Thread: 4th weekend...

4th weekend...

I'll be in Granger the weekend of the 4th and looking for a smaller lake to take a couple guys out. Trying to bank on the smaller the lake the less traffic. A fee years ago we hit a small idle only lake that had pads on both ends... Can't remember the name for the life of me but we caught them pretty good. if someone would give an idea or two I'd appreciate it.

Would love to get on a smallmouth bite and had thoughts about Benton harbor or michigan city but no clue how hard it would be to find them which is why I was thinking smaller lakes.

Thanks,
    Rob

The St.Joe river in South Bend has good smallmouth fishing and not much boat traffic at all. You launch at Memorial park by IUSB. You have to be careful going upstream but it's worth it. I'd stay away from Michigan City and Benton Harbor they'll be packed with big boats. I can't think of any idle only lakes nearby except Chain of Lakes on the westside of South Bend in Lydick. If you need help with the river IM me.

3. Member
    Thanks Brian. The lake we went to was a good 45min away and still in Indiana.

I hear they're biting really good on St. Clair...

5. Member
    Yeah.... I see something about the wife and family having an issue with St Clair.

Good point. You should probably just buy a brand new Skeeter FX w/ 250 Sho to appease the wife then...

If you want smallies, St.Joe is definitely the ticket. IUSB launch(Memorial) or Darden Rd stretch will have very little boat traffic but water will be high, but it is going down now...slowly.

It's my home stretch, but Memorial/IUSB has been a bit stingy this year with the high muddy water. The Maggie's stretch has been good, but just a head's up, there's an R&B Open there on 7.6. I like Merrifield stretch too, but I have't had a chance to hit it yet...pretty sure it's high and muddy too.

Chartruese/black back or red/black squarebills have been the ticket, even better with some rattles...
    2019 Bass Cat Caracal, Mercury 225 Pro XS 4 stroke

For Northern IN/Southern MI action and BCB love, follow me on instagram: @professorbeard