Page 50 of 61 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1202
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramrod25 View Post
    I have a question about the 8 hours of internal storage. At the end of
    the 8 hours what happens? Does the unit then automatically start to
    write over previous data? Also is there any way to clear the internal storage
    so you know you have 8 hours of storage capacity before you go to the
    lake??

Regards
    Rodney
    Yes, the ACL data will start to overwrite the oldest data after 8 Hrs. To clear the internal data, simply power up the unit and insert the ACL card....you could do this before you get off the water if recording to internal memory.... make sure you always stop the recording whether doing sonar logs or ACL since data can be lost if not shut down clean.

There's almost always more than 1 way to get something done.
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**
    __________________________________________________ ___

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sfw1960 View Post
    You can do that too.

IDK what S/W version you're running, but I was able to write snapshots, sonar logs and NAV data to my ZLC, but I make sure I clean it up and back up stuff regularly - this was on a G1 H12DI and it works on the others.
    I think I’m on 1.61 now and this wa last year on 1.4(?), haven’t done the very latest. The unit would only do a screen snapshot or waypoint snapshot with a blank card in but it would record sonar like a video without one. I liked that feature because it kept me from accidentally putting incompatible data on cards. Never had any problems with the snapshot going to the wrong card, the unit always selected for the correct card.

3. Member
    Bob, Thanks. That solves the problem. For a mapping session, I'll put the SD card in the #1 slot and start Record and put the Zeroline Card in the #2 slot and start ACL.

When I'm finished mapping, I'll stop the recording and stop ACL. Remove the SD card from the #1 slot and put the Zeroline card in the #1 slot.

IF, the unit did not write the ACL data to the Zeroline card while I was recording on the SD card (I'll check and find out) - but if it did not write the data, then when I put the Zeroline card back in the #1 slot, it will write the ACL data from internal memory.

Thanks for working thru this problem and developing a procedure that gets both Record and ACL data in one shot.

Regards
    Rodney

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Very cool. I’m in the process of mapping and sharing a 12,000 acre unmapped lake, this will make it much easier. And probably a little quicker, too.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post

Just quickly checking it out.

Don't see a quick way to find out which lakes actually have data yet. Have to manually zoom in to everything to see if something shows up.

Quote Originally Posted by EzyEric View Post
    Just quickly checking it out.

Don't see a quick way to find out which lakes actually have data yet. Have to manually zoom in to everything to see if something shows up.
    Yep, have to look at the hot spots and then zoom in for detail.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

8. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    This should work out in everyone's best interest...

I'm glad this happened so we all can have better mapping!
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

9. Member
    I downloaded the latest version (2.300) of Autochart Pro but I cannot import or open the new liveshare maps. Anyone know how?

The instructions page and the manual doesn't mention how to do this.

Also the instructions say you can put the liveshare maps directly (as a .zip-file) on your ZLC. It doesn't mention where but i'm assuming in the ACDATA folder.

Quote Originally Posted by daiwshi View Post
    I downloaded the latest version (2.300) of Autochart Pro but I cannot import or open the new liveshare maps. Anyone know how?

The instructions page and the manual doesn't mention how to do this.

Also the instructions say you can put the liveshare maps directly (as a .zip-file) on your ZLC. It doesn't mention where but i'm assuming in the ACDATA folder.
    No, just put the zip folder on the card. You do not file it anywhere.

Anyone here doing the custom back ground map on autochart and zerolines card. That 7000x7000 meter max map size should allow a map aproximatly 4 miles square. But if I make my KML that size Autochart crops it to aproximatly one mile square. Either Im doing something wrong or the program has an error. Has anyone made a larger map. I am running the latest version 2.30
    I Spend Most of my money on fishing, fishing tackle and boats, Very little is wasted......

12. Member
    Question about the area of coverage when recording sonar files.

I think I read somewhere that when recording .son files, that the system is using the 20 degree cone at 200khrz.

Is this correct??? I'm trying to figure out how many passes and how far apart each pass should be to get reasonable complete coverage. I know that the width covered varies with the depth of the water and the ratio is roughly 1/3 of the depth of the water.

So, at 10 feet, IF it just uses the 20 degree cone, each pass should be roughly 4 1/2 feet apart. (D + 1/2D) At twenty feet, approximately 11 feet apart. I plan on importing the data into ACP.

Thanks
    Rodney

Question about the area of coverage when recording sonar files.

I think I read somewhere that when recording .son files, that the system is using the 20 degree cone at 200khrz.

Is this correct??? I'm trying to figure out how many passes and how far apart each pass should be to get reasonable complete coverage. I know that the width covered varies with the depth of the water and the ratio is roughly 1/3 of the depth of the water.

So, at 10 feet, IF it just uses the 20 degree cone, each pass should be roughly 4 1/2 feet apart. (D + 1/2D) At twenty feet, approximately 11 feet apart. I plan on importing the data into ACP.

Thanks
    Rodney
    Two things are used to create contour lines for mapping--Depth and Location.
    The Depth comes from the center of the 200 kHz sonar pulse and Location comes from the GPS antenna.

The contour mapping software creates fake lines a long ways (sometimes 100' or more depending in the depth) from the center of the sonar pulse (interpolation). The only way to have a completely accurate map is to pass over every square foot of terrain and blend in all the fake created parts of the lines. Not only that, consider that the unit creates a track point every second (default), that track point has the depth and location that is used to create the contour lines. Your speed makes a difference in accuracy also. Just figure out how far you move per second at the speed you use to see how inaccurate your data can be especially for a fast sloping bottom.
    It is up to you to determine how accurate you want your mapping.
    One more thing is if your GPS antenna is not above your transducer, the position of the contour lines will have a error of that distance between the transducer and antenna.

Every single map whether it is computer created or hand drawn like USGS, uses data collected in intervals and then fills in between data points with fake lines (interpolation).
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

14. Member
    Thank you Wayne. Appreciate the quick response.

So at 3 mph and one ping/sec thats about 4.4 feet apart

If I went to two or three pps, I would assume that the only negative is eating up room onthe SD card. Correct, or are there other considerations one needs to be aware of?

Thanks

Rodney
    Last edited by Ramrod25; 07-18-2018 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Another question

If I went to two or three pps, I would assume that the only negative is eating up room onthe SD card. Correct, or are there other considerations one needs to be aware of?

Thanks

Rodney
    1 per second is the fastest. You can use longer periods to create less data.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Thanks

Rodney
    Example of a what Auto Chart creates. This has two passes beside each other. If you compare their widths to the scale on the left side edge, you can get an idea of how much fake data is created not based on sonar.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

17. Member
    Thanks Wayne - for some reason I thought one could change the ping rate.

As a general question for a Helix 12 Gen1 SI: Is there an aftermarket transducer that is better than the stock one that comes with the unit?? How do you define better?? Perhaps more detail, sharper picture on the screen - etc. Still retain 2D, DI and SI.

The reason I'm asking is that I also have a pontoon boat, and I'd like to get a second transducer to put on it, and then just move the Helix 12 between the fishing boat and the pontoon.

Thanks
    Rodney

As a general question for a Helix 12 Gen1 SI: Is there an aftermarket transducer that is better than the stock one that comes with the unit?? How do you define better?? Perhaps more detail, sharper picture on the screen - etc. Still retain 2D, DI and SI.

The reason I'm asking is that I also have a pontoon boat, and I'd like to get a second transducer to put on it, and then just move the Helix 12 between the fishing boat and the pontoon.

Thanks
    Rodney
    You can change the TRACK POINT INTERVAL to greater than 1 sec. A track point has the depth and location data to create and position the contour lines.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Thanks
    Rodney
    The standard transducer for the first generation Helix 12 CHIRP SI GPS is the XHS 9 HDSI 180 T. There is no better for that unit.

You can use the cheaper/smaller Compact SI transducer in its place if you want, but the image quality will be less. 2D will be the same. XNT 9 SI 180 T
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

20. Member
    The accuracy of the ACLive map improves quite a bit as you make multiple passes and criss cross your previous passes, I assume Pro is the same way. I don't do that for the whole lake, just on significant features like points, humps and creek beds. I do keep mapping on anytime I'm moving at a reasonable speed, which builds my general map and adds a lot of detail to the spots I fish a lot without any special effort. I can quickly review one pass areas and go back to get more detail on anything interesting like an unknown structure or change in bottom composition. I'll also drop a waypoint while cruising to help me remember to check out a particular spot. The spots I fish a lot get so much detail in a single season that I really don't have to add any more.

Page 50 of 61 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast