Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    So I started on my repair finally with an Evercoat kit that is almost 2 years old. The chip is down to the raw glass and covers red, silver, and black flake. As of now I have covered the red flake and will do the areas of silver and black next. Turned out pretty decent I just need to sand it down where the edges overlap and maybe put a little more clear gel over it where it isn't perfectly even. I am a little nervous to sand it down smooth with the factory gelcoat because the factory gel is very shiny still. Any advice on sanding this down smooth with the rest of the boat? I mixed the flake in with the clear gel, probably would have looked a little better if I followed the directions and blew the flake on then covered it with clear. I think it looks decent thus far.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Following - Got a few on mine that I need to tackle.. Kwasham have you finished it up?
    2001 Ranger 518DVX Comanche / Mercury 200 Opti (OT306368)

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CigarBasser View Post
    Following - Got a few on mine that I need to tackle.. Kwasham have you finished it up?
    Not yet. I didn't follow the instructions correctly and mixed the flake with the clear gel instead of putting a layer of clear gel over the flake. The problem with mixing flake with clear gel is that when you sand it down to level it out the flake will silver. I still need to do the silver stripe and black area. If you are doing flake don't mix the flake with the gel. Still looks pretty good put not perfect.

4. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Looks better than it did when you started ,once done they won't know until they get right up on it..keep up the good work
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

5. Member
    can I blend two different glitter sizes .025 and .008 together in clear gelcoat and spray.

6. Member
    Looks lIke a fetus.

7. Member
    Scratch.jpg

Is that what I should do with this? Man, this is a new boat. I am sick over this.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey90 View Post
    Scratch.jpg

Is that what I should do with this? Man, this is a new boat. I am sick over this.
    Give it a try. Worst case, if you don't like it, it can always be "fixed" by a pro. But for a few dollars, I figure it's worth attempting to fix it myself as a DIY'er.
    New boat, have you contacted the dealer to see how much they'd charge to fix it? Or if they'd recommend a good shop that would quote it?

9. Member
    [QUOTE=CastingCall;11328024]Give it a try. Worst case, if you don't like it, it can always be "fixed" by a pro. But for a few dollars, I figure it's worth attempting to fix it myself as a DIY'er.
    New boat, have you contacted the dealer to see how much they'd charge to fix it? Or if they'd recommend a good shop that would quote it?[/QUOTE

I called the salesman at C&O, where I bought the boat, and sent him pictures. He has not returned with an estimate. He wanted me to turn in an insurance claim, and I don't want to do that. He talked like it would cost thousands. I don't think it is worth that much money. I have a feeling they don't want to do the repair unless they can make a lot from it.

Anyhow, I have ordered a repair kit. Thanks

A quality repair by the pros that matches exactly and is invisible when completed is not cheap. And on a new several-tens-of-thousand-dollar boat, I understand folks want it to be perfect!
    I also understand not everyone can afford a pro repair, and (especially on older battle-worn rigs) can live with less than perfect results.
    Depending on the extent of damage, the condition of the gelcoat, where the damage is, the number of colors involved, etc., this DIY can range from a perfect repair (unoticable when done), to simply a patch job to prevent water intrusion causing damage... Hopefully folks understand that going into this DIY process.

Practice and repetition is what makes a pro, a pro. So practicing using a patch kit will hopefully increase the quality of the repair you perform. Practice mixing pigment, applying flake (if req'd), and application techniques on some other materials before committing to your boat.

11. Member
    I will try some practice patches definitely. I think that is sage advice. The base coat is darker than it appears when looking at the boat at a whole. I think the key will be not to get the patch lighter. I am going to error on darker if anything. The scratch is small and low. So, this would be a good place to try a repair.

I just don't see a pro repair being worth more than $300 at top. Surely, a pro would not spend more that 2-3 hours on repairing it.

I bought some glitter too. I am feeling pretty good about this. However, since the boat is new, I do want to keep the work area close to the scratch as I can. I covered the scratch with black touch up you would have to be looking for the scratch as it is.

I'll let you know how it turns out; even if I don't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey90 View Post
    I will try some practice patches definitely. I think that is sage advice. The base coat is darker than it appears when looking at the boat at a whole. I think the key will be not to get the patch lighter. I am going to error on darker if anything. The scratch is small and low. So, this would be a good place to try a repair.

I just don't see a pro repair being worth more than $300 at top. Surely, a pro would not spend more that 2-3 hours on repairing it.

I bought some glitter too. I am feeling pretty good about this. However, since the boat is new, I do want to keep the work area close to the scratch as I can. I covered the scratch with black touch up you would have to be looking for the scratch as it is.

I'll let you know how it turns out; even if I don't like it.
    Good luck! Hoping it works for you.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123