New style water pressure/tach install?

I'm trying to hook up my new tach and can't figure out where to plug the new tach into. Diagram says plug it into the gauge harness in boat but not sure where that is. I don't want to screw anything up so and advice would be appreciated.

Also when I plugged the tach into where I thought the previous tach was plugged in it pegged out all my other gauges.

3. Banned
    Not a direct plug and play. Some soldering required

Can you tell me what needs to be soldered

5. Banned
    I was afraid you would ask..I can't remember and I did not take pictues..no help from me!! MAybe Hammer (who's boat we did it on) can remember....

Thanks Carlos

7. Member
    When I installed mine a few weeks ago I had the same problem. I cut the old connector off in the boat and the new one on the wiring harness and connected the wires using marine heat shrink butt connectors. My tach is working perfectly. I connected the sending unit for the water pressure under the dash. As others have said, the water pressure guage doesn't read until about 1200 RPM.
    Just another beer drinker with a fishing problem.

8. Banned
    I did something similar on Hammers boat. I bought a couple of Deutch connectors from Radio Shack. Soldered the wires into the quick disconnects

Talked to ranger today and they said I may have the wrong connector, and they want me to call them back when I have the plug in in hand

10. Banned
    well hell.....if that is the case there are a few out there

11. Banned
    Will be waiting to hear if there is more than one connector style (which I always guessed there was). If I remember correctly, all of the wires were the same but the new plug was different on the pigtail of the gauge. We just got a matching 4 wire connector from Radio shack and rewired the ends of both for a match. If there was one that does indeed plug and play that would make the install much easier.

I'll let y'all know as soon as I find out

13. Member

Any updates?

Quote Originally Posted by Esnow76 View Post
    I'll let y'all know as soon as I find out

I know this is an older post but any updates? I am running into the same issue. I got the new gauge from ranger but cannot seem where to connect the pig tail from the tach/water gauge. There are several spliced wires and I’m not sure if the previous owner cut the old connector off. Any help would be much appreciated.

14. Member
    I know this is an old post but it needs new life !!!!!!!! Guys, I'm having the same problem.. I bought a new Ranger Tach/water pressure gauge for my 2006 Ranger Z19 w/ 225 HPDI Yamaha. I never got any instructions on how to wire it.. All I got was a New Tach/Water Pressure gauge ( NOT CHEAP ) a sending unit and a 2 piece wire connector. I've hooked it up to 12 volts, I've called Ranger 3 times, I've called C and O Marine 3-4 times and my water pressure is still NOT working !!! The lines are not clogged and the motor has a good pee stream when I'm running on the lake .. LOOKING FOR ANSWERS . ANYONE ? Surely someone has figured this out by now ? Thanks. Tommy
    TOMMY D. ALLEN - ULYSSES, KY
    2006 RANGER Z19 - 2006 YAMAHA 225