Page 34 of 40 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkee View Post
    I have two ONIX 10 units networked with an AS ETH 5 box. They share a single map (Navionics) card. Thinking of adding a SOLIX 12 to the mix. Does anyone know if all three units can share one card?

Thanks,

Chuck Campbell
    Alexander, AR
    Yes they all 3 will

Quote Originally Posted by Arkee View Post
    I have two ONIX 10 units networked with an AS ETH 5 box. They share a single map (Navionics) card. Thinking of adding a SOLIX 12 to the mix. Does anyone know if all three units can share one card?

Thanks,

Chuck Campbell
    Alexander, AR
    Yes, the ONIX and SOLIX will share map data with each other, across the network.
    Jimmy Young

2021 Nitro Z19
    Mercury 200 ProXS
    Atlas 10" Hydraulic Jackplate
    Humminbird HELIX 12 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    Humminbird
    HELIX 8 CHIRP MEGA SI GPS G3N
    Humminbird HELIX 12
    CHIRP MEGA DI+ GPS G4N at bow
    Humminbird HELIX 8 CHIRP MEGA DI GPS G3N CHO at bow
    Humminbird MEGA 360
    Minn Kota Ultrex i-Pilot Link
    Dual Power Pole Blades

3. Member
    Hello to all. I have recently installed a couple of Onix 10 Si touch units on my boat. The first one was installed at the console and linked to a Helix gen 1 at the bow. Everything worked perfectly with this setup. I came across a second brand new Onix 10 Si touch at a price I couldn't pass up along with a new Ulterra trolling motor. After installing all the new toys along with the Ethernet hub and doing all the updates I was ready to go. When I was out yesterday form the first time I found the console unit acting up a bit with loosing the depth readout, then showing all kinds of weird depth readings, jumping to 1000ft then down to 2ft then all dashes yet the screen shows the proper depth at the chart sometimes. Other times it was jumping all around on the screen showing different depth as it looked like it had trouble with the auto depth setting. This was all on 2d and Di. The front unit worked perfectly. I disconnected the networking cable from the console unit thinking somehow it might be sharing the bow transducer but that didn't solve anything. Can't figure what went wrong with this unit. I did turn off CHIRP at the end of the day and it seemed to be less frequent with the issue but I didn't have enough time to continue with the issue as we were leaving the lake. Any input would be grateful.

Quote Originally Posted by 2footroper View Post
    Hello to all. I have recently installed a couple of Onix 10 Si touch units on my boat. The first one was installed at the console and linked to a Helix gen 1 at the bow. Everything worked perfectly with this setup. I came across a second brand new Onix 10 Si touch at a price I couldn't pass up along with a new Ulterra trolling motor. After installing all the new toys along with the Ethernet hub and doing all the updates I was ready to go. When I was out yesterday form the first time I found the console unit acting up a bit with loosing the depth readout, then showing all kinds of weird depth readings, jumping to 1000ft then down to 2ft then all dashes yet the screen shows the proper depth at the chart sometimes. Other times it was jumping all around on the screen showing different depth as it looked like it had trouble with the auto depth setting. This was all on 2d and Di. The front unit worked perfectly. I disconnected the networking cable from the console unit thinking somehow it might be sharing the bow transducer but that didn't solve anything. Can't figure what went wrong with this unit. I did turn off CHIRP at the end of the day and it seemed to be less frequent with the issue but I didn't have enough time to continue with the issue as we were leaving the lake. Any input would be grateful.
    Does that occur all the time or just when the trolling motor is deployed?
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    All the time. Even when running at top speed. Always had good depth readings even when running at 40 mph. Now sometimes all it is is dashes ------. Then other times it's fine. I thought at times it might be trying to share the bows transducer when the motor wasn't deployed so I would disconnect the ethernet cable from the unit but that didn't change much of anything.

The all dashes usually means it has lost its sonar source. double check your selected sonar source in the sonar and networking menu
    I Spend Most of my money on fishing, fishing tackle and boats, Very little is wasted......

Quote Originally Posted by 2footroper View Post

When a ONIX or SOLIX unit looses a depth reading on a multi unit network, it searches the other units until an alternate depth source is found. Each search can take up to 30 seconds. The more units on the network, the worse it can be.

If you go to Settings - Network- Data Sources and Depth1 you can turn off auto configure and set Depth1 to the transducer that you want to show the depth reading.

It is also recommended that you turn off auto configure for depth2 and set it to NONE. Also, if you set your Maximum depth to slightly deeper than the deepest water you fish, the unit will recover more quickly when it looses bottom reading.
    Last edited by jimmybass2; 09-30-2017 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Mind numbing Server Error!
    Jimmy Young

2021 Nitro Z19
    Mercury 200 ProXS
    Atlas 10" Hydraulic Jackplate
    Humminbird HELIX 12 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    Humminbird
    HELIX 8 CHIRP MEGA SI GPS G3N
    Humminbird HELIX 12
    CHIRP MEGA DI+ GPS G4N at bow
    Humminbird HELIX 8 CHIRP MEGA DI GPS G3N CHO at bow
    Humminbird MEGA 360
    Minn Kota Ultrex i-Pilot Link
    Dual Power Pole Blades

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmybass2 View Post
    When a ONIX or SOLIX unit looses a depth reading on a multi unit network, it searches the other units until an alternate depth source is found. Each search can take up to 30 seconds. The more units on the network, the worse it can be.

If you go to Settings - Network- Data Sources and Depth1 you can turn off auto configure and set Depth1 to the transducer that you want to show the depth reading.

It is also recommended that you turn off auto configure for depth2 and set it to NONE. Also, if you set your Maximum depth to slightly deeper than the deepest water you fish, the unit will recover more quickly when it looses bottom reading.
    Thank you for the info. I am heading out to the boat to make these changes. Unfortunately I won't have a chance to check it out for a couple of days though.

9. Member
    I have done what was suggested and all is well. Can't thank you enough for the help.

10. Member

Cable guard for Ulterra

Quote Originally Posted by shuclan View Post
    Wayne,
    I think I would need the XTM 14 20 T for the ONIX, unless I got an adapter that would support the ONIX's round plug-in. The problem with using a trolling motor transducer is trying to figure out how to deal with the chord and keep it out of the prop. The Ulterra is different than the Terrova in that there is no way to install the transducer chord in the shaft, that I am aware of. I can check in the trolling motor section for a solution. I had the same shallow water/hard bottom issue with the US2 on the Terrova I had prior to upgrading to the Ulterra US2. I have implemented the customer service suggestions for eliminating RFI. The US2 only has the issue in shallow water with a hard/rock bottom composition, so I don't think it's an RFI problem. Thanks for your suggestions.
    Phil
    Hey guys, I don't know if this was mentioned before but I just put an Ulterra on my boat last month with a transducer for my Onix 10 SI and this cable guard assembly works perfectly. Wouldn't be without it. Hope this helps.
    http://precisionsonar.com/wp-content...cableguard.mp4

11. Member
    I will be getting a solix 12 mega this coming winter. I have been looking at an onix 10 for the bow. I am trying to determine the best model. With chirp only on 2D and being able to look at anything the solix can put up on its screen.... Is it still worth the higher price of the SI model for non chirp,non mega DI and SI from the bow unit? I know I can do a DI transducer even on the plain ci combo for the price of the ducer. What are your thoughts? Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    I will be getting a solix 12 mega this coming winter. I have been looking at an onix 10 for the bow. I am trying to determine the best model. With chirp only on 2D and being able to look at anything the solix can put up on its screen.... Is it still worth the higher price of the SI model for non chirp,non mega DI and SI from the bow unit? I know I can do a DI transducer even on the plain ci combo for the price of the ducer. What are your thoughts? Bob
    I have a Solix 12 on the console and a Onix 10 si on the bow. They play very together well. sharing maps and mega. I have seen used onix 1o si priced just a few hundred dollars more than the 2d model. that's basically the price of the si transducer difference. worth the extra money IMO.
    I Spend Most of my money on fishing, fishing tackle and boats, Very little is wasted......

13. Member
    I understand more is better but, I am even thinking about NT to save even more. I'm an old man who wants new toys and feel I need to try to do it right but would like to do it cheaper too. Fixed income and all.(not hurting). If I can get a good price I will do the SI CT. Thanks for your ideas. Bob

14. Member
    Personally I would go with the onix sonar combo. You can use the solix to see the finer details of structure and then use the onix to find it and and fish it. I actually have my onix at the console and mega at the bow since that is where I do my fishing from. I fish for stripers so all I need to do is get to an area then I use the trolling motor to search for them. I also do not use a trolling motor transducer either, all my transducers are mounted on the transom. I really like my current setup.

15. Member
    I am mostly trolling from the helm. I use the bow for Bottom bouncing and jigging. Searching from the helm also. I have had SI front and back for years. Thanks for the input Bob

If you have the remote control, the NT model will work well and save you $ if that's what you're thinking.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

17. Member
    Was going there but got a price I could not pass up on a 10 CI CT combo. Now I am thinking about a Di TM ducer but what I see is the 200/455 dual beam. I am wondering if I will still get 2D chirp with that DI puck. If not I will stick with the regular puck. Bob
    Another question. Is there a quality difference between xtm 14 20 t and say us2 with the MKR US2 13. Basically 14 wire vs 9 wire adapted. Thanks
    Last edited by bobcoy; 11-05-2017 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Was going there but got a price I could not pass up on a 10 CI CT combo. Now I am thinking about a Di TM ducer but what I see is the 200/455 dual beam. I am wondering if I will still get 2D chirp with that DI puck. If not I will stick with the regular puck. Bob
    CHIRP has nothing to do with the 2D transducer. The unit does the CHIRPing and it will CHIRP any 2D crystal that is connected to the unit. That includes a Dual Beam 2D transducer, a DI transducer, and a SI transducer.

I have not seen any listing for a trolling motor DI transducer for an ONIX. This is the only ONIX DI transducer I have seen:

https://www.humminbird.com/Products/XNT-14-DI-T/

The first ONIX CI CT did not have built-in CHIRP. That was added via software update, no hardware change was ever involved.
    Last edited by Wayne P.; 11-05-2017 at 05:51 PM.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

19. Member

Thanks, had not seen that.

Sooooooo, if the ONIX you get has current software or you install current software, it will CHIRP that transducer's 200/455 kHz 2D sonar crystal.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Page 34 of 40 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast