Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Exclamation Contacting Don for Technical Support or Questions

I really hate to harp on a topic, but of late, this has gotten so far out of hand that I feel it's a necessity now.

If you need assistance, I'm ALWAYS willing to try and help. However, you should pick ONE of the following (preferably starting at the TOP of the list as the most preferable methods):

1. Post your question, with engine serial number and a BRIEF detailing of your question or problem. If further questions/responses are necessary, be patient and respond as required.

-or-

2. PM me through the BBC system. If you're responding to a PM- DON'T ERASE THE QUOTES, PLEASE.

-or-

3. Email me (can be accomplished by clicking on my member name- NOTE: You must setup YOUR email information, and accept contacts from all members to utilize this feature)

-or-

-Phone the office- many times my staff can assist, and if not, leave a message, I will return your call when I can take a break (I must be able to reach you at the number you provide, however, the FIRST time- only one attempted callback will occur).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For some reason (lately), some feel it necessary to post two or more times in separate forums, send FOUR or more PM's, call the office and leave a message, send an email, and then call back again within 2 hours... yet they don't have voicemail on their phone, and don't ANSWER their phone...
    And all that within 6 hours!

This is simply inconsiderate.

In the time it takes me to sort through all of those contacts.... I could have helped THREE (or more) other people that were patiently waiting.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Additionally:

We will no longer be providing support for E-bay or Amazon Purchases in the Mercury Forums

If you bought two motors, parts, or a bunch of rigging (or Smartcraft) components off E-bay (or Amazon)... please contact your E-bay or Amazon seller for support on those products.

It takes a considerable amount of time to accurately spec out the rigging components for an engine-rigging job... and nearly DOUBLE that amount of time to sort through a bunch of production part numbers that came from cables, adapters, and "stuff" that were purchased through auctions. I find that each week I'm spending 5 or more hours sorting out these situations for folks... most commonly so they can go back to Ebay and buy some more stuff, then contact me when something doesn't work (again).

I'm happy to assist those who are willing to work through NORMAL channels, and even happy to assist in cases where products were purchased from other BBC sponsors (or in normal, Retail Packaging from ANY Authorized Mercury Dealer- which, by the way is a requirement for Parts and Accessories Warranty coverage).

Thank you for your cooperation, and understanding!

Last edited by EuropeanAM; 03-25-2022 at 08:18 AM.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

2. Member

3. Member

Thumbs Up Completely understandable

Never been in a forum where so much structured competent help is provided and where an extremely competent expert shares his knowledge for free! I'm following the forum now for quite a while and Don is regularily most of the days answering every posted question at two rounds per day even on weekends, asking patiently again and again for S/Ns and a proper description of the failure (and being patient with persons posting part numbers and prices ). I can't understand how he's able to do so every day- if I translate the time zones right he begins on the forum before 6am!(!!!) Lets leave him some room to breathe....

Thanks so much for your help!
    Optimax 90 - 2B019339 (2014), Quicksilver 580 Pilothouse (2006)

I understand completely. I am truly grateful and amazed how much help you are to those who frequent this forum. OBTW, If you call and Rhonda answers the phone, she is quite knowledgeable too.

THANKS DON AND RHONDA!

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Agreed. Don seems try and help everyone. While I'm sure he picks up a lot of business from his service on here (I just bought from him), be respectful. If you've never spent a penny with him I can't imagine how anyone can feel it's ok to email, pm,call, call, harrass him for free info and worse get pissed when you don't get an answer in 3 minutes.

6. Member
    Well stated, and I can only imagine the headache and frustration it can cause you.

7. Member
    I know how much the time and trouble that I put into being helpful with import automotive customers and can't imagine doing it and keeping my sanity and civility in the age of the age of the internet. Don get my vote for being a SAINT.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

8. Member
    I will add that I'm able to find most of my questions in the pinned topics at the top of the page. If its something out of the normal stuff I use the search function and search keywords much like you do on Google to find what I'm looking for. I would say 95% of the time somebody has asked the same question before.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    TTT... Thanks for your understanding, folks.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    TTT for a Courteous Reminder.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    TTT... just to refresh the topic, especially the "E-bay" policy.

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM
    I will no longer be providing support for E-bay Purchases.

If you bought two motors, parts, or a bunch of rigging (or Smartcraft) components off E-bay... please contact your E-bay seller for support on those products.

It takes a considerable amount of time to accurately spec out the rigging components for an engine-rigging job... and nearly DOUBLE that amount of time to sort through a bunch of production part numbers that came from cables, adapters, and "stuff" that were purchased through auctions. I find that each week I'm spending 5 or more hours sorting out these situations for folks... most commonly so they can go back to Ebay and buy some more stuff, then contact me when something doesn't work (again).

I'm happy to assist those who are willing to work through NORMAL channels, and even happy to assist in cases where products were purchased from other BBC sponsors (or in normal, Retail Packaging from ANY Authorized Mercury Dealer-
    which, by the way is a requirement for Parts and Accessories Warranty coverage).
    Thank you for your consideration (and cooperation).
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 09-30-2014 at 06:16 AM.

12. Member
    Prairieville, Louisiana / Zolfo Springs, Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by lfb6 View Post
    Never been in a forum where so much structured competent help is provided and where an extremely competent expert shares his knowledge for free!
    Thanks so much for your help!
    You know that the information that Don so FREELY shares with us is just that free to us but Don has to pay to be a sponser on this board and for anyone to ask advice so they can save a penny or two by buying on E-bay is just way over board.
    I know that if I have time to order a part vs going to a local dealer and walking out with part in hand it will come from Don.

Thanks for all you do Don!

13. Faith, Family & Fishin' Bigun''s Avatar
    If Don was paid all the money he has saved us ALL........Don would be on a private island enjoying and ice cold beverage without a care in the world. Thank you Don!!!!!
    1998 Champion 203 & Mercury 225 EFI

14. Member
    Appreciate all you do Don! You are a valued asset to all of us! I have bought from you and Rhonda and have received much advice and info. I will continue to support you and your business, Great Job!!!!!

March is my annual order from Don and Rhonda. Only place to buy parts and maintenance items for me.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    TTT... for a Seasonal Reminder.

Anyone asking Don for help should be aware that helping you pulls him away from his paying customers. We appreciate his help and should be respectful of his priorities.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

18. Member
    +++BIG 1 to all the above comments. new to Merc Forum and it is a real blessing!

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Thanks, Bill!

Bringing this TTT for a seasonal reminder... please take the time to read the first post in this thread.

20. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Time for a yearly reminder. Please take the time to read Post# 1 in this thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast