Page 29 of 40 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
  1. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipe Rat View Post
    Let me ask you guys this. I updated my Onix units last night, what should we choose when setting up the transducer for chirp? I am using a separate 2d and Onix transducer with a wye cable. There was HB 83/200 (this is what I chose) and several generic ones. Thanks
    It should have auto chose the transducer you have connected. I normally disconnect everything but the power cord. The first unit I updated had only a Ethernet cable and power cable. The Hub was off so it pops up and says no transducer. After seeing the way updates work now I left the transducer connected on the Si unit and it found it and set up the frequencies automatically.

I am running high chirp and it seems to work fine for me. The medium chirp has way to much noise on my setup.

2. Member
    I updated my units off of the boat. I guess I can do it over with them mounted.
    Thanks

I update with all accessories power and operational so it can see what is connected and not connected, even other units.
    --

http://www.dougvahrenberg.com/

BASS Central Open- Competitive Bass Angler and Humminbird Guru
    Visit my website to learn about my sponsor's products, fishing tips and techniques.

Learn More About Humminbird Side Imaging Visit: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sideimaginggroup/

Quote Originally Posted by jimmybass2 View Post
    Does Pic 6 above mean that Fish ID is working again?
    I use 20 Degree sonar for my 2D needs (200kHz or now High CHIRP) for wider coverage I use DI and SI my personal preferences and all I tested. I never use FishID but tried since several of you here asked and with High CHIRP the symbols worked all the way across the screen.
    --

Visit my website to learn about my sponsor's products, fishing tips and techniques.

Learn More About Humminbird Side Imaging Visit: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sideimaginggroup/

If you want to use Airmar Transducer here is the components you will need & instructions

You can use the Transducer Extension Cable and Follow these Instructions to Connect: https://dochub.com/dougvahrenberg/gV..._ig_532459-1_a

ONIX Transducer Extension Cable: http://www.humminbird.com/Products/EC-14W10/
    HELIX Transducer Extension Cable: http://www.humminbird.com/Products/EC-W10/

One Note from Installation Guide #6
    You can connect the Airmar transducer's low, medium or high frequency wires to the Humminbird transducer extension cable. You cannot wire more than one frequency to the ONIX or HELIX control head. However if you have an ONIX control head, you may wire more than one frequency using the Humminbird black box sonar module like SM3000.
    --

6. Banned
    your link no work

says 'You need to sign in or sign up before continuing.'

Try it now
    --

ONIX 2.700 Update Video

--

9. Member
    Doug,

Thanks for all you are doing to provide information to us on the Onix Chirp software update.

Do you know when we can expect some formal Humminbird documentation for Onix chirp.....perhaps something as simple as a users manual?

There is obviously tremendous interest in HB chirp, potentially a lot of upside sales of Onix units, & in the case of existing customers, a lot of confusion as well. In my opinion, it would serve Humminbird for them to publish a users manual including an overview of how chirp works, the 3 Onix chirp modes, what each is best suited for and detailed instructions related to getting each mode set up, and what steps need to be taken to adjust them for optimal performance. In the absence of this information, their customers (myself included) are scrambling around the internet trying to piece information together in order to understand the technology as well as utilize it via the existing transducer & the 2.7 software upgrade.

Also, this whole Airmar transducer deal is amazing. HB customers having to directly contact Airmar for HB information? A Rube Goldberg splicing of wires together with no information related to making & sealing the splice? Give me a break! If this transducer provides improved performance, makes Onix more competitive to other units in the market, & HB wants to offer it, they should document it & provide a pre-wired version with connection & usage instructions. Its just that simple.

Finally, this whole deal of launching a feature upgrade via software without proper user documentation & the confusion it creates is disrespectful of customers who have invested thousands of dollars in Johnson Outdoor Products hardware. If HB wants to sell more product, they might consider one of the fundamental rules of marketing.....and that is if the customer doesn't know the benefit of the product or how to use the product to deliver that benefit, then the product or feature has no value, & word gets around. Bottom line: the user documentation needs to be available before, not after the introduction. I love my 2 Onix units, my Terrova, & I Pilot link, & wouldn't trade them for any competitors' products. And I am looking forward to using chirp once I can figure out how to do it. But finally, I am really tired of this lame HB marketing communications process.

Again Doug, I appreciate what you are trying to do for us, & this is directed to Humminbird & not to you.

10. Member
    +1 If it were not for Doug and a few others we would be out in the cold on information. This has been a problem with HB for years. I find myself downloading from the HB site regularly for updated documentation. There are updated versions occasionally.(long after a change has been made) and there has been no notification even when it is available. Somebody needs to be put in charge to get info out in a timely manner. This is a fast changing world and that info is essential. For users and HB. Bob

11. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    +1 If it were not for Doug and a few others we would be out in the cold on information. This has been a problem with HB for years. I find myself downloading from the HB site regularly for updated documentation. There are updated versions occasionally.(long after a change has been made) and there has been no notification even when it is available. Somebody needs to be put in charge to get info out in a timely manner. This is a fast changing world and that info is essential. For users and HB. Bob
    Agree... People like Doug, Wayne, and others provide a lot of useful information in the absence of information from HB. It really is a shame.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    The HB manuals are very well written and personally I would rather wait than have a ton of mistakes to wade through.

I will ask and see if or when a CHIRP guide will be added or updates to manual. Heck it may have been included in software since manual is on the unit...I haven't looked at Manual on the Unit. But very good idea. I have been using for a while and from what I have seen with Humminbird CHIRP systems is there is very little if any need to adjust. Just Choice High Frequency for 20 Degree Sonar or Medium for 60 Degree Coverage.

From what I have heard and seen the Humminbird Standard Equipment transducer does an very good job and will fit most anglers needs without added expenses of buying another transducer but if you do Airmar makes a variety of choices and can be added to work with Humminbird CHIRP Units.
    --

14. Member
    Doug,

Thanks. Your perspective & followup is much appreciated.

15. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    I checked the manual on the unit after the update and it has not been updated. There is no mention of CHIRP in the 2D sonar information. Doesn't look like the unit's manual has been updated at all.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

16. Member
    Hi Guys

A little help.

Updated my onix units to 2.7. Does the standard 2d transducer that comes standard with the onix 8 non si version able to do chirp. i have an issue where once updated i have no 2d sonar on the front non si unit.

Thanks in advance.

Greg

I have a thru hull 2d ducer. Will Chirp still work or will the unit convert the signal to the SI ducer on the transom when I go to chirp mode? Or do I have to unhook thru hull and take the dongle off and run straight to SI ducer?
    2017 BCB Eyra
    250 Pro XS
    Contemplating a 300R

Serenity is falling asleep in the boat while getting a bite
    Big Bear Fishing Rods

Quote Originally Posted by spiffey28694 View Post
    I have a thru hull 2d ducer. Will Chirp still work or will the unit convert the signal to the SI ducer on the transom when I go to chirp mode? Or do I have to unhook thru hull and take the dongle off and run straight to SI ducer?
    I had the same question, I was told it would CHIRP through the hull. I haven't been able to test it on the water yet.
    Jimmy Young

2021 Nitro Z19
    Mercury 200 ProXS
    Atlas 10" Hydraulic Jackplate
    Humminbird HELIX 12 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    Humminbird
    HELIX 8 CHIRP MEGA SI GPS G3N
    Humminbird HELIX 12
    CHIRP MEGA DI+ GPS G4N at bow
    Humminbird HELIX 8 CHIRP MEGA DI GPS G3N CHO at bow
    Humminbird MEGA 360
    Minn Kota Ultrex i-Pilot Link
    Dual Power Pole Blades

Quote Originally Posted by spiffey28694 View Post
    It CHIRPs the 2D sonar crystal that is connected. If you use the Y cable with a SI transducer. The shoot-thru is the ONLY 2D crystal that has an electrical connection.

Which dual beam sonar crystal makes no difference, all the 83/200 kHz are same. Shoot-thru Dual Beam, 2D in a SI transducer, a US2, a single Dual Beam transducer on the transom or trolling motor, etc.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

2017 BCB Eyra
    250 Pro XS
    Contemplating a 300R

Serenity is falling asleep in the boat while getting a bite
    Big Bear Fishing Rods

Page 29 of 40 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast