Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Saran wrap or no saran wrap?

I am getting ready to trailer to Florida in a few days and getting the boat covered. Do you wrap the boat with saran wrap on the top cap where the Aurora cover will touch or is the cover soft enough with the white cloth liner to protect it?
    DAVE MARTIN
    ST. JOHNS, FL
    2007 CHAMPION 183CX 150 MERC OPTI
    US NAVY SEABEES EOC(SCW/EXW) ret. 1992-2015

2. The dude abides
    I have the aurora cover, and have travelled from Wheelresburg Ohio (freedom outdoors) to Ottawa Ontario (700 miles). I trailer the boat covered 50% of the time and have no rub wear or other marks from the cover.
    Stay calm...Be brave...Wait for the signs
    Always be yourself unless you can be BATMAN!
    Then always be BATMAN!

3. Iowa/Wisconsin/Hunting & Gun Lodge/Stroker Moderator Wags's Avatar
    I wrap my top cap whenever the cover goes on, I even wrap the motor cowling. Most from what I have read on hear tow with no cover but I'm not one of them when I go for a long trip. It takes very little time to do and I never have had a issue.
    LeaLea

4. Member
    Just plain ol' Saran Wrap? How much does it take to do your boat Wags?

Quote Originally Posted by Wags View Post
    I wrap my top cap whenever the cover goes on, I even wrap the motor cowling. Most from what I have read on hear tow with no cover but I'm not one of them when I go for a long trip. It takes very little time to do and I never have had a issue.

Saran wrap first then put the cover on . This was my prep:
    See ignorance daily

6. Member
    Ok that looks easy enough. I had my wife pick up a couple of rolls just in case. May as well be safe then sorry and it takes me a weekend to buff out any light scratches in the top cap.
    DAVE MARTIN
    ST. JOHNS, FL

7. Iowa/Wisconsin/Hunting & Gun Lodge/Stroker Moderator Wags's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggumup View Post
    Just plain ol' Saran Wrap? How much does it take to do your boat Wags?
    Yes just plain Saran Wrap. What Butch has posted in his pictures is what I have done for many years.
    I can make 3 wraps on top cap and Cowl and still have some on the roll. But I always have 2 containers for the wrap on the return trip to be sure.
    LeaLea

8. Member
    Stupid question....do you have to "tape" the ends to keep it on the boat? I'm thinking that after a good coat of wax the Saran Wrap might not stick very well?? Thanks!

9. Iowa/Wisconsin/Hunting & Gun Lodge/Stroker Moderator Wags's Avatar
    Not a stupid question at all, I have never had a issue and have never taped mine. As for waxing and not sticking my 18 year old boat has countless coats of liquid glass and it sticks fine. Only thing I do is just make sure when I run the Saran wrap the ends are at the back of the boat and I have tied the ends to the boat tie downs but not all the time. I guess my thinking is in case the wind catches it might work its way off but I think unlikely with the cover on good. I tend to over think and over do things.
    LeaLea

10. Member
    I always heard the boat cover kills gas mileage.

11. Member
    Always saran wrap when traveling. Or even better, go to menards and get carpet protection tape.

Roberts 2 ft. x 50 ft. Temporary Carpet Protection Self-Adhering Film Roll-70-130-12 at The Home Depot

CLOSED GAMEFISHING SEASONS IN WI HAS NO BIOLOGICAL CREEDENCE!!!

"Covers are for storing not for towing."

13. Member
    You really think covering it will affect gas mileage that bad? I would think it would have no affect at all. Either way I want to keep it clean in case I hit rain I and don't want all that road scum in the carpet.

I will report once I make it what the gas mileage was.
    DAVE MARTIN
    ST. JOHNS, FL

14. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MMosher View Post
    "Covers are for storing not for towing."
    Kinda disagree. It depends on weather/road conditions. If rain in forecast, I cover. If not, I leave uncovered. You MUST have a well designed and well fitting custom towing cover!!!

15. Member
    I bought my 210 last August in Milwaukee. I towed it to Springfield (Aurora) and had a cover made for it. Then I towed it to Florida. Everything was fine, no problems. I always use it longer trips, 100 miles or more. Keeps the boat clean and peace of mind. One positive note is that on long trips if you make a stop for a meal it's not quite so tempting for amateur thieves.
    GETFISHED !!!

16. Banned
    Go to Staples, they have the spipping wrap pretty cheap... I do it before I put the cover on... Dan

17. Member
    Don't overspend. Go to the dollar store and get the cheap plastic (Saran) wrap. Your throwing it away in the end anyhow. $5 to $10 will easily last you a season of towing.

18. Member
    Wife got the Wally World special wrap. I don't cover the boat at all this will be the first time covering on this road trip. Boat has always been garaged.
    DAVE MARTIN
    ST. JOHNS, FL

19. Member
    Not to be a wet blanket but you'll get more slime down here on the water than you will prevent on the trip. Have a safe trip.
    GETFISHED !!!

20. The dude abides
    Quote Originally Posted by Lea View Post
    Kinda disagree. It depends on weather/road conditions. If rain in forecast, I cover. If not, I leave uncovered. You MUST have a well designed and well fitting custom towing cover!!!

Correct, and Aurora covers are well designed and fitted cover. Saran wrap not needed. I have towed my boat covered and un covered (as Lea wrote dependnat on weather and road conditions) and have no signes of any wear scratches etc with the cover. And as was written added bonus when stopped nobody can see whats on/in your boat.
    Stay calm...Be brave...Wait for the signs
    Always be yourself unless you can be BATMAN!
    Then always be BATMAN!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast