CHAMPMANBILL

Champion poly flake mixing codes available

First off, thanks Lea for turning me on to Dean's in Mt. Home. I gave them the VIN. of my Champion and was given the flake colors and % mix ratio. Now, not being schooled in spraying or mixing flake, when told the color is 5% red and 10% alfa, where and what is the other 85%? Any help in this department will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Bill
    Last edited by CHAMPMANBILL; 05-02-2014 at 07:41 PM.

2. Member
    Well... you might not want to hear this, but I pinged a piece of rebar on a local lake and had to get my Champ repaired. I did get the colors from Deans but to be honest, it wasn't what I thought. I ended up cutting an additional 1" x 1" square out and shipping it down to MiniCraft to match it.
    They came back and stated their Midnight Blue they had listed for Champion wasn't the same as my Midnight Blue. Luckily they had another shade (also called Midnight Blue) that did Match. So I got lucky....

You may have to have a sample piece cut and then send it out to have the color matched.

Good Luck, as it took me 3 months to get it right!
    Bowhunter
    2017 Alumacraft Competitor 205 Suzuki DF250, Suzuki 9.9 EFI Kicker, Garmin Network

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter View Post
    Well... you might not want to hear this, but I pinged a piece of rebar on a local lake and had to get my Champ repaired. I did get the colors from Deans but to be honest, it wasn't what I thought. I ended up cutting an additional 1" x 1" square out and shipping it down to MiniCraft to match it.
    They came back and stated their Midnight Blue they had listed for Champion wasn't the same as my Midnight Blue. Luckily they had another shade (also called Midnight Blue) that did Match. So I got lucky....

You may have to have a sample piece cut and then send it out to have the color matched.

Good Luck, as it took me 3 months to get it right!
    Did Minicraft charge for the color match, if so how much?

4. Member
    No, they had it in Stock, just listed as another manufacturers color I believe. They looked at what they had for Midnight Blue for Champion's and it was different than the chip I sent them. They called me right back and stated they have a real close second option and it was a nuts on match.

Standard pricing for the quart as the Champion Midnight Blue, but i had to also buy their clear coat as their Gelcoat works best with their other products. Why, I don't know, most likely a Chemical thing, but my insurance covered the costs minus my deductible.

I hope this helped?

Good luck,
    Bowhunter
    2017 Alumacraft Competitor 205 Suzuki DF250, Suzuki 9.9 EFI Kicker, Garmin Network

5. Member
    Thanks Definitely helped. I know they did the original white for mine originally and have the color number but the boat is 10 years old so obviously has had some fading. Thinking might be best to send them a chip to compare to make sure it still matches close or if one of the other whites they have is closer.

6. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Bill, did you ask Dean's about the 85%? What does your color appear to be? Silver, black, blue, etc, etc.

Any possibility of getting the number or email of someone the can tell me my colors on my champion?
    Thanks

Rick Wilson
    send2rwilson@gmail.com

8. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Wilson View Post
    Any possibility of getting the number or email of someone the can tell me my colors on my champion?
    what year and model?

Quote Originally Posted by Lea View Post
    Bill, did you ask Dean's about the 85%? What does your color appear to be? Silver, black, blue, etc, etc.
    I too wondered about the percentage stuff. In my case, Deans said Cap and Hull color is: Silver Star / 10% Royal; Arrow Color: Royal Blue; and Arrow Pin Stripes: Silver.
    1988 Basscat Pantera 2 / 1988 Mariner 200 #0B348072 / 1986 Mercury Blackmax 200 #0B116913
    US Navy veteran

10. Member
    Guys keep in mind you have a “backer color” that provides a base that sometimes shows thru in the flake. Ie fire house red flake over a red base gel gives a bright red finish , put black behind it and it tones it down some. FYI

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Radeleur View Post
    I too wondered about the percentage stuff. In my case, Deans said Cap and Hull color is: Silver Star / 10% Royal; Arrow Color: Royal Blue; and Arrow Pin Stripes: Silver.
    Add 10% royal to your total measurement of silver star. What also do is mix dry and spread out as a dry blend to check it also.