Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mikesxpress

Exclamation Synthetic bunk material - replacement for carpet.

Just an FYI for you guys that are considering replacing your bunk carpet.
    Gatorbak | Protecting Your Investment. Synthetic bunk covers, caps, and bumpers.

Here is a set of pic's of the install. Pretty easy.
    Gatorbak Photos by mikesxpress | Photobucket

I use my I boat in salt and fresh water. If you’re interested in going a step further and eliminating the nasty carpet that holds moisture for weeks, promotes gelcoat blisters, retains sand/grit that scratches your hull, and is just a PIA for upkeep. Send me an email and I will hook you up on how to do this with a no-mar synthetic material that drains and is easy to install with a 5 year warranty. *You can kick to the curb the issues of it being too slick and marking the hull.

Pressure treated boards contain ACQ (Alkaline Copper Quaternary) and is very corrosive to metals. Galvanized will hold up a little longer that painted metal but it too is susceptible to corrosion at a rapid rate when in constant contact. Add wet bunk boards and trap the water between the board/bracket along with wet carpet that keeps the whole process in motion for weeks while it dries and you will have issues.

As a mechanical engineer, I only do things one time effectively so I will share what I have done and you can decide for yourself if it’s for you or not. The brackets attached to the pressure treated boards must have a barrier between them to eliminate the constant contact in a wet environment. If the ACQ emitted from the board can drain/dry quickly on the galvanized surface it has little effect. I removed my brackets and abated the corrosion via mechanical means then applied Gem rust converter. 24 hours later the galvanized coating. 6 hours later the rubber barrier coats (2 each) on the top of the bracket.

Here is what the material looks like from the transom end with 3500 lbs of Ranger hull sitting on it. Slight compression with voids to let the water drain out. the material surface has a rubber texture to it. *I will be taking launch and load videos this week and post them up when I get done.

2. mikesxpress

This interests me... A lot as I'm due for some.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Looks like a boat might slide off premature on a steep ramp.
    Always "Huntin" the IA Bass!

Boat: Nitro Z7
    Primary Propulsion Unit: 200 Optimax ProXS
    Vertical Depth Propulsion Adjustment: 8" Bobs Action Jack
    Underwater Surveillance: Solix10 G2 Console & Solix10 G1 Bow
    Anchoring: Powerpole, Ultrex Spot Lock
    Dynamic Positioning System: Ultrex i-pilot Link

5. mikesxpress
    Nope.

6. Member
    With all of the recent word on issues of gel-coat blisters, why wouldn't Ranger have this as an option? I have a new 2016 Ranger and I am seriously considering spending more $ on this. What is everyone's thoughts?

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by murphy's law View Post
    With all of the recent word on issues of gel-coat blisters, why wouldn't Ranger have this as an option? I have a new 2016 Ranger and I am seriously considering spending more $ on this. What is everyone's thoughts?
    I'd have it today except for the big negative of no power loading.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

8. mikesxpress
    John the no power loading is not an issue for most of us. I power loaded for 30 years and now I just don't do it with these bunks. Fishing 2-4 days per week and utilizing allot of various ramps in fresh & tidal waters that are affected by feet in tide level changes I have no issues. Just back the trailer in a bit further. Closest ramp on the Potomac is 12 minutes away and the bunks are dry by the time I get home.

9. Member
    Mike, great post. Really like the bracket prep. GatorBak is good! Plan to do My Allison / Boatmate trailer.
    Carte's Custom

10. mikesxpress
    Mark my bunk installation above took place 3 years ago. They look just as good as the day I installed them.
    I scrubbed the bunks this past summer with some Comet and a brush.

Before

After

Bracket are still sound with no rust and I fish 70% of my time in saltwater.
    That should answer any longevity questions..

The "no power loading" loading video:
    http://www.gatorbak.com/gatorbak-cus...installations/

Good to hear !!
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

12. Member
    My bunks ALWAYS get cur right at the end of the trailer. I would use this product there where the boat first hits the bunks, and install about two feet over the carpet. I'd like to continue to powerload. How much did it cost you to do all of your bunks?

13. mikesxpress
    Priced out by feet required on website.

Can you use them on side bunks ?

"I'm just looking for a bite"

15. mikesxpress
    Greg email me a picture of what your side bunk looks like with the boat on the trailer.

Can you power load with these? The video makes it look like the boat will slide back down???

17. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mnmike59 View Post
    Can you power load with these? The video makes it look like the boat will slide back down???
    No you can't. Not sure why the manufacturer advises against it because the force is going to be the same, but they say no.
    nothing else matters.​

18. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by mnmike59 View Post
    No powerloading.
    No the boat does not slide back down.

19. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    No you can't. Not sure why the manufacturer advises against it because the force is going to be the same, but they say no.
    Gatorbak material is softer than your gelcoat so it doesn't scratch the hull. Powerloading with it is like rubbing an eraser on the hood of your truck. The eraser is softer so it's going to be the sacrificial item in the process and rub off.

20. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Gatorbak material is softer than your gelcoat so it doesn't scratch the hull. Powerloading with it is like rubbing an eraser on the hood of your truck. The eraser is softer so it's going to be the sacrificial item in the process and rub off.
    But it takes the exact same force to pull the boat on with a winch as it does to push it on with the motor.
    nothing else matters.​

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast