Thread: Big Worm Hooks

Big Worm Hooks

I have recently started using straight shank flipping hooks and snell knots for my creature baits, and the hook up ratio is significantly better. In the dead of summer I fish 10+in worms religiously, and got thinking about trying this same technique with them. Does anyone else do this? and if so, what size straight shank do you use. When I use EWG i use 5/0 but I run the hook way down the body of the worm. If I do this with the shelled straight shank, wouldn't this defeat the purpose. It seems that I would need somewhere around a 7/0 straight shank to get this same result, but it appears this doesn't exist.

2. Member
    Trokar makes a 7/0 flippin hook maybe try that?

3. Moderator
    In use the 5/0 EWG super line hook on 10" worms...there is really no need to run the hook way down the worm. It's amazing how often (almost always) fish eat the head or the entire worm. I lose VERY few.
    Steve

4. Member
    For 10" worms I like the 7/0 Owner hooks.

Allen

5. Member
    I use the 7/0 trokar flipping hook on 10" power worms. Has worked great so far when fishing shallow. Not so great if making long casts in deep water. It's hard to drive that big hook through the plastic with 15# flouro on a 7' med. Hvy. rod. I prefer to texpose with a 6/0 trokar wide gap.

Pushin\' Tin!!!!

6. Member
    I use a gamakatsu 5/0 worm hook for a ten inch worm. I tie a barb on the back of the hook using a strand of fiber weed guard. Great hook sets and keeps the worm from sliding down in the grass.

7. "That dude" at the ramp colreb2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Munkin View Post
    For 10" worms I like the 7/0 Owner hooks.

Allen
    Yep