New 650 Pro Tour lower unit question

Anybody try a sportmaster with a 250xs on a 625 or 650 Blazer? I just picked up a 650 and haven't run it yet. All my outboard experience has been on lightweight hot rods. All sportmaster or cle lowers. Would a lower water pick up and raised engine height gain anything?

2. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    Nope...

3. BBC SPONSOR
    625 Yes, I believe I could make a 250R w/ Sportmaster work just fine. Our 625 300R ran 97.5 solo and light.

650 No, The 250 just doesn't have enough grunt to carry the boat on the big 5.44" diameter case.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

4. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    With how boats are rigged nowadays, I don't see how a 250 with a Sportmaster would better than a TM on a 625.

That said, I never doubt that Tim could make one run.

5. Member
    Well, I had a chance to run the boat. I see what you all are saying. Such a different experience than what I'm used to.

My little Bullet center console accelerates from 30 to 65 effortlessly. This rig is more like a locomotive. Roughly, what sort prop height are you guys running compared to the pad? Mine seemed to do best buried well below the pad. Felt like it lost grip with any sort of up plate input. All the down in my plate looks 2 or 3 inches below the pad. I didn't put a straight edge on it to really measure just eyeball measurement. Seemed like it needed to be buried on prop height and lots of trim to do anything. So different than any other outboard boats I've run. My Bullet center console moves from 30 to 65 with a quick burst of 3/4 throttle. This rig needs to be floored.

And merc manual says to run variable rpm for first 2 hrs up to 4500 rpm AND hold it wide open for 1 minute of every 10 minutes. So pls don't rag me for flooring a few times from short runs.

6. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel1 View Post
    With how boats are rigged nowadays, I don't see how a 250 with a Sportmaster would better than a TM on a 625.

That said, I never doubt that Tim could make one run.
    It wont be a traditional 625 - 250 TM setup for sure, but similar to how we made a Bullet 21xd - 250R SM run 91 with a passenger

The 625 is my favorite Blazer, its runs really nice.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0