Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    If any of the other merc owners have any service tips or want to do a how to thread for your 4 strokes etc please post them up I would be happy to add them to the sticky.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

2. Member
    Oil change any of you guy do your own oil and lower unit oil changes ?
    As far as motor oil filters do you buy "boat motor" like QuickSilver filters ? I like Fram filters they have a filter listed on there web site . I have a Mercury 60hp four stroke 2013. The Fram is a few dollars less than quicksilver Wal-Mart has both look alike.
    Your thoughts ??? Thanked

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Weez556 View Post
    Oil change any of you guy do your own oil and lower unit oil changes ?
    As far as motor oil filters do you buy "boat motor" like QuickSilver filters ? I like Fram filters they have a filter listed on there web site . I have a Mercury 60hp four stroke 2013. The Fram is a few dollars less than quicksilver Wal-Mart has both look alike.
    Your thoughts ??? Thanked
    Fram generally does poorly in testing and in reputation.
    A few dollars more for a once or twice-a-year filter change on an engine that costs many thousands of dollars? The choice is simple; genuine Mercury/Quicksilver parts.

4. Member
    I wonder who makes the QuickSilver filters ?

IMO its best to stick with genuine parts. I have never had a problem paying for OEM parts and service materials for the boat and my vehicles as well. Everything marine is rediculously priced I just get used to it.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

6. Member
    I would not use a Fram on my weedeater much less boat are car. Tons of testing in the automotive world that they are sub-par. Some things you just don't cheap out on.

On another note, I buy Mercury so I don't have to work on it.
    Last edited by turbocoupe; 05-04-2015 at 08:34 PM.
    2009 Tracker PT190
    80lb Xi5
    Dual Power Poles
    6inch Plate
    HDS
    Stainless ComancheSteering wheel
    Stainless pop-up tiedowns
    Comanche Passenger rodholder
    Boat Buckle Rod Straps
    JBL Stereo with JBL10" Marine Sub.
    150 ProXS, 25 Trophy Plus, 72mph GPS (light), 24 Fury @68mph (heavy)

Mercury 40-60 EFI 4 stroke oil change

Mercury 60 hp 4 Stroke, oil change.

My motor is a 2006, but this should hold true for all years to date.

First trim motor to about 45°. Turn steering wheel all the way to the left so the drain plug is pointing down at floor. Some manuals will tell you to let it stand like this for about five minutes. This will let all the oil drain down. How ever, I go ahead and pull the plug and let it drain. Pull the dip stick to vent. Once the oil has stop draining. Raise motor about 4 or 5" and let it drain. Then lower motor about the same distance and let drain. Once it's done, lower motor to a eye level position. Replace drain plug, and switch out the oil filter. ( If you buy the oil change kit from a Mercury dealer. It will have everything you need to do the job. Also a plastic drain cup that goes under the filter for no mess. ) only thing left is to fill with the manufacturers designated weight and viscosity for your climate.

PS. This is how I do my oil change. Not intended to Counter Mercurys owners manual.
    Last edited by TritonTRXV8; 11-14-2015 at 09:36 PM.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

Mercury 4 Sroke Oil Change Kits Part Numbers

Thank you nujer99 for posting this info. You can use these part numbers for purchasing oil change kits online for your Mercury 4 stroke kits. They include everything needed for the change at a good value. All Merc Genuine Parts too!!

Mercury 4-Stroke Outboard Oil Change Kit 40/50/60 HP EFI P/N 8M0081916

Mercury 4-Stroke Outboard Oil Change Kit 75/90/115 HP EFI P/N 8M0081917 (1.7L Engines 2014 and older models)

Oil Change Kit includes: 25w-40 engine oil, oil filter, drain plug seal, drip tray (where applicable), instructions printed on box

Mercury 100 hour Maintenance Service Kit 40/50/60 HP P/N 8M0090558 (does not include oil)

Mercury 100 hour Maintenance Service Kit 75/90/115 HP P/N 8M0097856 (1.7L Engines, does not include oil)

Mercury 100 hour Maintenance Service Kit 75/90/115 HP P/N 8M0097854 (2.1L Engines, does not include oil)

Maintenance Kits Include: oil filter, high pressure fuel filter, low pressure fuel filter, oil drain plug seal, gear case drain plug seal, thermostat kit
    Last edited by TritonTRXV8; 02-15-2016 at 10:08 PM.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

9. Member
    Dealer said.......never take just one of their opinions as fact. Get a couple of opinions and remember how they make their money! SCHMUCKS!!

Quote Originally Posted by jubantique View Post
    Dealer said.......never take just one of their opinions as fact. Get a couple of opinions and remember how they make their money! SCHMUCKS!!
    Who are you talking about?
    2014 Ranger RT188
    Mercury Fourstroke

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jubantique View Post
    The OEM filter were good enough for the factory engineers.
    Any other filter that's not been through independent comparison testing is as you said; opinion.

12. Member
    Any 1 having problems with power trim bleeding off over night on 2019 115 Merc 4 stroke mine has bled off overnight may have to take back to dealer later in the summer any info on this is greatly appreciated and thanks. Avx 1880 Merc 115 ,4 stroke

You might check the manual bleed valve to be sure it is tight. Don’t know about the four strokes but on my two stroke you stick a long screw driver through an access hole in the port side motor mounting bracket.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by James 10 View Post
    Any 1 having problems with power trim bleeding off over night on 2019 115 Merc 4 stroke mine has bled off overnight may have to take back to dealer later in the summer any info on this is greatly appreciated and thanks. Avx 1880 Merc 115 ,4 stroke
    My 2017 115 ProXS 4S trim has bled down from day one. It does fine all other times, it only bleeds down when sitting static over night. My dealer had me clear the lines by raising it and then bleeding them by lowering using the screw. That worked for a day or so, then it started bleeding down static again. They must have a bad design? I just stick a piece of wood in there when it's sitting over night and trim down on the little one by piece of wood. I've done that for nearly three years now. One day I may take it to the dealer and get them to check it out? I guess I will get it checked out when I have my three year service done? I do my own annual services using Mercs oil change kit I buy at the dealer so they have a record of it in case there is a warranty dispute.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    The OEM filter were good enough for the factory engineers.
    Any other filter that's not been through independent comparison testing is as you said; opinion.
    I've used both quicksilver and wix filters. Pure speculation here, but they're probably both made by the same company.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12