1991 Astro Quickfire 18FD questions

Hello,

I'm a newby when it comes to boats. I was looking to purchase one this summer in order to get out on the water and not have to be that guy that is always in the back of the boat.

I don't know much about boats, however, I came across this boat for a reasonable price. My questions are, are these decent boats? Pros vs cons? What to look for in this type of boat.

The seller told me that "the top cap is loose" I have no idea what that means. Other than that, he said that he's had no problems with the boat itself. Motor runs good, he says also.

I believe eve the motor is a 91 mercury xr4. Don't quote me on that part. Lol.

Anyway, if you guys could give me some info, that would be great!

Thanks!

2. Upper Chesapeake Bay Club Moderator RiverRatMD's Avatar
    Top cap is loose = Trouble (in most cases). I would have serious concerns for the transom, floor, and stringers. They would need to be thoroughly inspected for soft spots, rot, excessive flex. Question is - why is it loose? Most time it's an underlying problem or the boat was simply beat to death.

The F18 series are great boats - fast hull, ok in rough water if you keep the bow high and take things at an angle.
    Gambler 2200 / PRoCraft 180 / Roughneck Jet / Mercury 250XB, 175 / Evinrude 50

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverRatMD View Post
    Top cap is loose = Trouble (in most cases). I would have serious concerns for the transom, floor, and stringers. They would need to be thoroughly inspected for soft spots, rot, excessive flex. Question is - why is it loose? Most time it's an underlying problem or the boat was simply beat to death.

The F18 series are great boats - fast hull, ok in rough water if you keep the bow high and take things at an angle.
    oh goody! That's not good at all! Although we wouldn't know either way if it's good or bad until it was inspected.

Thank you very much!

also, let's say worst case scenario vs best case, what would we be looking at as far as repair money?

4. Upper Chesapeake Bay Club Moderator RiverRatMD's Avatar
    True - We wouldn't know absolutely until inspected. Just not a good sign. The top cap loose means the screws that hold it together are loose OR the top cap is warped and pulling up OR the bottom hull is sagging pulling away from the top cap.

Worse case : Will need full restoration. Cap will need to be removed and possibly rip out the floor, stringers, and transom. Fiberglass in a new stringer system, floor, and transom. ** This is not counting anything needing done on the motor. Money & time spent in this case would be high. $1000-$3500 if you do everything yourself and depending on what the motor needs. Then there's the trailer.

Best case: The F18 is a bad MoFo. May just need to drill new holes to secure the top cap to the bottom hull and re-seal. The motor might just need new plugs, fuel lines, bleed lines, LU oil and waterpump change. Money & time spent would be less depending on what the motor and trailer needs.

It can be done.....But prepare for the worst and hope for the best = Tough way to go about buying a boat. Take your time looking at this boat and good luck!

5. Member
    He just said something to me that made me pass all together. Thanks for your prompt replies and helpful info.

6. Member
    Don't leave us hanging!! lol What did he say?

7. Upper Chesapeake Bay Club Moderator RiverRatMD's Avatar
    No doubt!!!! what'd he say???

Otherwise we have to assume he said "You look mighty purdy in dem jeans boy"!!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverRatMD View Post
    No doubt!!!! what'd he say???

Otherwise we have to assume he said "You look mighty purdy in dem jeans boy"!!
    hahaha!

he said "you're basically buying a motor, trolling motor, and electronics! I'm giving you the boat and trailer for free!"

9. Upper Chesapeake Bay Club Moderator RiverRatMD's Avatar
    Yeah....Kinda had a feeling that was going to be the case. The stringers, floor, and transom are likely shot. Well DJ - good luck to you in your search.

10. Member
    Owned a 1990 18 FDX- bought new. After the warranty had just expired (3 years) the hull had a bad leak. Had small hair line cracks along every strake on the hull.

Dealer and Astro were great- returned the boat to them and they replaced the hull with the new design (1994 I think) along with cleaning up the top cap and recarpeted the entire boat.
    Ran it for another couple years and sold it.

Pretty solid boat and handled the rough water reasonably well for an 18 footer. Greaqt styling for an early 90's boat.
    Live wells were a little small and I think back then the pumps were only 500gph.

I purchased a 1997 Astro 2050 after that and ran it till 2001. Had several issues with the 2050 and switched brands after that.

Good luck with your purchase.