Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    In all fairness i dont even know what a motormate is

Crappie fish fry. It don't taste any better.

3. Member
    look its archie bunker the bigot

4. BBC SPONSOR REP
    Quote Originally Posted by smbass View Post
    if motormate gave me one also i would use it but until then i will use what BCB recommends. seems all the FLW & BASS guys i have spoke to the motormate was given to them so sure they will use it
    Like we have stated before, those guys are our testing grounds and if there is a problem with the unit then they who put thousands of miles each year on there boats will know...but don't be mistaken...those guys could use what ever they want...they choose to run it.

Link to toter made by largemouthlou http://www.bbcboards.net/bullet-boat...rod-racks.html

6. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    I use a traditional transom saver. My father used one for years and now I have used one for years absolutely no issues. I think it all boils down to which one you like the best. Which is the most handy for you or what your used to. I don't use stuff because a "pro" uses it. I form my own opinion about products and/or go by manufacturer recommendations.

I am quite sure that the motor mate will work just fine. Evinrude has (OMC) had a built in one on their outboards for a long time. When I had OMC engines I used the built in one for short travels and it worked just fine.

Roy, Shef, William,, thank you very much for the kind words and sharing your experiences and placing the link to my toters on here.. If anyone has any ? about my toters please don't hesitate to contact me, if I can't pick up please leave a brief message and I will return the call..561-603-7865

Shef, call me when your not to busy fishing..

Quote Originally Posted by smbass View Post
    look its archie bunker the bigot
    Sorry, didn't mean to offend you. I posted that picture for the whole thread, not your post. Sorry.
    Last edited by Bobcat55; 04-24-2014 at 07:43 AM.

Crappie fish fry. It don't taste any better.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat55 View Post

Post of the day.......

10. Member
    I like the idea that Lou has with his transom saver. I might have to test one out for you guys.
    Chris Coupel
    Paulina, La.

11. Member
    Bobcat, no offense taken however i did feel rained on, Thanks.

12. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    Till a combination between MotorMate or similar transom savers and a traditional full support is introduced BCB will suggest full length transom savers.
    never had any of the traditionals hold up and motor always tilted going down the road. No more problems with that after going to motormate

Quote Originally Posted by Puma Jim View Post
    never had any of the traditionals hold up and motor always tilted going down the road. No more problems with that after going to motormate
    Never had a full length one fail on my boats and steering clips keep it on the straight and narrow. I'm sure this could go on forever as it usually does every couple of months.......and it is easy to stow in my truck, out of the way.

Just to throw a kink in this mix, I repowered from a Opti 250, to a Suzuki 350, (this is a ZV21) the Opti never seemed to impact the transom saver at all. The Suzuki is 200lb heavier, and has bent the transom saver several times since I had it. Obvious weight transfer to the frame. You do the math, $50 or a new transom. If your running a 150hp you might be OK, But if your using a big 4 stroke 250, your taking a chance! The biggest enemy in my book? Railroad tracks!!

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shef View Post
    I'm doing testing with one of Lou's. I'll use one word, AWESOME. I've put about 3500 miles on it so far.

AMEN!!!! Only way to go!!!
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

16. Member
    Oh boy.. This has been beat to death.. The full length stick is the only device that takes shock to the transom from transporting and transfers to the trailer. The motor mate is nice looking and convenient but I just do not see it doing anything other than locking the trim and protecting the trim assembly and steering. It is not absorbing energy away from the transom other than some inertia from the motor bounce if nothing was in place. Hence the term "transom saver" with the full length stick.
    Last edited by riverrat29; 08-15-2018 at 02:03 PM.

17. Member
    It is not just the transom. It is the motor mounts. The motor is a big pendulum with lots of weight and leverage. All the weight is on the motor mounts and swivel bracket, rather than forming a truss by connecting lower unit to trailer...
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTimer57 View Post
    It is not just the transom. It is the motor mounts. The motor is a big pendulum with lots of weight and leverage. All the weight is on the motor mounts and swivel bracket, rather than forming a truss by connecting lower unit to trailer...
    This too ^^^ Thanks OldTimer I forgot to mention that stress point as well.

19. Member
    This makes me laugh a lot... The motormate does a great job at locking the motor up solid and the weight becomes static. If your worried about the transom while trailering then you should probably be crapping your pants while going balls out on the water. Do you guys realize how powerful those trim units need to be to lift the bow of the boat? Huge moment force loads on the transom.... The only thing these devices do is attempt to secure the motor to make it a static load, they do not transfer anything to the trailer, they are not magic and most of the trailer sticks do a very poor job, some of them destroy the paint on the lower units and can bend or break because they simply do a poor job at securing the motor.
    P.S. this whole truss thinking has gotta end, a triangle is not a truss system!!

The great transom saver debate rolls on, what do we know... we just build boats and have for 47 years... we can recall when some here at BCB said they were worthless in the 1970’s, till they developed issues themselves.
    Last edited by Bass Cat Boats; 08-15-2018 at 10:19 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast