250 xb lower unit

started getting my boat cleaned up today after a long cold winter. and see oil under my lower unit. then I notice a drop on my prop so went to spin it and notice that it is pushed out about a 1/4 of a inch. it now hits the torque tab. any ideas how much this gonna cost me. didn't have time to pull prop to look into farther yet. is there any thing that I should look for. and yes there is some water mixed in with the oil.

2. Member
    Cant tell you how much it going to cost , but the first thing is a pressure test to see what seal is leaking and hope that the housing is not cracked ?

3. Upper Chesapeake Bay Club Moderator RiverRatMD's Avatar
    Oh no! Pressure test, tear down...If no cracks and nothing is corroded - reseal. Not sure about labor time - guessing maybe 3.5 - 4 hours with the testing, inspections, and re-seal....
    Gambler 2200 / PRoCraft 180 / Roughneck Jet / Mercury 250XB, 175 / Evinrude 50

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Are you sure you've not changed props or had the prop worked? In order for the prop to move AFT enough to hit the torque-tab anode (which it must have previously cleared when rotating), there would have to be a mechanical problem in the gearcase (either forcing the propshaft AFT, or the bearing carrier has moved AFT).

Definitely get it pressure tested, and torn down to determine the extent of the damage.

BTW... the anode on the Torquemaster Gearcase is usually a FLAT anode (not a torque-tab).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    yes they had to cut some of the tab to fit my prop. but this is push aft about a 1/4 inch no visible cracks in the case

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Also, double-check your prop hub for signs of damage.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor