Towing boat from MN to CA- need advise

Hey All!
    I will be traveling from MN to (central) CA in a couple weeks and towing my 1993 Stratos 285 Pro XL (on StratosTrail trailer) behind my 2004 F150 XLT. The trailer does not have brakes and I am concerned about going through high mountain passes/steep grades. I have made the trip several times w/out the boat so I am familiar with the drive. I would prefer going the northern route, thru MO or WY then on to UT & NV and over the Sierra's (Tahoe) into CA.
    But if it is safer/better to go the Southern route, bypassing the major steep grades (Rockies) via NM & AZ & So Cal, I am fine with that. Could anyone who has done this drive (or experience in the Rockies) share any info, tips or suggestions as to which route would be safe and easiest with the boat.
    I appreciate any info, Thanks!

I came from cali years ago. I wouldn't be afraid to go thru the mountains at all. Just stay in the right lane and go at your pace, the semis will be going slow- going up and down the mountains. I lived and drove in the mountains almost all my life, so I feel comfortable. Do what you feel comfortable with!!

3. Member
    Thanks basser7.
    I am in no rush to get out there so taking my time and cruising in the slow lane will not be an issue. Just wanted to make sure it was not a "very bad idea" to take the boat & trailer w/ no brakes over those mountain passes & steep grade.

4. Banned
    Just don't ride the truck brakes on declines. Use your engine to help you brake.

You'll never look back imo ....
    Common sense on stop distances, curves.
    Might hit the od off button for a curvy, hilly road.
    Life is kinda hard but it's
    better than the other options .. er ..option !

6. Member
    Thanks everyone for the tips & suggestions. Now to plan out my trip and get packing!

7. Member
    Basser7 is right. Take it easy and stay to the right. I made that drive a year ago, thru the Rockies from CA to IL with a trailer, 04 F150 4.6 V8, and just took it easy and followed the semitruck procedure.