Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mikesxpress

Exclamation Anti-Fuel backsplash (puke) Perko valves install

Got tired of listening for fuel fill, standing on one leg, only filling on a full moon, etc... and it still puking gas out of a $70K boat so I fixed it.

$59.71 shipped from Good Boat Gear.

After you pull the seats remove the screws securing the fuel filler caps and let hang.
    Back off hose clamps and slide up the hose.
    Small thin flat tip required to slip between the hose and tank necks to break it loose.
    Muscle to back the hose off the neck. The neck is about 4" long so it takes some grunts and twists to get them off.
    Note: The one on the passenger side is a bear as you have to push against a short section of hose to the filler cap but it does come off.
    Used Super lube and coated each valve and inside the hose to allow for pushing it in just past where the neck will sit after re-install. *Note flow arrow on valve!!
    Install back on the necks and re-clamp.

Performance test:
    Both tanks down to 1/4.
    Filler nozzle in upside down.
    Fill speed at 3/4.
    Filled up and clicked off. NO FREEKING PUKING!!!
    Lacks about 2 gallons of being totally full when it clicks off the 1st time. You can trigger the rest in.
    Bonus!! Now when your tanks are full to the top it will not slosh out the vent line going around a turn and run down the side of your boat like before.
    Best 60 bucks I have spent on this pig!!!
    Last edited by mikesxpress; 02-17-2018 at 07:22 AM.

Looks good. So, those slide up inside the hose?
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

3. mikesxpress
    Yes. Just above the neck on the tanks.

Do you have the part number?

So, I take it this is just a check valve? Seems like a no-brainer. I should have thought of that!
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

6. Member
    I just installed a couple of these on my 08 Z21. The starboard side was fairly easy because of the longer hose. The port side was a royal pain. It took about an hour to get the hose off of the neck on the tank. I even had to take the screws that hold the cap end off just above the rub rail. I probably should have bought a new hose as the one I had was a little deformed and made it hard to get the check valve in. I had to get a piece of tube (luckily I had the right size) bang it in. I pre-lubed everything before I stuck it in. On another note. I had to leave the starboard side off (to include the vent tube) to allow for the port side hose to have room to come out. Once the valves were in I did check the operation of the valves before I reinstalled the hoses with compressed air.
    On the up side. I found them on sale at West Marine for $5 each. Haven’t filled my tank yet. I will this weekend.

7. Member
    Does this make it to where you can run the gas pump at a quicker rate and it doesn't splash out on you? Or does this just help for when the tank gets full?

8. mikesxpress
    JT read my initial post. Anti-puke.

9. Member
    BTW mikesxpress. Great write up. It helped a lot. Thanks for sharing it.

10. mikesxpress
    Your welcome Patrick. I share what works for me.

11. Banned
    A Great idea, but from what I have found they are around $14.00 per each on average. Was the price you paid a misprint?

If anybody is interested, I have a couple of these Perko valves I bought for my boat that won't fit into the fuel fill lines as they are much smaller than the standard 1.5" size. I think mine are only about 3/4", and as best I can tell, none of these are made for lines that size. I'll ship them to whoever wants them for $20 which is a fair bit less than I paid for them.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

13. Member
    I don't believe Perko manufactures these Back-Splash Valve any longer. I bought a pair from West Marine in February and paid a whopping $3.57 each + shipping and I can tell you, they were a terrific investment. Work perfectly. Yes they were a bit of a challenge to install, but absolutely worth the effort. Here are the part numbers.... if you can find them, I would get them installed.

PERKO
    In-Hose Fuel Check Valve
    Model # 14981393
    MFG # 0635DP0

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/perko...alve--14981393
    http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=92936&dateline=150203  9213
    2013 Ranger Z519 / 225 Mercury Pro XS

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikez521 View Post
    A Great idea, but from what I have found they are around $14.00 per each on average. Was the price you paid a misprint?
    No, they were on sale at west marine

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by patcal19 View Post
    BTW mikesxpress. Great write up. It helped a lot. Thanks for sharing it.
    Mike, nice job! Great to have knowledgeable people to share their experience!

16. Member
    Drew PM me, I’ve been looking for these. Thanks!
    A fisherman is a jerk on one end of the line
    ~~~~ waiting for a jerk on the other ~~~~

2007 Triton TR21XHP
    2006 Mercury 250 Optimax Pro XS

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    JT read my initial post. Anti-puke.
    I know you said anti puke but I don't think I worded the question I had correctly. What I'm trying to ask is did this only help the tank not to "puke" when it gets full? Or does it make it to where you can pump fuel in faster and it not puke on you. I saw where you said your test were done at 3/4 speed on the pump and wasn't sure if you were able to pump at that same speed before or if you had to go slower as in only 1/2 or some slower on the fill speed?

18. mikesxpress
    On allot of Ranger boats (and many others) getting the fuel into the tanks was a challenge prior to installing these valves. You had to run the fill at half speed or less, nozzle inserted upside down, listen for the impending gurgle, and hopefully stop before it puked gas all over. You had a 50/50 chance.

I now fill at 3/4 speed (venting can't keep up at full speed on most pumps), with the nozzle in normal position, and it clicks off just like in your truck. Yet another boat evil corrected.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    On allot of Ranger boats (and many others) getting the fuel into the tanks was a challenge prior to installing these valves. You had to run the fill at half speed or less, nozzle inserted upside down, listen for the impending gurgle, and hopefully stop before it puked gas all over. You had a 50/50 chance.

I now fill at 3/4 speed (venting can't keep up at full speed on most pumps), with the nozzle in normal position, and it clicks off just like in your truck. Yet another boat evil corrected.
    Good deal thanks for clarifying that for me! Looks like I'll be getting one of these soon!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast