Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    I don't want to hijack this thread although this is a little relevant. Most marine two cycle engines utilize cast iron sleeves, PWC and outboards etc. There are several companies that manufacture synthetic oil just for marine applications. In fact every Lucas oil sponsored person that I have spoke with is using their synthetic oil in their Optimax/proxs. I also know of a few Amsoil dealers that use their product in this application. Don't you think that if there was a wide spread issue with a full synthetic two stroke oil used in marine applications they would cease to exist?

Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    You made the statement. You need to back it up. You quoted Don and said it was a myth that: Steel-sleeved Mercury Engines should be running a Synthetic BLEND (full synthetics are not recommended).

You should back up your statement. Last time I checked, Pennzoil, Amsoil etc. do not make motors. I think Mercury knows their motors and what they need.

2. Member
    Careful leo. Disagree with the wrong people on BBC and you may get caught up in a "house cleaning".

3. Member
    I purchased a new Bullet in 2016 with a 2016 300XS, the recommended oil is Mercury Racing Oil which is very expensive, I could have run Premium Plus, but I choose to run the better oil just to cover myself, I can buy 2 1/4 gallons of Premium Plus for what I can buy Racing Oil for and I don't use too much, I would rather have the protection

4. Member
    Is the racing oil full synthetic?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    No.

it is a blend also.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

7. Banned
    Careful leo. Disagree with the wrong people on BBC and you may get caught up in a "house cleaning".
    Haha, ain't that the thruth. Don't ask me how I know.
    I happen to know of some of Leo's credentials. Whish some people would stop and take a moment to realize that this is just a discussion and not necessarily an argument or disagreement. Everone here is an expert at something or maybe just a type who knows it all. Thing is you don't know that and instantly quick to judge which leads to arguments instead of a discussion.
    That said, there are lots of good oils on the market now days. Majority will have no affect on reliabily of any motor or warranty denial especialy with proper certification. That means you have a choice because by law no manufacture can require you to use their oil. "Recommended " oil is the type that "meets of exceeds NMMA standards" for the model motor you have. Yes, lots of choises. I happen to like Pennzoil and use it in every motor I own. If you like added protection and have the means to buy synthetic than thats fine also.
    We happen to be "recommend" by Mercury Marine for injector service and Im very thankful for that recognition. We uphold the highest standards to provide exceptional service but sometimes can't keep everyone happy. Once again you have choises. Some motors will fail no matter what oil, fuel or whoever serviced your motor. This happens sometimes but perhaps another door opens to look forward to another choise. Choose wisly
    Last edited by Rich Z; 04-18-2018 at 06:36 AM.

Rich, Good point about not getting tone and attitude from posts. I would love to be sitting around a campfire with a beer discussing these subjects. Its all good!

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 5keepers2 View Post
    I can't get your link to work.
    The link is in the FAQ Section at the top of the Forum. It is located there so that oil information is available to everyone, without having to open and discuss oil-related threads (which always, every time, result in a bunch of differing views).

Here is the link: Oil, Battery, Spark Plugs, Fuel and Fuel Additive Recommendations

There really was no need to pull up a thread from 2014 and begin more heavy oil-related turmoil discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by leo13

This is a myth started by an engine tuner. Nothing to support this from any engine or oil manufacturer.

Originally Posted by EuropeanAM

Steel-sleeved Mercury Engines should be running a Synthetic BLEND (full synthetics are not recommended).

Leo- Rich brought up a really good topic. I don't know all of your qualifications... just like you probably don't know all of mine. However, the above statement is actually TRUE.

I have yet to locate a PRODUCTION engine Owner's Manual that recommends Full Synthetic Engine Oil (2-stroke based product). In each case, the recommendations listed are Synthetic BLENDS.

Hard to call that a "Myth"...

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
    Choose wisly
    +1... we definitely agree on that.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    Just out of curiosity what Mercury engines came with STEEL sleeves? The two Mercury shop manuals I have 90-841916R01 Pro XS and 09-8m8022129 250XS both show Cast Iron for the sleeves on the engine specification pages. I the 30+ years in the European import repair business I can't recall any engine later than the late 60s having steel blocks or liners. The higher carbon and silicone content of cast/grey iron making for better sliding fit for the rings and pistons as opposed to steel.
    When synthetics came out many rebuilders would not guarantee engines broken in with a full synthetic oil; probably due to failures do to the erratic quality of the early blends and not being formulated for the engines they were used in. This changed with time and Porsche and Corvette coming with full synthetics as factory fill.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Technically you are correct- The sleeves are a ferrous metal of the Cast Iron variety. Similar, but not the same as "steel".

We are discussing Mercury Engines here, not Porsche, Corvette or GM 4-stoke automobile engines.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by howieranger View Post
    Just out of curiosity what Mercury engines came with STEEL sleeves? The two Mercury shop manuals I have 90-841916R01 Pro XS and 09-8m8022129 250XS both show Cast Iron for the sleeves on the engine specification pages. I the 30+ years in the European import repair business I can't recall any engine later than the late 60s having steel blocks or liners. The higher carbon and silicone content of cast/grey iron making for better sliding fit for the rings and pistons as opposed to steel.
    When synthetics came out many rebuilders would not guarantee engines broken in with a full synthetic oil; probably due to failures do to the erratic quality of the early blends and not being formulated for the engines they were used in. This changed with time and Porsche and Corvette coming with full synthetics as factory fill.
    I will tell you what I told leo in post 42. Tread lightly.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123