Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Quick info regarding GoPro, filming resolutions, and memory used

One of my main concerns regarding buying a GoPro, specifically to use for fishing, was how much footage I could get onto one microSD memory card, depending on what resolution and how many frames per second I was recording at. After doing some filming myself, I can give you guys an idea of what to expect (for those that are curious as well).

One trip I went fishing, and recorded 3 hours and 6 minutes of footage almost nonstop. I had to stop once to replace a battery about 2 hours into recording. I had my GoPro Hero3+ Silver set to 720p at 30 frames per second, and total, that footage took up 19.7gb of space on my 64gb memory card, so we'll just call it 20gb for 3 hours.

Another trip, I recorded 22.5 minutes of footage over 13 separate videos, set to 720p at 120 frames per second. That footage took up 3.97gb of space, so we'll just call it 4gb for 20 minutes for simplicity's sake.

EDIT 6/22/14: Recent trip, I recorded 5 hours of footage, set to 720p at 60 frames per second. That footage took up 32gb of space.

So, you should be able to record roughly 9 hours and 30 minutes of footage, set at 720p at 30 frames per second, on a 64gb memory card...
    ...or...
    ...roughly 10 hours of footage, set to 720p at 60 frames per second, on a 64gb memory card...
    ...or...
    ...roughly 5 hours and 20 minutes of footage, set at 720p at 120 frames per second, on that same 64gb memory card.

EDIT 6/22/14: The footage I shot at 720p@60fps was during the day, so my scenes were more consistent. The lighting was great and consistent all day. When I shot the footage of 720p@30fps, I was filming at the end of the day, and the light was fading fast for the last 1.5 hours of filming. With that changing scenery, that must have added to the file sizes. I kind of understand how it works, but I'm not sure how to put it into words.

Here's some other little tid bits I've learned since I purchased my GoPro for those that are interested. If you are using the wifi out to your smart phone, TURN IT OFF AFTER YOU GET IT SET UP!! That thing drains both your GoPro AND phone battery incredibly fast!! I learned that the hard way. When I film continuously, from the moment I turn on the camera, I can get about 2 hours out of a battery. Turning it on and off to get certain shots seems to drain them a little faster. I haven't done any filming in 1080p yet primarily because it's not really worth the file space, especially if you're just going to upload this stuff to YouTube. YT kills video quality when it condenses it down during the upload process, so that little bit of clarity you get going from 720p to 1080p isn't always worth the extra memory it eats up. If you've got the money to pick up two 64gb memory cards, about probably 4-5 batteries, then I'd say go for it. But if you want to be able to film for an entire day's worth of fishing, without completely breaking the bank, go with 720p at 60fps or less. 60fps will still get you some decent slow motion shots if you want to do that, anything less and it looks choppy, and sounds even worse. 120fps and up is really what you want for good looking and sounding slow-mo footage.

That's all I have to share for now.
    Last edited by Reel Northern Bass; 06-22-2014 at 10:55 PM. Reason: adding information

Excellent! Thanks for the info. I just got another gopro (hero 3+ silver). I'll be referencing this post
    Support 81

3. Moderator
    Excellent info Snoov. I am going to stick this.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadrashPaul View Post
    Excellent info Snoov. I am going to stick this.
    Awesome, thanks Paul. I plan on doing some more filming this weekend in 1080p just to figure out exactly what kind of files sizes I'd be dealing with for X amount of hours of footage. My guess is that 1080p at 60fps will probably only get me about 3.5 hours max worth of footage, but we'll see.

In this instance, you could hard wire the camera for the day and not worry about batteries. Just have to worry about card space. Good info.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carolinagreenhead View Post
    In this instance, you could hard wire the camera for the day and not worry about batteries. Just have to worry about card space. Good info.
    Correct, but you'll need a different case that allows you to do that. I found this guy really cheap on Amazon right now. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER It's just a frame case, won't protect much at all but will allow you to plug in whatever you want to, and still get the same mount that the normal cases come with.
    Last edited by Reel Northern Bass; 06-19-2014 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Found case that works

Here is one option for powering your GoPro.

8. Member
    Added some more info regarding file sizes and whatnot. It's not all that cut and dry for "X amount of hours takes up X amount of space", because as I mentioned in my edit, a lot depends on the scenery. If you're in good lighting all day, the camera stays still, and your lighting just stays consistent, you should be able to get more out of your memory card, because there's less "info" going on with the camera adjusting for changing lighting, which means smaller files sizes.

Heres a handy chart I found on GoPro website for recording time on different SD cards

HERO4 Silver Recording Time in Each Video Setting
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

10. Member
    I should be able to record non stop all day with Hero5 Black then...I have a 256gig card in it...
    Jimmy
    Phoenix 721
    12" Bobs Hydro Plate
    Mercury 300 Xs
    Dave Bush Racing Kit
    28.5 Bravo

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jav400SDC View Post
    I should be able to record non stop all day with Hero5 Black then...I have a 256gig card in it...
    Yup you will, so long as you've got power to it. The Hero 5's work great with just plugging in your USB-C cord into it, and pulling power off of a big power pack. I bought a few 10,000 and 15,000 MAH power packs off of Amazon that work great. Plenty of power for even a 10 hour day of fishing, and then some.

12. Member
    Well the Hero 5 decided to fly off the boat at 82mph, so picked up a new Hero 8 on Black Friday and another 256g card...This one came with an extra battery. The video stabilization with Hypersmooth 2.0 is amazing!
    Jimmy
    Phoenix 721
    12" Bobs Hydro Plate
    Mercury 300 Xs
    Dave Bush Racing Kit
    28.5 Bravo

13. Member
    Well the Hero 5 decided to fly off the boat at 82mph, so picked up a new Hero 8 on Black Friday and another 256g card...This one came with an extra battery. The video stabilization with Hypersmooth 2.0 is amazing!
    That sucks, but I lost my first GoPro as well. Free to anyone willing to dive down to about 180' on Newfound Lake here in NH to find it.

14. Member
    Have any of you guys tried to mount a GoPro to your talons? I see tzer lights has a mount for them on their Facebook page and I'm strongly considering it. What has been your guys experience on your mounting location?

15. Member
    I learned NOT to use the suction cup mount on front of the drivers side base on my Phoenix, it departed the boat at 81.6 mph lol. I bought the new Hero 8 Black and used the perm mount in that location, so far so good. I too seen that on the Talon and wondered how good it would be.
    Jimmy
    Phoenix 721
    12" Bobs Hydro Plate
    Mercury 300 Xs
    Dave Bush Racing Kit
    28.5 Bravo

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkamus View Post
    Have any of you guys tried to mount a GoPro to your talons? I see tzer lights has a mount for them on their Facebook page and I'm strongly considering it. What has been your guys experience on your mounting location?
    On my brother-in-law's Skeeter with 12' Talons we used sticky mounts to the top of the control boxes, additionally we used a small section of paracord to tie to the base of the GoPro and slide around the Talon in case the sticky mount should fail. So far it's been 3 years and they haven't failed.

17. Member
    I bought the Yolotek Powerstick for mine, a much safer/stable option for GoPro mounting. I like how it secures to the boat via threads in stern light.

https://yolotek.com/collections/gopr...-53-stick-only
    Jimmy
    Phoenix 721
    12" Bobs Hydro Plate
    Mercury 300 Xs
    Dave Bush Racing Kit
    28.5 Bravo

18. Member
    I bought the Yolotek Powerstick for mine, a much safer/stable option for GoPro mounting. I like how it secures to the boat via threads in stern light.

https://yolotek.com/collections/gopr...-53-stick-only
    I have the Yolotek as well, works nicely. For me, the Yolotek will come in handy when tubing and wakeboarding or when I want external power for all day recording. Otherwise I plan to put a couple sticky mounts on our Talons like we did on my brother-in-laws boat.

19. Member
    Here is what I did. I'm not totally done yet but this is powered like a YOLO stick and mounted to my talon. I used one slot RAM mount ball what's a washer and then a Ram mount of course.20200108_161203-907x1612.jpg

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkamus View Post
    Here is what I did...
    That looks nice

How are you powering it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast