Trim Cylinder End Cap Removal

2001 225 Optimax
    0T344965

I have yet to order the End Cap Assembly but figured I would try and "break" loose the end caps on my trim rams then snug them back up til my parts come in. All in an effort to avoid any unforeseen problems and make for a timely repair.

However, utilizing a 3/16 Spanner, (not Merc OEM tool but seems to fit, 7/32 touch too big) I could not get either to budge.

I trimmed the motor up fully.
    Supported it with the motor support bracket.
    Unscrewed the fill screw.
    Backed the relief screw off 3 turns.
    Attempted to turn each end cap COUNTER CLOCKWISE. Lefty Loosey Righty Tighty(this has burnt me on an ATV Clutch bolted on a crankshaft before )

Am I missing a step? I just want to make sure it's not a left handed thread or something I should add a little heat to. This boat has seen saltwater and there is a likelihood of it having some corrosion present. Just thought they would break a little easier.

Any tips would be appreciated!

Thanks!

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Thomas:

Only step you are missing is the correct tool. You'll probably not be able to remove those end-caps without it.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Does the trim rams and tilt ram both utilize:

91-74951 Spanner Wrench
    44487A1 Trim Rod Remover Tool

The spanner wrench appears as a regular spanner, however the trim rod remover tool looks like a fixed socket with pins and a hex for a wrench at the top with a hole to slide down over the ram. Seems like more leverage could be had from the Trim Rod Remover Tool if that is in fact the correct tool for the job.

Are these tools INTERCHANGEABLE or specific to one or the other?

I am only looking to do the short TRIM rams for now.

Thanks Don!

4. Member
    The saltwater is going to possibly be a big problem for you even with the correct tool. IMHO

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Thomas:

A traditional pin-style spanner wrench is used on the TILT (center) cylinder.

A separate hex-driven (special) spanner tool is used on the two TRIM cylinders.

The "Remover Tool" is a clamp that clamps on a TRIM rod, allowing you to grasp it, and remove it from the system.

The later two items are available through our Parts Department (as are the seals, and Service Manual- perhaps the most valuable tool needed).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Old post but similar question.
    I need to remove the two trim caps and was told by mercury to order the adjustment spanner wrench. Is this the wrong info? Thanks
    David OH, Lake Erie
    2004, Boston Whaler 240 Outrage
    Twin 150 Mercury Optimax
    OT946111
    OT973175

7. Member
    It can be done with a adjustable spanner.

I had the same problem but just bought the tool (pin style) from Don.

OBTW, someone just listed these tools in the for sale section.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The correct tool is not an "adjustment" spanner wrench. It's a fixed- size tool... slides down over the short trim rams, locks in the cap, and you spin it out with a wrench or socket.