Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    #FRB

What props work best on the Xpress hulls (newer H18 especially)?

I'm running a '23 H18 with a 115 SHO and Powertech ptr21 3 blade prop. I have 6" of setback with a Bob's hydraulic and adding a 2" spacer for 8" this week because it really needs setback with the way I'm loaded. I'm getting about 52ish sitting on the limiter at 6300. Best I ever got was a consistent 53 with a good tail wind and mild chop also sitting on the limiter. I can tell this hull likes a higher motor height to keep it from handling like a heavy pig. What are the better props for these hulls? It's fun to drive and want to get the best experience I can out of it. I've considered getting the same prop I have in a 22 but if there's a prop that will give me better handling while keeping most if not all my top speed I'd rather have that. I fish solo 99% of the time so only care about how it performs with me by myself. The rare occasion someone is with me it is what it is on the handling and just deal with it for the once in a blue moon trip.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

2. Arkansas Rally Moderator Arkyarcher's Avatar
    I have found on mine it really likes four blades.
    Gene Wilson

2000 Xpress X19 Mercury 200
    Team PoorMansCustomLures

Two wrongs don't make a right , but three lefts do.

3. Member
    A four blade Turbo is a good choice.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

4. Member
    52 MPH is excellent for an 18foot boat with a 115 on it. I wouldn't change anything. Ideally you want it to be on the rev limiter this time of year with just you in it because it will drop a couple hundred RPMs in the warmer weather, and when you have another person.

5. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkyarcher View Post
    I have found on mine it really likes four blades.
    I mentioned you when me and a friend of mine were talking props last night after pulling our boats out of the water. With our hulls probably being similar in design what about the Trophy made you decide it was the right prop for your hull?

What I find funny is a 25 Trophy on my old Pantera Classic made that boat handle like it was on rails. With a 25 Tempest (both a45 and the version that came after that) it handled mushy. On my friend's Champion 196 the Trophy is mushy but it handles on rails with a Tempest. It's faster with the Trophy though. This Xpress reminds me of my old Pantera Classic in a lot of ways. It's a hotrod that can be a handful to drive and you sure don't get bored when scooting across the lake.
    Last edited by Highcentered; 03-04-2024 at 10:53 AM.
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Ultrex

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

6. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    52 MPH is excellent for an 18foot boat with a 115 on it. I wouldn't change anything. Ideally you want it to be on the rev limiter this time of year with just you in it because it will drop a couple hundred RPMs in the warmer weather, and when you have another person.
    I'm really wanting better handling more than anything. I'll even sacrifice a couple mph to get it if I have to. AND I rarely have someone in the boat with me so only care about performance with me by myself. I'm also waiting for air and water temp to warm back up to see exactly what my motor does now that it seems to be broke in good. I also want to play around with PVS vents because the 115 SHO doesn't really have that much torque down low. My Mercury 4-stroke was a torque monster for a 75 but it had 2.1 litres of displacement. The 115 SHO only has 1.8 litres to work with. I contacted Hydrotec about possibly getting it flashed.
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Ultrex

7. Arkansas Rally Moderator Arkyarcher's Avatar
    The Trophy lifts the back end a little and it really makes a difference on mine.
    Gene Wilson

2000 Xpress X19 Mercury 200
    Team PoorMansCustomLures

Two wrongs don't make a right , but three lefts do.

8. Member
    Always told the Turbo was good for the 115 when I had one on an X 17. Never tried one and only got 51 on my X17 and a 21 p power tech prop.

9. #FRB
    I should know this but memory is slipping. Who makes the Turbo? 3 blade or 4 blade? Also, we got the spacer on the 6" hydraulic so have 8" of setback now (it needed it) and hotfoot all installed and lined out. Also networked the 3 Garmins so getting this rig dialed.
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Ultrex

10. Member
    Precision Propeller originally made the Turbo props. They were so good Yamaha bought them out so they make Turbo and Yamaha props now.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

11. #FRB
    Oh OK, I'll check them out on the Yamaha site. Also in contact with Hydrotec about flashing my motor. They said it would bring it up to 135hp and raise the limiter to 6500. Also told me to try it with the prop I have first and then decide if I want to go up a pitch.

Looking at the Powertech site the NRS3 and NRS4 is said to be similar to the Turbo. The NRS3 turned the Tracker 175txw I had with a 75 4-stroke into a little hotrod. Wasn't a fast hotrod but it handled on rails and would lift into orbit with 4.5" of setback.
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Ultrex

12. Member
    trophy plus 4 blade and as much setback as possible. Can even get a prop guy to add a little cup and it will lift that thing out the water.

13. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by bayouXpress View Post
    trophy plus 4 blade and as much setback as possible. Can even get a prop guy to add a little cup and it will lift that thing out the water.
    I've considered that prop also but it would have to be the sport model to work with my gear case. As for the setback, I think I hit my limit with 8" on this hull. Don't want the front end to sit up any higher than it is now while fishing but it does seem like this hull wants as much as possible.
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Ultrex

14. #FRB
    Looks like I'm not flashing my motor. For $700 the value just isn't there. They'll have to do a lot of convincing to talk me into paying that for a small hp gain and possibly better fuel economy. My boat is plenty fast as is. Now I can't decide if I want the Powertech nrs4 that's said to be similar to the Turbo or the actual Turbo. I haven't checked but I'm sure Yamaha charges a premium for theirs but it looks like it has holes in the hub to help with holeshot. I know my motor could benefit from vent holes because low end torque just isn't there even though holeshot is still respectable and the extra 2" of setback helped with the holeshot. That said, I've drilled holes in a prop before and I'll do it again if I have to. Hopefully I won't have to though.
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Ultrex

15. Member
    I have had a few different xpress boats. H18. X19 etc. NEVER was able to dial in a powertech prop on one right. I would stay away from them. A 4 blade turbo or 3 blade tempest.

16. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
    I have had a few different xpress boats. H18. X19 etc. NEVER was able to dial in a powertech prop on one right. I would stay away from them. A 4 blade turbo or 3 blade tempest.
    Well, I got a Powertech NRS4 on the way over the weekend so too late on staying away from them. I had great luck with an NRS3 on the 175txw I had and it lifted that whole boat into orbit with great handling after a jack plate was installed and dialed in. Two completely different hulls but it's been said that the NRS props are very similar to the Turbo.
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Ultrex

17. Member
    Power Tech PTR3 ran better on my Tracker than any Mercury Prop that I used, even after having them worked.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    Well, I got a Powertech NRS4 on the way over the weekend so too late on staying away from them. I had great luck with an NRS3 on the 175txw I had and it lifted that whole boat into orbit with great handling after a jack plate was installed and dialed in. Two completely different hulls but it's been said that the NRS props are very similar to the Turbo.
    Maybe it will work for you don't hurt to try....let us know if it does!

19. Iowa/Wisconsin/Hunting & Gun Lodge/Stroker Moderator Wags's Avatar
    I agree about Powertech on my X19, I have one with very little time on it and it's a paper weight now.
    LeaLea

20. #FRB
    OK folks, first trip out with the new NRS4. One thing you all need to know about me is I AM NOT looking for every last fraction of a mph out of my boat. Handling in the midrange and up top is way more important. I'm comparing to the PTR3 that was dealer installed and it was a good prop for going wide open in a straight line but it was a one trick pony. Every performance issue I was having with the PTR3 was fixed with the NRS4. I lost a couple mph up top at the most but my boat wasn't "fast" to begin with so no love lost there. 49-50mph is close enough to the 51-52mph I had with the mushy handing prop. Remember, top speed isn't my main priority.

Handling AND REVERSING at idle speeds is improved. More grip less slip.

Holeshot might be better. It's fast enough out of the hole so not worried about jumping someone off the line.

Went flying by a friend of mine who was also fishing and he said forward of the livewell was out of the water. I then trimmed down a little and did a tight 180 to circle back around to chat for a minute. Guess that means it will turn good without blowing out much if any. Turning at wide open and full or nearly full trim is also way more crisp.

As the day went by I played with jack plate height some. At over 1" higher than where the PTR3 was happiest it feels like just my prop is in the water and the hull is along for the ride. I know the hull is still in the water but no shortage of grip. Had that feeling of balancing the ass end on a pie plate. Water pressure was still great and any loss in water pressure is unacceptable for me so no need to worry about me going TOO high.

The all important midrange is way better too. I can cruise with some trim so the hull isn't plowing. The PTR3 wanted to be wide open all the time. Now I know why bassfisher444 liked the PTR3

I'll continue testing the limits of the NRS4 over the next couple trips but so far it's safe to say the PTR3 is a usable spare but WILL NOT be going back on my motor unless the 4 blade has to go to the prop bender to get fixed. Those of you who say you couldn't get a Power Tech prop to work with your Xpress I can understand why if it handled anything like the PTR3 did on mine.
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Ultrex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast