I understand, you have a LOT of files. Hopefully you already have them pretty well organized.
    Then, I'd suggest actually editing out the bad data points by deleting those individual points. That might seem unnecessary, but it is the only way that your map will look decent, and make it easier to do batch update like you've been trying.
    Since you have all your files loaded into autochart already, it shouldn't be too difficult to edit out those bad data points. Right click, and 'map here' those areas with the bad data points. And you should be able to right click a data point, and go to the individual file that it's in, and delete it.
    Unfortunately, the missing shoreline sections create some issue for you. The only options in autochart are to use the zerolines data, or use imported shoreline data. Therefore, if you want to clear up those missing shoreline areas, you're going to need to create an entire shoreline file. That's what I chose to do with a couple large lakes I've worked on, but it's a big undertaking. Most of the time, you can find shoreline data online already, which gives you a good head start, and then you can modify it to add the bays that are cut off on the zerolines card.
    I'll send you a PM, so you can send me emails if you want and we can work through things going forward.
    Last edited by CamoHunter; 04-06-2021 at 04:16 PM.

15. Member
    Wow. Kudos to Camo for "service above and beyond".

Quote Originally Posted by granite View Post
    Wow. Kudos to Camo for "service above and beyond".
    +1
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**
    __________________________________________________ ___

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

17. Member
    Thanks fellas, just wish I got on here more to help. Kids getting older, getting involved in their activities and coaching, work, vol fire dept, and doing lots of my own fishing has limited my free time to check in on these forums like I used to. Still willing to help others though, but easier if folks contact me directly. If anyone wants my contact info, send me a PM.

18. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CamoHunter View Post
    Steve/SLYDoggie,
    Sorry for the slow reply, I don't get on these forums as much as I used to.
    I've also worked on a couple scale maps like you mentioned (10,000+ acre). And helped quite a few people on these forums with AutoChart questions.
    I've got a few suggestions to start with first, and we can work through other questions that come up.
    First thing I'd suggest is to come up with a good way to organize your survey files. I usually organize my files into a lake folder (Tims Ford Lake) , and then change the title of each individual file to the date and time it was surveyed (2021-03-15 1537.acu). I understand, you have a LOT of files. Hopefully you already have them pretty well organized.
    Then, I'd suggest actually editing out the bad data points by deleting them. That might seem unnecessary, but it is the only way that your map will look decent, and make it easier to do batch update like you've been trying.
    Since you have all your files loaded into autochart already, it shouldn't be too difficult to edit out those bad data points. Right click, and 'map here' those areas with the bad data points. And you should be able to right click a data point, and go to the individual file that it's in, and delete it.
    Unfortunately, the missing shoreline sections create some issue for you. The only options in autochart are to use the zerolines data, or use imported shoreline data. Therefore, if you want to clear up those missing shoreline areas, you're going to need to create an entire shoreline file. That's what I chose to do with a couple large lakes I've worked on, but it's a big undertaking. Most of the time, you can find shoreline data online already, which gives you a good head start, and then you can modify it to add the bays that are cut off on the zerolines card.
    I'll send you a PM, so you can send me emails if you want and we can work through things going forward.
    Mike, thanks for the offer. I responded to your PM and look forward to benefiting from your expertise.

As for organization of the AutoChart Live Data, mine is easy as I have a lake house on Tims Ford Lake and that is the only lake I fish. It is also the only lake I have AutoChart Live data, waypoints, tracks, and etc. As I mentioned in the PM, I have reviewed all of your excellent tutorials and documentation from post 1 of this thread. You certainly put a lot of time and energy into the creation of these AutoChart PC Pro resources!!!

19. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Steve, you won't find another guy like Mike - he knows his way around AC like nobody else.
    He helped me figure out quite a few things.
    You Rock Mr Insko!
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

20. Member
    Thanks for the kind words sfw1960.
    First off, I'm trying to help SLYDoggie with a data file for the entire shoreline of Tims Ford Lake. Since it's such a large lake, it would take a LONG time to hand draw the entire shoreline in Google Earth, in order to be able to use it in AutoChart. Here's a tip: There's a National Hydrography Dataset which contains shoreline data for all bodies of water in the US and Canada, and other countries. You just have to know how to find it and how to extract/convert the file for the individual lake you want data for.
    As far as I've seen, it is the same shoreline dataset that Humminbird used for all the lakes on their ZeroLines card.
    Once you have the shoreline for your lake, then you can manipulate the file in Google Earth in order to be able to add a bay, or adjust the shoreline here and there to create your own custom shoreline. But without having to draw the entire shoreline for a 10,000acre lake like Tims Ford Lake.
    I've got a quick and dirty tutorial on how to find and download shoreline data from the USGS "The National Map" download site. Here's the link for now: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qQS...ew?usp=sharing
    Last edited by CamoHunter; 04-06-2021 at 04:18 PM.

Page 57 of 61 FirstFirst ... 7475556575859 ... LastLast