Got a Question on Pontoons

Can You trim your Motor out of the water while it is running... I know my optimax on my ranger has a stop on it..But my pontoon doesn't I am having the dealer looK at it today... But I was wondering if this is right before I talk to him.. It just doesn't seem right. Thanks

Mary

2. Banned
    why would you want to? Should be designed to not fully trim up. But ask that in the Mercury section with your SN - Don Weed can definitely give you the definitive answer on what it should/shouldn't do. I know I can trim my motor up while sitting still and running but you don't want it to where the water pump inlet is clear of water - not good. Under speed (rpm range) it shouldn't trim up that much at all.

I don't want to but It comes out of the water with it trimmed up a little above a quarter trim. I did it by accident. So if you are running your engine can be trimmed out of the water accidently? I sure can't do that on my Ranger.. Thanks

Mary

4. Banned
    Post that question here for a spot on correct answer(s) Mercury Motors

My Harris you can trim it out of the water if you are not careful. Mercury 50 hp

There is a trim limit on mercury engines when they are in gear. However, on a pontoon since it sits so high its possible to trim it up too far by accident. A pontoon is not particularly responsive to trim like a bass boat. They need to check to see if engine is installed at the correct height for your pontoon. Unless its a tritoon or your running a 150 HP outboard you will not notice any difference trimming an engine on a pontoon. If you were attempting to trim it up due to shallow water or something those engines usually sit up plenty high enough. I would have the dealer check the engine mounting height.
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel14 View Post
    There is a trim limit on mercury engines when they are in gear. However, on a pontoon since it sits so high its possible to trim it up too far by accident. A pontoon is not particularly responsive to trim like a bass boat. They need to check to see if engine is installed at the correct height for your pontoon. Unless its a tritoon or your running a 150 HP outboard you will not notice any difference trimming an engine on a pontoon. If you were attempting to trim it up due to shallow water or something those engines usually sit up plenty high enough. I would have the dealer check the engine mounting height.
    Yep I figureD it out..There is A trim limiter on the engine but it is useLess on a Pontoon boat.. And the amount you can trim it On a pontoon boat does nothing for the performance of the the boat so I leave it Be.. Thanks

Mary