Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Night fishing and leaving the trailer/vehicle at the ramp friday night

Had a ball... Caught a ton of fish one after another... I come back to load up and my van's gas tank was empty... Looks like someone needed $50 worth of gas more than I did.... So... Now do I get a locking gas cap? I barely made it to a gas station to fill up to make the trip home...

Here are a few bass... mittenbass and I.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

A locking cap has got to be cheaper than another dirtbag siphoning a tank off of you.

Looks like it was still a great night.
    "Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." - Aldous Huxley

Stake out !

4. Member
    How old is the van? Should even be able to get a hose down the tube on anything fairly recent

I had issues with locking gas caps, some cars in past worked fine, then the new ones, bought a lock gas cap then had running issues.. was vented cap for a sealed system or a non vented cap that fit for one that needed a vent cap.. lately seems very limited selection for certain cars, trucks and year models. so the three vehicles have now no lock cap

2009 Chevy Express van 2500

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    2009 Chevy Express van 2500
    A quick search found a $21.69 Stant locking gas cap at:

Chevy Express 2500 Gas Cap - Free Shipping - Stant, AC Delco, Gates

8. Member
    you from Michigan? Just outside of Detroit? And you are griping about thieves? Feel your pain, but, you are in a high crime area.

9. Member
    Hate to hear about some scumbag taking your gas while you guys were out.

Looks like some good fishing though.

locking cap just makes them punch a hole in the tank and catch it as it runs out. after they get their 5 gallon bucket full they leave and the rest of the tank runs out.

I'd leave a note asking them to leave you a little gas so you can make it to the station next time. A locking gas cap is maybe not a good idea $50 worth of gas is cheaper then a hole in the tank and no gas.

asu72 you beat me too it

Quote Originally Posted by bottledgt View Post
    How old is the van? Should even be able to get a hose down the tube on anything fairly recent
    Easy---- 1/2 inch hose, electric pump. $50.00 worth of gas ( 13-14 gallons) 12- 15 min.

Nice fish.

Mike, had a Stant locking cap on my truck. Went out on belleville night fishing came back to an empty tank and a busted window. I think they where looking for the key and decided to us a pry bar to get it off instead, wish I had never put it on there.....

2002 Chevy silverado
    Bad spellers of the world untie!

Just consider it your contribution to those less fortunate (or less motivated to work).

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

15. Member
    Most tanks you can't get a hose down to the fuel is what I meant.

I would think a criminal wanting to steal gas would go for an easier target of an unlocked tank before punching holes and carrying buckets. Not to say they won't, but it sure stands to reason that an easier victim beats a locked one.

17. Banned
    several years ago,they got real bad about steling tires and rims off trailers at one of the remote ramps at Guntersville....but they did it to the wrong two guys.....these two came back about week later,launched their boat,went down lake just out of sight,tied their boat off and came back through the woods...this time they had their shotguns loaded with dove shot.....they hid in woods and sometime that afternoon, this car pullled in lot,slowly drove around then left...few minutes later it came back and three guys hopped out and started taking wheels off trailer....guys in woods opened up on them.....
    my source said there was a bunch of screaming,squawlling and the getaway car also got blistered with shot....there was no reports from hospitals about removing lead shot but as my buddy said "they went someplace and picked the shot out of their azz and got their car repainted and windows replaced"....
    my buddy also said it stopped that b.s. for several years...

I'd be too afraid of the legal consequences to do that but it's nice to know that at least once,somebody got what they deserved....

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrodude View Post
    A locking cap has got to be cheaper than another dirtbag siphoning a tank off of you.

Looks like it was still a great night.
    And even cheaper than poking a hole in your fuel tank to get it.

Bad idea...Most know now that you can drill through a plastic tank with just about zero risk of explosion...Cheaper to replace the gas and get gas after fishing trips and show up on empty from now on

Or leave a semi fresh dog turd on the cap next time

20. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Viva Michigan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast