Learning to drive a bass boat

With spring arriving now we are having a lot of conversations on how to drive bass boats again. The videos and help aids many have referenced do not apply to the actual methods that should be used. We wanted to bring this video back to the top from a couple seasons back. Randy Vance literally was only able to drive a bass boat into the lower 60's successfully. By the end of this one afternoon video shoot he was able to run well into the 70's and successfully knocked on 78.6 MPH that day.

If you need to learn, please take time to study the methods presented here and how to.

BCB

2. Member

3. Member
    a great video for everyone!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

This should be pinned at the top of the page, I've helped a number of guys get more performance and learn to trust their Cats, the first step is having them watch this video.

5. Member

7. Member
    Question from a Phoenix owner looking for my next boat...do you have to "drive" the new Puma STS? I have heard that Bass Cats are different than other makers, but have never been in one.

It is no different than your Phoenix in that regard, some of those require driver input also. All boats are like the video describes, it is just that most other brands can be driven with less knowledge and perform alright. A BCB will require you to learn how some and uses little trim input and lower jackplate settings.

Thank you,

BCB

Quote Originally Posted by kwilliams325 View Post
    Question from a Phoenix owner looking for my next boat...do you have to "drive" the new Puma STS? I have heard that Bass Cats are different than other makers, but have never been in one.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    It is no different than your Phoenix in that regard, some of those require driver input also. All boats are like the video describes, it is just that most other brands can be driven with less knowledge and perform alright. A BCB will require you to learn how some and uses little trim input and lower jackplate settings.

Thank you,

BCB
    Great info to know! Thank you! Sure liked the looks of the ones from the Classic this weekend.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post

Thank you,

BCB
    Little trim and lower motor, far different from a Triton or Stratos. That's the main reason why most Bass Cats run better with a Fury than a Tempest.

The principles apply to all bass boats. Trim and height are regulated by steering torque, which is slippage.

BCB

12. Member
    coming from a Phoenix -- PHX specifically -- as has been mentioned definitely less trim, especially early, and JP lower.

You will love the STS. Had mine out today on Guntersville in SW winds (straight up the channel) -- rode amazing. The biggest difference between the PHX for me and the STS was the ride is more on top with the cat. You will love it. There is way more storage than you think. Plus, the trailer is 100x better. On the trailer, you also dont need to back it in as far as a phoenix trailer.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by caddyjoe77 View Post
    coming from a Phoenix -- PHX specifically -- as has been mentioned definitely less trim, especially early, and JP lower.

You will love the STS. Had mine out today on Guntersville in SW winds (straight up the channel) -- rode amazing. The biggest difference between the PHX for me and the STS was the ride is more on top with the cat. You will love it. There is way more storage than you think. Plus, the trailer is 100x better. On the trailer, you also dont need to back it in as far as a phoenix trailer.
    I will never forget the first time I got in my first Cat in 2011, a Puma FTD. Jumped in, took off, and jumped on that trim switch. Boat was all over the place. Thought something was wrong with the hull. Eventually learned that Cats don’t need, or like, much trim.

As far as the trailer, it is something that is often overlooked. I have read many posts over the years of complaints with the Marine Master trailers that Phoenix puts under their rigs. Don’t know why they don’t just start building them in house. BCB trailers are top notch.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

Last edited by Macsimus; 04-03-2024 at 06:34 PM.
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.