dodge ram overheat

Saturday afternoon I was on the ramp waiting for a couple of boats to load up and I got an alarm that said to check gauges. The temperature gauge was pretty much pegged out. I shut it off and let it cool down enough so I could get the boat off the ramp. I let it set for mayber a half hour and drove it home. It did run hotter than normal but did not overheat. Could the thermostat be the issue? Fluid level was fine. Everything seemed to be working normally. Thanks for any help. Forgot to add its a 2005 ram 1500 with the 4.7.

2. Member
    How long was it idling? And how hot was it? Maybe leafs or something on the radiator

You getting any noise coming from the water pump? Check the radiator coils from the grill and make sure their is no air obstruction. Is their coolant in the reservoir? It probably wouldn't hurt to get a flush with new coolant installed. I had my truck done when I got it cause I wasn't sure if it had ever been done.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spro-frog View Post
    How long was it idling? And how hot was it? Maybe leafs or something on the radiator
    Idling maybe 5 minutes. No debris on the radiator.
    The temperature gauge was pretty much pegged all the way to hot. No numbers on the gauge.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Choothim View Post
    You getting any noise coming from the water pump? Check the radiator coils from the grill and make sure their is no air obstruction. Is their coolant in the reservoir? It probably wouldn't hurt to get a flush with new coolant installed. I had my truck done when I got it cause I wasn't sure if it had ever been done.
    Actually since you mentioned noise. It started making a squeeking sound just this week. Not sure where its coming from. Also I'm not a mechanic at all but it looks like the fan is turning slow to me. Again I'm not sure how fast it should turn. Just a couple of things Ive noticed.

6. Member
    Not sure about dodge but dodges but chevy has electric fans instead of clutch so it could be a fan motor going

7. Member
    I just realized I posted this in the wrong d@mn forum. My apoligies. Thanks for the replys.

That noise could be a water pump cropping out on you. Not circulating the water correctly.

9. Member
    or some thing as simple as a worn out fan belt.

10. Member
    I got the thermostat changed out and so far no issues. It does seem to be running a little hotter than normal but no overheat.

I'd take it somewhere and have it scanned for codes, lots of electronics on these newer vehicles.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardhead1 View Post
    or some thing as simple as a worn out fan belt.
    That's what I was thinking but if it has electric fans like mine.

13. Member
    I changed my water pump on my 2005 4.7 at 105000 miles. I was having the same issues as you are now. Changed the hoses too. I had no more issues after that.

2002 Stratos 21xl Magnum, 2002 Yamaha VMax 250

14. Member
    I'm getting close to the same mileage on mine. Since I changed the thermostat I have not had any issues. Thanks all for all the help.