Sorry for the newb long winded questions... But need help!

This will be my very first post so I hope to cover all bases and may be long winded. Love love love the site and info!! And the pictures of others rangers!!! Oh man! Drool

I recently acquired a 1989 ranger 360v with a 200 merc. The owner I got it from used it to ride the river here in north Florida. The Suwannee.

Im trying to fix some of the neglected parts and pieces. I have a limited budget and have some need to do things and some wants... As we all!

One major thing is a fish finder, I've been away from the fishing scene for several years and really seems confusing to me. So question one. What is a good inexpensive fish finder. I will be fishing the rivers and flats. Some ponds. Looking to spend no more than 400 but really wanna go half that if possible. Thoughts were for the lowrance 4x hdi with 83/20 and 455/800 transom transducer...

The next and equally as important is the trolling motor. It's set up for a while under a carport but still open to the elements. It's a motorguide brute 767. 12/24 I've hooked it up for 24 only and the motor will turn but very slow I have 20.8 amps ( batts not fully charged ) the adjustable switch seems to be frozen. The actual selector will spin freely while nothing else moves. May not be the only thing wrong there... I've looked up parts for it but was curious as to what other parts would be worth changing since I'm here. I would like to fix it right once, rather than cheaply do it every so many uses.

next is carpet. I am an avid do it yourself type. I have read about precut pieces but the prices are a little much ( from what I've found) any tips for finding good carpet would greatly appreciated. This portion really is the last thing on my need to do now list.

2. Member
    Honestley fish finders IMO are of personal choice. The more money the more whistles, more pixels for a clearer picture options. screen size ETC. If you are going to rely on a fish finder to "locate" fish you will want as much as you can afford it makes a diffrence. If you are just fishing rivers and looking for mainly depth any of them will do that adqueatly. You can at first stick to a used unit there are some great deals that show up on electronics board, you have to be paitent. Brand is point of dicussion that is never solved. Humminbird, Lowrance, Raymarine all good.

Trolling motors. If it were me I would get rid of the 12/24 and get a new 24V Maxxum Minn Kota. 2 New Walmart Everstarts to power it. Check wiring to trolling motor and probally replace the wiring/breaker Now I know its correct.

Carpet, Pre cut are more expensive, surf the internet for best prices. Call Ranger you may be suprised as to their cost. I am amazaed at time what they charge for parts very reasonable, they fit and you are returing your rig to like new.

I treat my boat like my house, I pick one thing a year save and save and get what I want, not necessarly what I can afford.

3. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I agree with the above. Once you get to a fishing spot (boat floats, motor runs), your trolling motor is the most important item attached to the boat, so if I were you a solid, strong tm would be a high priority. The MK Maxxum is an excellent one, particularly for waters with a lot of vegetation. I'm partial to their Fortrex myself, but on a budget the Maxxum will do nicely.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

4. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Another vote for addressing the TM first. The MK Maxxum is a fine TM. I have 10 year old one on my ProCraft that works as good today as it did 10 years ago.

For fishfinders, check out local dealers to see if they have any old ones hanging around. Dealers do a lot of FF upgrades and owners don't always get/want the old FF back.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

5. Banned
    I don't know exactly where in Florida you are (I would guess North if the boat was in the Suwanee) but go to a BPS and educate yourself on the different finders out there. You will need to pick a manufacturer and then study models and features, no better place than BPS/Academy/Dicks/West Marine, etc. You need to decide what is important in a finder to you. Do you need GPS? Do you want side scan, down scan or just a basic finder...and as you have already discovered...set a price range. As for the TM the BEST thing you can do is call John Jones (Jones Trolling Motor) who is a sponsor here and he will give you EXPERT advice on any brand of TM plus will have any parts you need to repair/replace. Before I would even consider any cosmetic upgrades (like carpet), I would make absolutely sure all of the mechanical issues are taken care of......full big motor workover (impeller/plugs/decarbon/LU oil change/t-stats/poppit etc.). Carpet won't keep you from fishing but the big motor will!! What condition is the trailer in? Bearings, tires, brakes, etc. That's another piece of equipment that can keep you off the water. Priortize and have fun working on all of it!!

6. Member
    Thanks for the quick responses! I see halls point in TM being more important. I really had not thought it thru from that standpoint. This is one of thousands of reasons I love open forums. People that are not in the heat of the moment able to lend a no biased honest opinion. Thanks really and truly. I will start looking for some TM. The boat had an old hummingbird ff on there the head unit was stolen so I am not sure the model or anything. The transducer is still there too. So I should just scrap my TM an go as new as possible for my budget? Could I scrap the TM ?

7. Banned
    Call Jones. He will tell you if it is worth saving. You can take his word to the bank.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TOXIC View Post
    I don't know exactly where in Florida you are (I would guess North if the boat was in the Suwanee) but go to a BPS and educate yourself on the different finders out there. You will need to pick a manufacturer and then study models and features, no better place than BPS/Academy/Dicks/West Marine, etc. You need to decide what is important in a finder to you. Do you need GPS? Do you want side scan, down scan or just a basic finder...and as you have already discovered...set a price range. As for the TM the BEST thing you can do is call John Jones (Jones Trolling Motor) who is a sponsor here and he will give you EXPERT advice on any brand of TM plus will have any parts you need to repair/replace. Before I would even consider any cosmetic upgrades (like carpet), I would make absolutely sure all of the mechanical issues are taken care of......full big motor workover (impeller/plugs/decarbon/LU oil change/t-stats/poppit etc.). Carpet won't keep you from fishing but the big motor will!! What condition is the trailer in? Bearings, tires, brakes, etc. That's another piece of equipment that can keep you off the water. Priortize and have fun working on all of it!!
    I am in North Florida. I am actually less than a mile from the Suwannee river and the Sante Fe river... I will first say I KNOW I am NOT a boat mechanic at all. That said I worked for Mcduffie Marine in Lake City Fl as a detailer/grunter for a couple years ( so that makes me an expert on all things marine... ;-0 ) joking of course. I helped the Mechanics there all the time so picked up some things. I luckily made good friends there. I have checked the trailer out fairly good, the bearings in the trailer and the boards are good. The axel everything checks. There is some nuts and bolts on the side boards that are rusted and I will replace. The motor has been looked at and boot all checked out fine. Only thing I didn't replace but soon will is the plugs. nothing skips or seems fouled but will replace. Mechanically the boat is sound. I appreciate your advice truly. I had checked it all before the trade. I have seen Nightmares of people who thought they had made a "Good" purchase... The mechanic there that I made the best of friends with lives right down the road from me as well which will come in handy I am sure! I will Call or email Mr Jones about the trolling motor... I am hoping it's just the switch! Thanks for the quick replies.

Check out bassboatseats.com for the carpet and glue. Great prices and really great to deal with.
    2015 RT188 Mercury 4 Stroke Laser II 21P
    Helix 12/360 Imaging/Dual Helix 10's/Ultrex

10. BBC SPONSOR Pro's Choice Pete's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jigging15 View Post
    Check out bassboatseats.com for the carpet and glue. Great prices and really great to deal with.
    This. They are super nice folks, great to deal with, and have great pricing. Or call Ranger to order new seat skins for your new rig.

Welcome to BBC, by the way!
    Pro's Choice Marine's Facebook Page
    Pete's Ranger Channel
    Click on the banner to check out our website!

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaboyd2u View Post
    1989 ranger 360v with a 200 merc
    Anything look wrong here?

12. AR Bass Club/AR Fishing Moderator GhostComanche's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by californiahillbilly View Post
    Anything look wrong here?
    You mean too many ponies on the back. To the OP...................welcome to BBC; Glad to have you here Sir.....................RR

"Never argue with an idiot; He will beat you to death with stupidity"

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jigging15 View Post
    You can use 'BBC10' to get 10% off your order at BassBoatSeats.com.

Also, have to agree with Toxic and others that the trolling motor is the first item to upgrade/fix. Since you are a newb, here is a link with Jone's Trolling Motor contact info - http://www.bbcboards.net/electrical-...ing-motor.html. He is great to deal with and very helpful!

Assuming it's a variable speed tm since you mentioned selector/actuator......sounds like the variable sped selector is not working. Put the toggle switch to constant to see if that works, if it does then it's the variable switch that's bad. If you're on a budget, that's not that much to replace. Don't junk it until you're sure it junk.
    Just my 2 cents worth, not a mechanic. As other mentioned, the tm & big motor are a must, as far as depth finder/fish finder.....check with some retailers, as BPS & others were mentioned. It is a personal preference ( & price) thing. I'm familiar with McDuffies & they should be able to help. Guided all over Fl including N.Fl. They're a lot of very knowledgeable guys on here that will help tremendously. Check with the "for sale" boards as you can pick up a very nice tm or depth finder if needed as a reasonable price.
    Pics of your boat would be nice also.

Good luck & welcome to BBC.

My 360 was rated for a 175 hp
    "Larry, Get the Net!!!!!"

http://www.mareinc.com/

16. Member
    I have a 1998 200 Evinrude on my 360V as well. It is rated for 175