New Merc 150 4Stroke and Dual Console on a Margay?

BCB,

I am getting closer and closer to pulling the trigger on a boat -- Been awhile since my last boat (15 years) and coming back to bassin now that my 23 years in the USAF is done, and we have settled down. After looking most of the Fall and Winter, the Margay is my Target. I am impressed by BCB, the board here (daily lurking) and like the "values" BCB has displayed.

I know the Margay is the new "runt" but it will be the last boat I buy, and is big enough for what I plan to do -- my girls are grown and almost through college, and the wife has even shown some interest in coming along so this whole rant leads to the following questions:

1). The wife would appreciate the Second console. I have seen the prototypes on the Facebook page for the Margay. Is it done yet? Can you add that DC after the fact? i.e. I see 3 Margays with 2.5 hours of me. If I bought now, can my dealer add the second console after the sale, or do I need to order it that way? 30+ years with the wife "When she is happy -- everyone is happy" :)

2). The 150 Merc 4 stroke is a new motor. I know with a new product comes some potential "bugs/issues" BUT that motor looks like it could be a perfect match for the Margay. BCB what say you, will the 150 Merc 4s do the trick on a Margay? You guys tried this yet? Thoughts?

That is all -- Looking forward to tight lines this summer, and getting back to the things I love :)

Dave

Re: New Merc 150 4Stroke and Dual Console on a Margay? (dvan)

1. Yes the console is done though we don't know of one ordered yet. The install is simple and most can handle that task. The Margay is no runt, it runs and handles well with great performance character across the board.

2. We do like the new four stroke and it performed well for us on the Margay. It is in stock soon and we ran a prototype one the Margay in October and the Sabre FTD last August. We think it will drop maybe a couple of MPH and suffer nowhere else.

You have a great dealer in Scott at S & D and they have excellent service. If you prefer the next closest dealer it is James Wilkins at Bowie Marine in Texas, and perhaps either Rockwall, TX or Borken Bow, OK. There is also Gibson Bait, Tackle and Marine in the Grove area.

3. Member

I playfully titled my thread about my boat "runt of the litter", but I agree with Bass Cat, it does not behave like a runt.

If you have any questions that I might be able to answer, feel free to IM me.
    BCB will definitely give you solid advice and tell it like it is, though.
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

4. Member

Re: New Merc 150 4Stroke and Dual Console on a Margay? (1781ccT)

Although the smallest (aka "runt") with the 150 on the back it could be one of the most Nimble Cats out there :) In this cause being the smallest Cat has some advantages -- especially in the water I plan on fishing :)

5. Member

Re: New Merc 150 4Stroke and Dual Console on a Margay? (Bass Cat Boats)

BCB -- As always thanks for the reply! I have been talking with S & D and drooling over the images they have up on the website. Weather has been in the 50's and 60's which is making my trigger finger "itchy". The wife (CFO) is saying we can have a bigger down payment in April/May -- Thus I am thinking about the 150 4 Stroke....

Appreciate the quick response! So when you say "The install is simple and most can handle that task." is that most Customers? or most dealers?

Dave

6. Member

Every dealer should be able to handle the install of the passenger console. I think they meant most customers who are reasonable competent with hand tools and a drill/hole saw could handle the install.

Personally, I'd probably pay the dealer to do it. But that's mostly because I don't want to be the guy cutting the hole in the boat.
    -David Daye

7. Member

Agreed -- Drilling into a brand-new boat would make me squeamish -- lol

1781ccT I read what you said about why you bout the 115 Pro XS on your Margay, and it seems that we think alike in our reasoning, as I am not a "Go Fast" kinda guy, BUT now that you have had your Margay out on the water, are you still holding strong in your reasoning? i.e. Hmmm maybe I should have gotten the 150? Just curious, as I contemplate which way to go..... That new 150 4 stroke (Discussion from another thread) has me VERY intrigued.

I know, most will say, buy the biggest motor you can, you can always drive slower :)

Dave

8. Member

Oh, that's a very valid question, imo.

I'm still absolutely satisfied with my boat. The lake I fish is about 10-11 miles long and about 1/2 - 3/4 mile wide for the most part. Where I launch is about the mid-point of the lake.

Even when I'm fully loaded down with two 200+ guys, a full 26 gallons of fuel, a medium load of tackle, and the boat just doesn't seem to have the lift to get the hull fully out of the water and air underneath it...I'm still running 40mph. From one end to the other, that's still a max ride of <30 minutes to travel the whole thing. But there is no shortage of power between minimum planing speed and 40mph. It jumps pretty strong through those midrange speeds when loaded down. The difference, really, is once my boat is loaded down, it just doesn't seem to be able to air out the hull and reach those 50+ speeds.

When I'm the only one in the boat (most trips so far), or with my wife, who's only ~115lbs, it'll air out and lift out of the water even with a full tank of fuel. My father in law, who weighs about 200lbs, got to experience the higher spectrum of speed capabilities...and the difference there was that I only had between 1/2 and 1/4 tank of fuel. 26 gallons of fuel weighs about 200lbs, so I think there's a pretty sharp line in terms of weight being carried in the boat versus getting enough lift to get the hull fully up and out of the water.

I'm honestly still quite happy with the decision. I was able to buy a whole lot of upgrades for that cost difference between the 115ProXS and any V-6 motor (including the 135). Ultimately, for me, those upgrades make me happier than I would be if I could always run 50+mph no matter what load I had in the boat. My home lake just really doesn't require something that fast. If I have a fishing partner that simply just can't stand to go that slow, well, we can take his boat.

IIRC, the price difference between the 115ProXS and 150ProXS was about $2400, so it was pretty big jump in price.
    -David Daye

9. Member

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by 1781ccT &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">
    Even when I'm fully loaded down with two 200+ guys, a full 26 gallons of fuel, a medium load of tackle, and the boat just doesn't seem to have the lift to get the hull fully out of the water and air underneath it...I'm still running 40mph. </td></tr></table>

When you know you are going to have a big load in the boat consider dropping your jackplate 1/4" or so. It should brong the lift back OR sned you prop to have some cup added to increase lift, this would drop your prms though so it may not be an option if you are not close to max rpms already..

10. Member

Re: New Merc 150 4Stroke and Dual Console on a Margay? (xb03fs)

The margay seems to really start lifting good at speeds over 55 from my impression of it so far
    "Luminous beings are we not this crude matter." Yoda

11. Member

Re: New Merc 150 4Stroke and Dual Console on a Margay? (xb03fs)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by xb03fs &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">

When you know you are going to have a big load in the boat consider dropping your jackplate 1/4" or so. It should brong the lift back OR sned you prop to have some cup added to increase lift, this would drop your prms though so it may not be an option if you are not close to max rpms already..</td></tr></table>

Hmmm...we might be on to something.

I measured my prop to pad, and it looks like I definitely have room to actually go UP on the plate. But at ~54-55mph, I'm not fully trimmed out, yet I'm bumping 5700rpm. Of course, that's in cool fall temps, so my plan was to wait until spring/summer and then check to see how that affects my numbers.

This becomes more of a puzzle every day!
    -David Daye

12. Member

Re: New Merc 150 4Stroke and Dual Console on a Margay? (nightbasser)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by nightbasser &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">The margay seems to really start lifting good at speeds over 55 from my impression of it so far </td></tr></table>

Mine starts to lift pretty good at ~43-45mph, and just comes out higher and higher as speeds elevate to about 50. From there, mine is about as high as it'll come out with my setup.

Once it starts to lift, there's one brief moment where the bow gets a tad squirrelly. It actually seems like it could be about the time where the Hamby's leaves the water. I could be wrong on that, though!
    -David Daye