ponton LED's, who has them on their boat ?

well, the wife and i were sitting on our patio watching the sunset, and this pontoon with led lights the entire length of the toons went cruising by.... well the wife was just enthralled by that, and now she wants ours to be that way also.
    I'm wondering what is legal as far as lighting goes . Anyone know ?

If they were red LED's it was more than likely Rodney Clark. He has a burgundy Q series Bennington and lives near your lake house. I Just installed them for him a few weeks ago. I also have blue LED's under my boat. Law states no exterior lighiting while under way with the exception of bow and stern lights. For me, I will take my chance with the law enforcement over most people running around on High Rock after dark. No doubt they will see me coming and not mistake me for lights on the bank.

3. Member
    that must have been you we saw, the lights were blue, or appeared to be blue, could hve been the reflection off the boat color. Yours looks real nice Josh!

Most of the time if it is ordered from the factory, blue is the default color. When we were a Bennington dealer I had them pre wire the boats but we would add the lights after it arrived at the dealership. I just didn't think a red boat with blue lights looked good. We now sell Misty Harbor boats (as you know) and they will not do any other color than blue either.

And for what it is worth it was not me you seen, the water is too high for me to make it to your side of the lake. I thought I was going to make it this weekend, however the rain Friday messed those plans up.

5. Member
    yeah, i tried to get under the bridge,but wasn't quite enough clearance to feel comfortable trying. What source should i look at for the led's ?

I put a kit together from multiple venders using lights from one and a protective sleve from another. I'd be glad to give you a price on ours.... or I have seen kits on ebay and other LED retailers.

7. Member
    i'll let the wife know you have the light kits, and see what she says, i was thinking about white lights myself, thanks for the info.

I think white would look good as well, let me know if I can help.

9. Member
    saw 2 more toons with blue led's this weekend, i believe you could see them a mile away, i still have to wonder if blue would be illegal, would like to see one with white led's on the water, before we decide what to buy.

Blue Is most OEM's default color, or only option. According to the law they don't care what color it is.... if its turned on while under way, its illegal.

11. Member
    2 reasons they why external LED's are illegal, blue is reserved for Police and DNR, secondly, those lights can interfere with people recognizing your legal lights, navigation and anchor. Would you drive your vehicle around with red and blue lights on top of the cab or roof? Please save the bling for when you are docked.

12. Member
    What if you put Red down the port side and green down the starboard?
    2017 Silverwave 230 CC

Good idea!

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenneths View Post
    What if you put Red down the port side and green down the starboard?
    That would definately be illegal. For one they have to be USCG approved lights two they cant interfer with another boat being able to see your legal lighting.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

15. Member
    I'm in Iowa along the Mississippi River and have a set of blue LED's on my 18' Pontoon. We have a ton of barge traffic as well as our waters being patrolled by the US Coast Guard, DNR, as well as a couple of local Police Departments. I've had several 'I've been boating forever' type captains tell me that running on the river with my lights is illegal however I have never actually been told or warning/ticketed by any law enforcement agency and since they all tend to be a bit sneaky around here hiding in darkness I have to believe that at least one as seen me at some point. If they'd ask me to, I'd happily turn them off and pay a ticket if issued one. I'm with Josh above though and will take my chances of being seen by everyone versus not being seen by one of the offshore speed boats or barges that are always on the river.

With all of that having been said, I also boat responsibly with no drinking/disturbing wildlife and other boaters/fisherman. I can also tell you that blue lights at least around here attract bugs as well as fish. As I cruise through the no wake zones the fish are eager to jump at the pontoons and from time to time I can hear them landing on a 'toon and sliding back into the water.

16. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Attached Images Attached Images

17. Member
    Looks great!