929CDX Livewell Issues

I have owned my 2001 Nitro 929CDC for 4 years now. I have had problems with the livewells in the sense that my fish keep dying for no apparent reason. I replaced all pumps and all 4 selector valves only to still have the same issue. All pumps work and selector valves work as well. If I fill my well up to the lip with the fill pump and then turn it off the water stays the same level as it should. After turning the recirculate pump on for about 5 minutes and you look in the well it will fill up to the overflow all the way to the top. I would not think it is suppose to do that but I am not sure. How can it fill up if the fill pump is off? Also sometimes you get air bubbles in the water when it Is recirculating, and other times its just water flowing through with no air bubbles. If anyone can help point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated as I am tired of losing fish in tournaments. Each livewell has 2 pumps,one to fill and one to recirculate/ pump out. Each well also has two selector valve boxes. One Is for recirculate/pump out. The other is auto/recirculate/empty. Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by Nitro929cdxNavyMan; 04-16-2014 at 04:17 PM.

Wow. Here we go... I redid the wells on my 896 so hopefully I can get the conversation started. To clarify for all of us, 2 completely separate wells, correct? Secondly, 2 pumps in each well, and 4 electrical switches, one for each pump?

Your assumption is correct the recirc/pumpout circuit should never fill the well. I think you should start with the boat on the trailer, fill the wells with a hose and test the recirc/pumpout circuit. This would also give you a chance to test the auto/recirc/empty valves and pumps.

Is is there any chance that the valves are not "clocked" correctly? I know the flowrite valves can be "clocked" to push or pull based on the actuator. The flowrite auto valves also have a deep water and shallow water version. Any chance you have the wrong one?

Let us know how it goes.
    Jimmy Young

2021 Nitro Z19
    Mercury 200 ProXS
    Atlas 10" Hydraulic Jackplate
    Humminbird HELIX 12 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    Humminbird
    HELIX 8 CHIRP MEGA SI GPS G3N
    Humminbird HELIX 12
    CHIRP MEGA DI+ GPS G4N at bow
    Humminbird HELIX 8 CHIRP MEGA DI GPS G3N CHO at bow
    Humminbird MEGA 360
    Minn Kota Ultrex i-Pilot Link
    Dual Power Pole Blades

3. Member
    I put a Vt-2 venting system on mine and the fish stopped dying.

4. Banned
    On my 2000 929, I always just put it on timed fill/recirculate and let it go out the overflow. Fish were waaay tooo active at weigh in time I had to drain the wells to catch them.

5. Member
    I had the opposite problem. No matter what I did the live wells would lose water.

Fish dying in a livewell? U sure its not a Ranger? Just kidding.

Recirc will pull water if the valves are set to recirc or closed. Its possible your valves are bad or need to be adjusted.
    Last edited by BMCD; 04-21-2014 at 12:21 PM.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

7. Member
    Well for starters. There are two separate wells. Each well has two pumps associated with it ( a fill pump, and a recirculate/ pump out pump), as well as two flow rite selector valve boxes. EVERYTHING I just mentioned from the pumps to the valve selector boxes are brand new and they all seem to work mechanically. I fished a two day tournament in central Florida a couple weekends ago and was disappointed after spending all that money to have the same thing happen again. The pumps worked and the water was recirculating but for some reason the water fills up to the overflow while In recirculate. I used to think I knew what I was talking about when It came to my boat and fishing but this has me puzzled!!!

8. Banned
    You need to empty them and refill. If you keep them on recirc, the fish will expire. You cannot fill them and leave them full.

9. Member
    Amonia etc.. will build up if the LW's are just on recirc. Well will always need some fresh water, too, if its hot, frozen water bottles may help. Also a bubbler, which we use on our flats boats, can really help too.

Quote Originally Posted by TOXIC View Post
    On my 2000 929, I always just put it on timed fill/recirculate and let it go out the overflow. Fish were waaay tooo active at weigh in time I had to drain the wells to catch them.
    +1
    2003 Nitro 929 / 225 EFI
    Del Norte Bass Anglers