Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sabre vs Margay Which One

If both boats are fitted with 150's what would be the pros and cons of each. Which one would you pick and why. Which boat handles the elements and bigger water better. I am just trying to decide which one to get cause I want it to last me a long time and with no regrets.

Thanks Scott

2. Member

Re: Sabre vs Margay Which One (qwkdrwmgw)

Only a 6" difference in length, so not much there.

Front deck: Margay appears to win there in terms of square footage. You could, however, add the flipping deck to the Sabre and expand it's standing room. In doing so, you limit/lose direct access to the cooler on the Sabre. With the forward recessed TM pedal, though, I don't do much standing rearward of the butt seat, so that difference might not matter much. I will say this about the center rod box on the Margay: it's frigging MASSIVE! Lots of pros to having that big center box, too. (I could take the rods out and climb in it to escape a hail storm, for instance) One negative, however, is if you need to get in the box, you need to step down into the center of the boat to access the rod box. Not a hassle for me, but I'm fun fishing...ymmv.

The Sabre has a 33 gallon fuel tank versus 26 in the Margay.

Access to pump/bilge area appears to go to the Margay, hands down. That rear hatch is also removable on the Margay (in all fairness, I don't know if that hatch lid is removable on the Sabre or not.

The Sabre has a co-angler rod holder setup. Margay, not so much - unless you count the massive rod box. Looks like such a setup could be made for the Margay after the fact, however.

Margay console has room for larger flush-mounted dash electronics. Custom options are available for RAM mounting a larger finder on the Sabre.

A lot of people make the "chopped up" floor space in the driver/passenger cockpit area due to the extension of the rod box. It hasn't been in my way since I've owned my Margay, though. I will say that I find it quite useful for transitioning from the bow to the stern, or vice versa, without having to step down into the cockpit, then back up the other deck. Quite useful for a coangler that needs to come up on the front to hop on the TM while I'm re-rigging or something. Or, which is usually the case for me, I need to retrieve my wife's rod from her, to help dislodge her bait from a hangup.

I like the aesthetics of the motor rigging on the Margay, but that's a subjective criteria.

EDIT: Don't mistake what I was trying to say, though. I wasn't trying to steer you into one or the other. I don't think you could really go wrong with either choice, just giving some info
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

3. Member

Scott, You really need to see both in person, better yet be on the water in them. I own a Sabre (not FTD model) and did see a Margay in person at a local sport show. I am extremely pleased with my purchase especially after a closer inspection of the Margay. If the Sabre is in your price range, it is the better choice-lift the lids on both models and you will know what I am talking about. I have run mine Lake O and stayed dry after going through a curling 4-5ft sport cruiser wakes while on plane-not an easy feat in my opinion. Good Luck, John

4. Member

Re: Sabre vs Margay Which One (sabreski)

Have you been up to Sherm's? I believe he has both in his showroom.
    Basscat!

5. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar

Re: Sabre vs Margay Which One (GRR884)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by GRR884 &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">Have you been up to Sherm's? I believe he has both in his showroom.</td></tr></table>

He did have both not too long ago. If I were you, I'd look at both of them side by side. Personally, I would rather have the Sabre.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

6. Member

I have been to Sherms and seen them sise by side. Sherm wasn't there though so he couldn't answer my questions about the ride, stability, and handling of the two. I can tell that the Margay has a bigger deck just by looking at them, but I want to know if it handles better in rougher water or if while fishing which one is more stable when your partner is in the back walking around? One other thing which one is going to have a better resale not that I want to get rid of it any time soon just asking?
    The sabre back lid doesn't remove as far as I could tell.

Thanks to all that has already replied
    Scott

The livewells are different as well. The Margay has a Pump In and Out live well only. The Sabre is thru hull plumbed.
    1998 Triton TR-21 2012 Yamaha 225 SHO

8. Member

Sabre all day long...If you want to tx fish

Margay if its just for fun fishing with friends and family and not going to make long runs. Plus if you get the Margay with a 150, you might as well make it a Sabre...

BOTH ARE GOOD, they just offer different things ie...More gas in one, storgage difference, center rod box vs. 2 separate rod boxes...

GOOD LUCK AND KEEP US POSTED

9. Member
    I personally would take the Sabre over the Margay every day of the week. They serve a completely different purpose.

10. Member

Re: Sabre vs Margay Which One

Just for conversational purposes, I'm going to cut and paste from BCB's owner's forum:
    <table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by b2z aka Eric &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">
    I have been wanting to get into a Basscat since I met Billy M. at the LR boat show years ago, he got me hooked on BCB (pun intended) pretty bad, although I have resisted temptation and never pulled the trigger on a BCB (or any other boat, for a variety of reasons). But the new promo on the Margay with the Vision Tour package has me thinking hard on making a visit to a local dealer. This will be my first real boat and am pondering a few questions and am hoping to get some input from the board:

1. Is there a performance difference in the Sabre vs. Margay from the extra length of the Sabre?
    2. I have fished tx's as a co-angler for several years, and with a boat, plan on moving up to the boater side eventually. Will the Margay suit the needs of the casual tournament angler (BFL's, BMWS etc...) or am i better off holding out for a 20'er that is several years old?
    3. Most of the fishing I will be doing will be on the Deleware River and the Chesapeake Bay (Susquehanna Flats, Gunpowder, etc...) is the Margay a good match for tidal river fishing, or better suited for lakes and impoundments?

Thanks,
    Eric</td></tr></table>

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by Bass Cat Boats &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">We would take the Margay over the Sabre Vision ourselves. The rides will be different and the Margay is a good one.

Though on a Sabre FTD we would take the Sabre FTD for the equipment and options. Speeds on a Margay may be better, though livewells, storage and the difference in many areas would put us back in the Sabre FTD. Of course it also will cost more for a Sabre FTD.

BCB </td></tr></table>

So, basically BCB says they'd take the Margay over the Sabre, but if the Sabre FTD is an option, then they'd take the Sabre FTD all day long. I couldn't blame them! But when price gets put to paper, the difference between a Margay and a Sabre FTD is not insignificant. I'd give a number, but I don't want to step on anybody's toes.

-David Daye

I haven't fished out of either one, and am interested in what others opinions are on your questions. Here is my take, and its purely speculation and what I have read over the years waiting and researching my first boat.

1) rough water - goes to Sabre because of length. Everything I have read over the years says length dictates this more times than not. I have heard that the Sabre is one of the best rough water 18 footers out there. I imagine the Margay can't be that far behind.

2) stability - flip of the coin. I imagine you will know someone is fishing with you on both boats.

3) resale - too early to tell on the Margay, but its a Bass Cat and all of them hold their value well.

12. Member

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I did forget to mention that the Sabre I was looking at was a FTD. Maybe I am expecting to much out of the smaller boat and should look for an older PII or something a little bigger I will be using it mostly for tourney fishing (local water) and occasionally Kentucky Lake and St Claire.

My one main concern is if I go with an older boat that I will lose out on the warranty. I wish I could pull the strings and just get that new PII Sherm has sitting on the show room floor, but thats not going to happen.

Thanks again Scott

Edit: I am going to talk to Sherm this weekend at the Kokomo Fishing Show he is suppose to be there with a cpl of boats. He also has a 2010 Nitro Z7 its closer to 19' and still has close to 4 yrs warranty left for a little less than a new Margay. So this might be an option. I know its not a BCB but being bigger it should be more stable I think (I'm prob wrong though). It is already decked out with graphs an stuff.

13. Member

Yeah, by the time you get a Sabre FTD spec'd out with a medium+ amount upgrades, you're pretty dang near PII price range.

Personally, I was going to go with a Sabre FTD with a 150ProXS. By the time I added some side imaging graphs, "stripper" pole on the trailer, and this and that...and MSRP was really starting to climb.

My Margay with the free Vision Tour upgrade was nearly $9k less than the Sabre FTD that I spec'd out, and I got a lot of those features that I was wanting on the Sabre FTD. I'm not blowing smoke and saying I got it all, not by any stretch, but I did get the stuff I felt was important 'to me'.

It really sounds like you need to have a heart to heart with your wallet and find out which is more important to you between warranty, purchase price, and size.
    Rick Pierce himself will say that he won't 'force' you to buy a Bass Cat, though he obviously wouldn't mind if you did. He said it to me, and I heard him say it time and time again to others: he'd rather see you buy a boat that makes YOU happy, and realizes that isn't a Bass Cat for every person.

EDIT: Did you you happen to see the 2008 Sabre FTD with the 175 Optimax on the Boats4Sale page here? Motor warranty until May 2013. Looks ridiculously well-maintained. Price, iirc, is $24,500. And that boat is flat loaded with upgrades.
    -David Daye

14. Member

I have a margay with a 150 pro xs on it and i am out running my buddies sabre hands down. and i also fish the flw and bassmaster weekend series. for the money i will go with a margay all day long you can beat that sabre to the fishing hole as i have on many occasions and some 19 and 20 footers were crying when i passed their 200's. but it's up to you. from a serious tournament angler i would go margay everytime. and i fish lake martin in al in the winter months 3 ft waves white capping and my margay handles big water just fine.
    2017 Triton TRX 19 Patriot 2017 225Mercury Pro XS

WAR EAGLE!!!!!!!

15. Member

Re: Sabre vs Margay Which One (JROD78)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by JROD78 &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">I have a margay with a 150 pro xs on it and i am out running my buddies sabre hands down. and i also fish the flw and bassmaster weekend series. for the money i will go with a margay all day long you can beat that sabre to the fishing hole as i have on many occasions and some 19 and 20 footers were crying when i passed their 200's. but it's up to you. from a serious tournament angler i would go margay everytime. and i fish lake martin in al in the winter months 3 ft waves white capping and my margay handles big water just fine. </td></tr></table>

Post some #'s at WOT with your tourney load and tanks full. Love to see'em

16. Member

Re: Sabre vs Margay Which One (mcherry)

Nevermind I see the new post now.

Re: Sabre vs Margay Which One (JROD78)

I looked both over pretty well at Sherms open house. Length and width wise, they are really close but I did notice that the seat height and trolling motor area are different between the two. I would highly recommend anyone trying to decide between them to go look at - and sit in both. Just looked to me like shorter or taller people will find that they physically fit different.

The compartment layout is completely different too, I imagine most everyone would find a personal preference from one to the other.

Both are really nice and each have their advantages. Which one I like better, or someone else likes better, might not be what you like best...
    BassCat Sabre FTD ~ 150 ProXS

18. Member

I don't know if Sherm ever listed my old Sabre FTD on his web site? It's LOADED on a tandem trailer, I had Sherm do ALL the suggested maintenance. Bought new and traded with him for a Cougar AE, If you are in the market living in IN give him a call on the boat.

19. Member

Re: Sabre vs Margay Which One (mcherry)

well with 2 adults a full tan k of gas 30 or so rods full live well i am running 62 and I handle big water just fine. and me and my partner are about 480 ilbs worth. and i make long runs in the boat the gas mileage is phenominal so the 26 gal tank really doesn't play a factor and the 2.5 oil resevoir will last about 3 full tanks. Gonna put her to the test again tommorrow I have a 200 boat tournament tommorrow. If you have any other questions let me know.
    2017 Triton TRX 19 Patriot 2017 225Mercury Pro XS

WAR EAGLE!!!!!!!

20. Moderator

Scott I have the Margay water ready, A Sabre FTD water ready and we could even take out the Z-7 Nitro..That's the best way for you to answer your questions on them all and looks like the weather's headed to spring.... Sherm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast