Page 53 of 61 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1202
  1. Member
    Hello, I searched the thread but could not find a definitive answer to my problem. Hence I would need some advice regarding mapping with Autochart Live and changing water levels in particular. I use to fish on a reservoir (hydro dam) used for flood control where water levels change a lot over the year. Typically, the reservoir level is highest in early spring and than continually goes down during the fishing period.

There are no commercial maps available for this lake. Thus I have to rely on Autochart Live mapping but have to deal with the changing water levels. The surface is roughly 2,000 acres, so no chance to get mapping done without changes of water level in the meantime.

My initial approach was to define a reference level (full pool) and set the delta between current water level and this reference level as water level offset in my Helix 9 G3N every time before recording starts. I hoped that the control head would take this offset into account when recording the data so that the whole autochart live map could later be easily shifted towards a different water level offset without any frictions. However, this doesn't seem to work as expected. To me it seems as if the defined water level offset is only taken into account for generating the autochart live map from recorded data, but not to adjust freshly recorded data itself to the reference level. Some days ago, for example, I made a custom map for a new portion of my lake. Water level offset was set to -8 ft which corresponds with the current level compared to my self-defined reference point. Actual depth displayed on the sonar was 15ft, but the generated Autochart Live Map only showed 7ft. I found that the map is only displayed correctly if I set the water level offset to 0. Leaving the water level offset at -8 ft - as it was during the recording - results in a map where all displayed depths are 8 feet less than the the actual depth. To me that seems to imply that all recorded data assumes a water level offset of 0.

Can you confirm that this is the normal and intended behaviour with Autochart Live? That would mean that water level offset could be used to adjust data which was recorded at one unchanged water level to a later change, but merging of recordings which were recorded at different water levels was more or less impossible. (at least without using Autochart Pro desktop software) I cannot really believe this is intended because taking into account the setpoint for the water level offset while recording new Autochart Live data would be very easy from an algorithmic perspective.

Best regards,

Christoph

Quote Originally Posted by ChristophM View Post
    Hello, I searched the thread but could not find a definitive answer to my problem. Hence I would need some advice regarding mapping with Autochart Live and changing water levels in particular. I use to fish on a reservoir (hydro dam) used for flood control where water levels change a lot over the year. Typically, the reservoir level is highest in early spring and than continually goes down during the fishing period.

There are no commercial maps available for this lake. Thus I have to rely on Autochart Live mapping but have to deal with the changing water levels. The surface is roughly 2,000 acres, so no chance to get mapping done without changes of water level in the meantime.

My initial approach was to define a reference level (full pool) and set the delta between current water level and this reference level as water level offset in my Helix 9 G3N every time before recording starts. I hoped that the control head would take this offset into account when recording the data so that the whole autochart live map could later be easily shifted towards a different water level offset without any frictions. However, this doesn't seem to work as expected. To me it seems as if the defined water level offset is only taken into account for generating the autochart live map from recorded data, but not to adjust freshly recorded data itself to the reference level. Some days ago, for example, I made a custom map for a new portion of my lake. Water level offset was set to -8 ft which corresponds with the current level compared to my self-defined reference point. Actual depth displayed on the sonar was 15ft, but the generated Autochart Live Map only showed 7ft. I found that the map is only displayed correctly if I set the water level offset to 0. Leaving the water level offset at -8 ft - as it was during the recording - results in a map where all displayed depths are 8 feet less than the the actual depth. To me that seems to imply that all recorded data assumes a water level offset of 0.

Can you confirm that this is the normal and intended behaviour with Autochart Live? That would mean that water level offset could be used to adjust data which was recorded at one unchanged water level to a later change, but merging of recordings which were recorded at different water levels was more or less impossible. (at least without using Autochart Pro desktop software) I cannot really believe this is intended because taking into account the setpoint for the water level offset while recording new Autochart Live data would be very easy from an algorithmic perspective.

Best regards,

Christoph
    PM sent
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Hello guys,

I have an other question regarding Autochart. I bought a copy of Autochart Pro now. In general, almost everything works well. I have a problem with transferring track files created in Autochart Pro to my Helix unit, though, and have no idea how to solve it.

I managed to export waypoints from Autochart pro to the MATRIX folder of my Zeroline Card. But I'd also like to define tracks in Autochart Pro and use them on my unit. I tried contour lines and normal lines and exported them to .ht and .hit format, both. I copied those files to the MATRIX folder, but when I put my ZL card into my unit, those won't get imported.

Any ideas what could be wrong here?

Best regards,
    Christoph

P.S. I found now that I can import normal *.ht files if I put them into a MATRIX folder on a normal SD card (no Zeroline). Unfortunately, this does not work for *.hit files.
    Last edited by ChristophM; 07-13-2019 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Additional Information

4. Member
    I spent several hours playing with Mosaic feature today on my Solix. I am using it to overlay rocky ridges on top of my normal depth/Nav map. I did about 10 spots and I had assumed that the unit would automatically display Mosaics when I went back to that area, and I saw that you have to manually load them. I expect to end up with 50 to 70 of these for the lakes that I tournament fish. It will be painful to scroll through those, trying to name the recordings etc., so what I did is went back and recorded a spot, turned off recording, ran to another ridge and turned recording on, scanned there and then turned off etc...then at the end of that hour I saved the Mosaic file to the SD card and saved it with the name of that lake. Problem was it only saved the last one I recorded, so I lost the other 90 minutes of scanning. Assuming that the unit is not smart enough to figure out I am on that lake and display all my Mosaics for that lake, whats the best way to do what I want to do where I have one Mosaic file to load per lake? Wish there was a pause recording function. Worried if I leave it recording and run all over a 40K acre lake, its going to fill up the SD card or cause other issues. I really want to continue to use Navionics map cards, and it appears the AutoChart Pro creates LakeMaster cards only. Its a very intriguing technology, so hoping I am missing something obvious about how to make this practical to use at a large public lake setting to just scan your hotspots and its easy to have the mosaic overlay appear (or automatic like competing graphs) vs tons of screen fiddle around time!
    Last edited by danceswithquail; 07-17-2019 at 10:33 AM.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    PM sent
    Dang I'm curious about managing this as well.
    Console [HELIX 10MSI G3N || HELIX 10MSI G3N]
    Bow [HELIX 12 CHIRP SI GPS G2N] || RC-2] || [HELIX 10MSI G4N] || [M360 UNIVERSAL MOUNT] || [Mega Live]
    ULTERRA80/US2/IPLINK-60" BT || 2xAS ETH 5PXG || Victron IP67 12V/25A || [NoCo Genius GX2440 24V/40A]
    [X2 GROUP 31] x 3 || [Battleborn 31 lithium]
    Alumacraft Voyageur 175/Yamaha VF115LA

6. Member
    " Actual depth displayed on the sonar was 15ft, but the generated Autochart Live Map only showed 7ft. "

I may be misinterpreting the OP's info, but when I adjust the water level offset, I do it on a relatively flat area that I have already charted, then I double check that that the displayed chart and sonar depths match. Sometimes I have to tweak it several times to get it just right. Once I do this I have never noticed the chart and sonar depths mismatched on areas that I have already recorded (unless I had recorded obviously bad data) or in areas currently recording using Autochart Live.

Quote Originally Posted by granite View Post
    " Actual depth displayed on the sonar was 15ft, but the generated Autochart Live Map only showed 7ft. "

I may be misinterpreting the OP's info, but when I adjust the water level offset, I do it on a relatively flat area that I have already charted, then I double check that that the displayed chart and sonar depths match. Sometimes I have to tweak it several times to get it just right. Once I do this I have never noticed the chart and sonar depths mismatched on areas that I have already recorded (unless I had recorded obviously bad data) or in areas currently recording using Autochart Live.
    Excellent way to keep your data accurate. The first area done with Auto Chart or Auto Chart Live would be the baseline to do the rest of the body of water.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

8. Member
    Excellent way to keep your data accurate. The first area done with Auto Chart or Auto Chart Live would be the baseline to do the rest of the body of water.
    The first time I went out on my local lake with Autochart Live, I actually went to all three boat ramps that I normally use and recorded a reference area near each one to be used to calibrate the chart each time I launch. Wasn't sure it was really necessary at the time, but it has made for better charts, I think. If you were on a lake that's too large to do this I think you would have to reference an official "published" lake level or travel to an area you've already charted to be sure your depth offset was set correctly.

9. Member
    I'm new to this charting option and have a couple of questions. I've read this entire thread a couple of times as I've gone along with my learning; I've downloaded the tutorials, I've got things working.

I built my maps using sonar recordings I've made over the last couple of years, not the Autochart Live data from the head units, just used the .DAT files from the recordings. I'm using Autochart PC, not the pro version, and have 1 Zero Line card that I will move between my 2 HB units; they are not networked in any way, both are portable and will be used independently so that's why I share the card.

Question 1: Once I've mapped a portion of a lake with the .DAT files, is there any reason to go back over it with the AC Live operating to update or change the data? I'm not in to this charting so deep that I need vegetation recognition or even changes in bottom density, at least at this time. My data files are from a SI unit, so I've pretty much put waypoints on structure and other points of interest as I replayed the recordings looking at the bottom with the SI.

Question 2: My newest unit is a Helix 7, G3 GPS, no DI or SI, just the 2D with mapping. Will this be gathering some other relevant data using AC Live other than what I'd get from using the .DAT files? And will it show up on G1 Helix 10 SI?

Question 3: Using the SI unit with dual card slots, and assuming that there is some reason to record BOTH sonar logs AND chart using the ACL at the same time, is there a certain order that the functions should be initiated and terminated to assure the data is recorded properly? My plan would be to record internally and then to transfer the ACL data to the ZLC after the day is done. Map card would be in the unit, write protected to eliminate writing direct to card, but would be using the mapping data I've already put on the card to see where on the lake I've been and where I currently am. There is a reference to this start/stop order referenced back somewhere around page 22-24 or so but wondered if it ever got pinned down.

Thanks in advance for additional insight on the mapping feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowboater View Post
    I'm new to this charting option and have a couple of questions. I've read this entire thread a couple of times as I've gone along with my learning; I've downloaded the tutorials, I've got things working.

I built my maps using sonar recordings I've made over the last couple of years, not the Autochart Live data from the head units, just used the .DAT files from the recordings. I'm using Autochart PC, not the pro version, and have 1 Zero Line card that I will move between my 2 HB units; they are not networked in any way, both are portable and will be used independently so that's why I share the card.

Question 1: Once I've mapped a portion of a lake with the .DAT files, is there any reason to go back over it with the AC Live operating to update or change the data? I'm not in to this charting so deep that I need vegetation recognition or even changes in bottom density, at least at this time. My data files are from a SI unit, so I've pretty much put waypoints on structure and other points of interest as I replayed the recordings looking at the bottom with the SI.

Question 2: My newest unit is a Helix 7, G3 GPS, no DI or SI, just the 2D with mapping. Will this be gathering some other relevant data using AC Live other than what I'd get from using the .DAT files? And will it show up on G1 Helix 10 SI?

Question 3: Using the SI unit with dual card slots, and assuming that there is some reason to record BOTH sonar logs AND chart using the ACL at the same time, is there a certain order that the functions should be initiated and terminated to assure the data is recorded properly? My plan would be to record internally and then to transfer the ACL data to the ZLC after the day is done. Map card would be in the unit, write protected to eliminate writing direct to card, but would be using the mapping data I've already put on the card to see where on the lake I've been and where I currently am. There is a reference to this start/stop order referenced back somewhere around page 22-24 or so but wondered if it ever got pinned down.

Thanks in advance for additional insight on the mapping feature.
    PM sent
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

11. Member
    I just installed my new Helix 10 SI G3N. I haven't been on the water with it yet, but it appears to have the Autochart live feature. I am using the LakeMaster Northeast V2 map card. I'm completely new to Autochart and I have a few questions and concerns.

My Helix 10 did not come with a ZeroLines SD card. From the research I've done, I need to purchase AC PC or AC Pro, because they include the ZeroLines card and the PC program that I need to transfer files from my Helix to my PC, and to convert/save the recordings in a folder on my PC.

Once I have the AC live recordings on my PC, how do I merge them to make a single map from multiple trips on the same lake? Let's say I have 10 separate fishing trips to Lake Ontario, chasing walleye, trout, salmon and bass. I want to merge those 10 fishing trips into one map of Lake Ontario. Can I do that with AutoChart Live/PC?

Do I need to save that merged data on my ZeroLines card and insert that card back into my Helix to display my "custom" map for my 11th fishing trip on Lake Ontario?

I'll be recording new data with my AC live each trip out there. How do I select the new data from AC live and transfer that new data to my PC? Do I need to erase the "old" data on my ZeroLines card before I transfer the new data from AC live to my PC?

How long should each recording be? I've read every 15 to 30 minutes start a new recording.

I also read about glitches with depth displays on the fish finder. Should I expect this with my new Helix 10? My last unit was an 1198, but I never used it for AutoChart.

I run my Helix 10 and a Lowrance HDS9 Gen3 unit. I record sonar logs on my HDS9 using the C-Map Genesis, so I have some knowledge of recording/saving/transferring sonar logs. I'm just not clear on using the ZeroLines card and the AC PC or Pro program. With C-Map Genesis I can record on any blank SD card up to 32Gb in size. Each recorded sonar log is about 1 hour in length.

I've always used Humminbird, but I bought the Lowrance because I'll be buying the Lowrance auto pilot in the near future, which is controlled by the HDS unit. I troll with a 15hp kicker motor because trolling motor won't work on my 22ft aluminum cuddy cabin boat.

Thanks for your time and assistance!
    Last edited by Sabre Fan; 10-09-2019 at 08:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabre Fan View Post
    I just installed my new Helix 10 SI G3N. I haven't been on the water with it yet, but it appears to have the Autochart live feature. I am using the LakeMaster Northeast V2 map card. I'm completely new to Autochart and I have a few questions and concerns.

My Helix 10 did not come with a ZeroLines SD card. From the research I've done, I need to purchase AC PC or AC Pro, because they include the ZeroLines card and the PC program that I need to transfer files from my Helix to my PC, and to convert/save the recordings in a folder on my PC.

Once I have the AC live recordings on my PC, how do I merge them to make a single map from multiple trips on the same lake? Let's say I have 10 separate fishing trips to Lake Ontario, chasing walleye, trout, salmon and bass. I want to merge those 10 fishing trips into one map of Lake Ontario. Can I do that with AutoChart Live/PC?

Do I need to save that merged data on my ZeroLines card and insert that card back into my Helix to display my "custom" map for my 11th fishing trip on Lake Ontario?

I'll be recording new data with my AC live each trip out there. How do I select the new data from AC live and transfer that new data to my PC? Do I need to erase the "old" data on my ZeroLines card before I transfer the new data from AC live to my PC?

How long should each recording be? I've read every 15 to 30 minutes start a new recording.

I also read about glitches with depth displays on the fish finder. Should I expect this with my new Helix 10? My last unit was an 1198, but I never used it for AutoChart.

I run my Helix 10 and a Lowrance HDS9 Gen3 unit. I record sonar logs on my HDS9 using the C-Map Genesis, so I have some knowledge of recording/saving/transferring sonar logs. I'm just not clear on using the ZeroLines card and the AC PC or Pro program. With C-Map Genesis I can record on any blank SD card up to 32Gb in size. Each recorded sonarblog is about 1 hour in length.

I've always used Humminbird, but I bought the Lowrance because I'll be buying the Lowrance auto pilot in the near future, which is controlled by the HDS unit. I troll with a 15hp kicker motor because trolling motor won't work on my 22ft aluminum cuddy cabin boat.

Thanks for your time and assistance!
    You don't need the computer software at all to do Auto Chart Live. The unit has up to an 8 hour memory for doing LIVE mapping. You can transfer that data to a Zero Line Card or record Auto Chart Live directly to the Zero Line Card.
    Auto Chart Live is overlayed on whatever mapping background you have (Navionics, Lakemaster, Humminbird Basemap, Contour XD, or Auto Chart).

Auto Chart Live can stay that file type and does not have to be translated to Auto Chart by the computer software. I use Auto Chart Live on a Zero Line card and have done ACL on the same card with several units (Helix, ONIX, and SOLIX). I don't have Auto Chart or Auto Chart Pro.
    A Zero Line Card has millions of zero lines (shorelines) so using that function, you probably won't fill up the card in your lifetime.

The computer software can translate Auto Chart Live data or unit sonar logs (RECORD) to Auto Chart mapping. Several bodies of water I fish have no Auto Chart shorelines so I use Navionics mapping as the background to have the shorelines to contain the created contours.

I record in 15-30 minute segments in case something happens and the recording get corrupted ( like loosing the depth ).
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

13. Member
    You don't need the computer software at all to do Auto Chart Live. The unit has up to an 8 hour memory for doing LIVE mapping. You can transfer that data to a Zero Line Card or record Auto Chart Live directly to the Zero Line Card.
    Auto Chart Live is overlayed on whatever mapping background you have (Navionics, Lakemaster, Humminbird Basemap, Contour XD, or Auto Chart).

Auto Chart Live can stay that file type and does not have to be translated to Auto Chart by the computer software. I use Auto Chart Live on a Zero Line card and have done ACL on the same card with several units (Helix, ONIX, and SOLIX). I don't have Auto Chart or Auto Chart Pro.
    A Zero Line Card has millions of zero lines (shorelines) so using that function, you probably won't fill up the card in your lifetime.

The computer software can translate Auto Chart Live data or unit sonar logs (RECORD) to Auto Chart mapping. Several bodies of water I fish have no Auto Chart shorelines so I use Navionics mapping as the background to have the shorelines to contain the created contours.

I record in 15-30 minute segments in case something happens and the recording get corrupted ( like loosing the depth ).
    Thanks for the explanation Wayne! I try to keep it simple. I do a lot of trolling with downriggers and deep diving baits, and I just want to have an accurate map of depth contours for the lakes I fish.

Thanks for the explanation Wayne! I try to keep it simple. I do a lot of trolling with downriggers and deep diving baits, and I just want to have an accurate map of depth contours for the lakes I fish.
    Well you will have to build that map by covering all of the bottom parallel to shore and perpendicular to shore so you will have accurate contours.

The contour map form can be Auto Chart Live or Auto Chart, they are different file types.
    Auto Chart Live is only overlayed on the background mapping you use and Auto Chart is a stand-alone map like Lakemaster.

Not only that your installation and operation has to be accurate to get accurate data:
    1. GPS where the sonar data is---GPS antenna above the transducer.
    2. Accurate depth---the depth that transducer is below the surface offset so the readout is the water depth, not the distance between the transducer and bottom.
    3. The lake level is the same every time you collect data or adjust the depth offset to make up for the varying levels.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

__________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**
    __________________________________________________ ___

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

16. Member
    Well you will have to build that map by covering all of the bottom parallel to shore and perpendicular to shore so you will have accurate contours.

The contour map form can be Auto Chart Live or Auto Chart, they are different file types.
    Auto Chart Live is only overlayed on the background mapping you use and Auto Chart is a stand-alone map like Lakemaster.

Not only that your installation and operation has to be accurate to get accurate data:
    1. GPS where the sonar data is---GPS antenna above the transducer.
    2. Accurate depth---the depth that transducer is below the surface offset so the readout is the water depth, not the distance between the transducer and bottom.
    3. The lake level is the same every time you collect data or adjust the depth offset to make up for the varying levels.
    That makes sense Wayne. My maps could never be that accurate because the unit is about 16ft in front of my transducer. Besides that, I usually fish in 2-4ft swells, sometimes 5-6ft if it's not too choppy. I'm happy with my own custom maps as long as they aren't off as much as the store bought map cards. I usually fish deep water for salmon, sometimes deeper than 200ft of water. I also fish for walleye and bass in shallower water, but not so shallow that a foot or two makes a difference.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob B View Post
    Thanks Bob!

That makes sense Wayne. My maps could never be that accurate because the unit is about 16ft in front of my transducer. Besides that, I usually fish in 2-4ft swells, sometimes 5-6ft if it's not too choppy. I'm happy with my own custom maps as long as they aren't off as much as the store bought map cards. I usually fish deep water for salmon, sometimes deeper than 200ft of water. I also fish for walleye and bass in shallower water, but not so shallow that a foot or two makes a difference.

That is why you add an external GPS antenna above the transducer to eliminate that 16’ error.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

19. Member
    I'll look for an external GPS antenna this winter. Our fishing season is almost over in northern NY.

20. Member
    Hi, I just got my 2 Helix 9 G3N's set up and I have mapped most of my local lake which is not on LakeMaster. I've gotten my 2nd Zerolines card in yesterday. Can someone point me to instructions on how to copy the data from the 1st card to the second one for identical map overlays for both units, please? I've been reading for hours and have not come across anything that explains how to duplicate the data to a 2nd Zerolines card.
    Hubert Smith
    Lake Blackshear, GA.

Helix 9 MEGA+ SI G3N, 2.660
    Helix 9 MEGA+ SI G3N, 2.660
    Helix 7 MEGA SI G3, 2.660
    Helix 7 CHIRP G3, 2.60
    Helix 5 SI G2, 2.110

Page 53 of 61 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast