Thread: Ranger 621VS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ranger 621VS

Any disadvantages to owning one of these to mainly fish in Tennessee and the northern parts of Alabama and Georgia? Wife likes this style of boat better than the "flat top" bass boats. We will mainly be chasing bass, crappy, and cat fish.

2. Multi-Species Boats/Ontario Club Moderator
    Not really, they are obviously slower, less front deck room, not as much rod storage as most Ranger bass boats, heavier to tow and not able to get in as skinny water as a bass boat....

Otherwise, they are every bit as capable. They handle rough water better, have more livewell capacity and generally will ride and run way better.....

3. Member
    I can live with the heavier weight. My last boat weighed in at 8,500 pounds and towed it with a diesel.
    5,000 pounds and my Toyota Tundra will seem like a piece of cake:)

4. Multi-Species Boats/Ontario Club Moderator
    Hell in a couple of years the Tundra will have a Cummins in it so it will feel like the old days again!!!!!

If you're looking at new boats, don't overlook Nitro's ZV boat.

6. Member
    Nitro seems to be a nice rig and priced right but worried about all the horror stories I heard about them. How is the quality in todays world? More importantly how is their warranty?

7. Multi-Species Boats/Ontario Club Moderator
    Their warranty info should be on the Nitro website. As far as quality is concerned I have no personal experience with owning anything but a Ranger. I will say I went through every compartment, poked around under and in the bilge etc. and I was pretty impressed. It was clean, no visible glass strands hanging out to scratch and cut hands, wiring was tidy and bundled and I would say that it sure looks to be a great boat.

It looks like your seton a Ranger and if so thats fine. We also manufacture Yar-Craft and IF we can help we would be glad to. No pressure here just opening a window for some fresh air. Most don't realize we have a walleye offering. 17' tiller through 21 1/2' multi windshield boat with a Bimini. Total of six (6) models to look at.

Here's a link:
    Experience the Dry One

870-481-5135

9. Member
    Not totally set on a Ranger just not in a hurry to buy one. We have two years before we move to our retirement property in Tennessee so I have plenty of time to research brands and how well the customer service is after the sale.
    I owned an Optimax on one of my boats and it was LOUD compared to a 4 stoke Yamaha or Honda. If Nitro would offer the Honda or Yamaha they might be my first choice. Otherwise Ranger would be my first choice.

Also considering either a Wooldridge of Thunderjet inboard aluminum jet boat in the 23-25 foot range. Owned one of each previously and think they would work great as a bass boat in the lakes and rivers.
    Last edited by Thunderjet; 04-22-2014 at 09:57 AM.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    It looks like your seton a Ranger and if so thats fine. We also manufacture Yar-Craft and IF we can help we would be glad to. No pressure here just opening a window for some fresh air. Most don't realize we have a walleye offering. 17' tiller through 21 1/2' multi windshield boat with a Bimini. Total of six (6) models to look at.

Here's a link:
    Experience the Dry One

870-481-5135

The 219TFX is a nice rig. What is a ball park price for one nicely equipped with electronics, trailer, 250 hp 4 stroke, decent electric motor and full battery tray with charger and walk through windshield?

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderjet View Post
    Nitro seems to be a nice rig and priced right but worried about all the horror stories I heard about them. How is the quality in todays world? More importantly how is their warranty?
    Every boat manufacturer out there has horror stories...even the venerable Ranger brand. I'd have to guess that Nitro is paying pretty close attention to the ZV quality control...they're the new kids on the block and need to put their best foot forward. Like I said, everyone's halo will slip, but the 5 Nitro ZV I've climbed on were all sound.

12. Member
    Visited a local dealer and checked out a 621 VS in person. First Ranger I ever looked seriously at and all I can say is "wow". Fit and finish was amazing. 300 HP Verado, 15 HP kicker, top of the line electronics, stainless rails, stereo, plus a mess o other options. Priced at $73K but think I could of bought it for a few $K less. Not sure if we need the kicker at $5,500 mounted with controls built in but at this point it is our first choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post

Here's a link:
    Experience the Dry One

870-481-5135
    My Brother in Law got one of the very first walk throughs you guys made when you got Yar Crafts molds. It's a damned fine rig and is on Lake Erie right now pulling boards. I have a Lund and love it but I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on a Yar Craft.
    Crown Royal field tester

14. Member
    I bought a 619VS brand new in 2007. I love my boat. No complaints about it. I can get my boat in a foot of water fully loaded with full tank of gas and two people. No problem. However if you want a fast boat these boats are not bass boats. My boat will do a max of 55mph on a calm day fully loaded with a trolling motor on the bow and a 9.9 kicker on the back. A lot of room for storage and my 6'6 rods lay flat on my bow decking. I only bass fish.
    Last edited by cadman; 04-29-2014 at 03:05 PM.

If you're going to do a lot of maneuvering with the kicker I'd recommend going with a tiller control for the kicker rather than remote steering off the helm. It will be much more responsive when trying to turn. That also eliminates secondary throttle and a troll master. BUT, if you do go with remote steering off the helm (i.e. the kicker is connected to your main outboard with a linkage arm) just put your motor straight and then drop your bow trolling motor and steer with that. Of course, that assumes you have a Terrova or similar bow mount rather than a cable steer. I fish from the back of the boat A LOT...especially when trolling...and then steer with my Terrova's remote.

16. Member
    We've got a 619vs and primarily fish for crappie at Ky Lake, Pickwick and MS lakes (Grenada, Sardis and Enid) . I'm loving this boat and it can't be beat in wind and choppy water. Skinniest water we've been in so far is 2 ft.

Older post reply.

Have you decided on a boat yet? I just purchased a 620v with a yamaha 250 back on September 1st. I can let you know what I like and don't like so far. I've got 18 hours on big motor and have taken it out on Lake Superior 2 times and a bunch on a river near by and fished a tournament on the mississippi. Till the ice and snow showed up :(
    http://www.scvwl.com
    2013 Ranger 620VS Yamaha 250 and Yamaha 9.9 kicker

I should update on this thread too...as high as I am on the Nitro ZV series, I ended up buying a New Used Ranger Reata 2050. Not a 621 or a ZV 21...both were eliminated by the fact they can't pull double duty as a tube puller and the deal I got on the Ranger was pretty hot. I did climb on both extensively, but went Reata. I learned a lot about the multi species boats our there and the good thing is you have a lot of viable options. From what I learned, the ZV 21 and the 620 are both faster hulls than the 621. The 620 by a wide margin and the ZV by a small amount. But the 621 is a dream fishing machine. Kinda curious myself if you picked one up.
    Last edited by Sam I am; 11-28-2014 at 09:13 PM.

19. Member
    The deep v Rangers you'd be able to handle more rough water. They are really made for big water. Rod holder , down riggers would be better. If you go that way Erie would be a great first trip. I had a bass boat and wife didn't like it because little ones could go right over. I switched to a deep v aluminum and it's been great. Less gas consumption both boat and towing and It cuts through the water on Lake Michigan better. I got stuck in some 4-5 footers at a good sized inland lake and never felt like I'd be swimming.

Either a Sabre or a Yar Craft my next boat is coming from the BCB plant. The Yar Crafts are very nice multi species boats.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast