Exclamation Lower unit installation HELP!!!

I have a 1990 Mercury 150 on the back of my Astro 18FDX. I took it out for the first time this spring a couple weeks ago and noticed that it was pumping any water. I removed the lower unit and replaced the water pump. My problem is that I cant get the lower unit back in the motor. It appears that there is a bushing of some sort that has slipped and in the way of where the driveshaft slides into the motor. Is this a common problem and if so what is the fix?? I saw a youtube video where a seal came out with the drive shaft but this doesnt appear to be a seal. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am at a loss and cant seem to find this part on any exploded views so I really have no idea what this is.

Motor Serial number is OC283818

2. Member
    It appears I have answered my own question. Apparently Im not the only one with this problem. I found a couple other threads right below the one I started. Thanks

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Did you manage to re-seat the seal?

Be very careful... whatever method you choose, it's a "ONE-SHOT" chance deal.

If you are unable to properly reseat the seal, REMOVE the powerhead, and replace the seal and carrier (as well as the powerhead gasket).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    I do believe I got the seal put back in place. If it's not in place it disappeared because I got the lower unit put back on and everything works great.

5. Member
    Jrsmith

Wat method did you use to get it back in?

6. Member
    I used a piece of PVC pipe

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jrsmith_89 View Post
    I used a piece of PVC pipe
    Good choice!

Make a note somewhere... if that powerhead is ever off (for ANY reason), replace the seal and carrier (and install it with RED liquid loctite to ensure it stays there).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    I will do that.