Thread: Eyra Speed

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Does the capacities plate differ between the standard Eyra and the special order hull? (i.e. does one say up to 285hp and the other 300hp?)
    Brad Luchsinger

2003 Allison XB-21 BasSport 2+2
    2004 Mercury Racing 250XS

1998 Xpress X70
    1998 Yamaha Vmax 150 TRP

2002 Triton 200XP

Yes the plates are different

Quote Originally Posted by spider1 View Post
    I see it now. Sweet looking Cat, would live to talk to the owner
    Feel free to pm with questions abut the boat.

4. Banned
    Connor, you gettin' Cat Scratch Fever?...

Wouldn't break my heart to see that black Eyra/300XS in my garage next to my red racing boat

5. Member
    That boat is in Houston Texas. Beautiful rig. Has two red 10' blades on it now.

Guy that fishes my tourney circuit has it. Very good looking boat.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 90 5.0 View Post
    That boat is in Houston Texas. Beautiful rig. Has two red 10' blades on it now.

Guy that fishes my tourney circuit has it. Very good looking boat.

Actually the owner lives in liberty. Boat is stupid fast and a great ride.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChanceHuiet View Post
    Actually the owner lives in liberty. Boat is stupid fast and a great ride.
    I know but I figured if I said liberty no one would know where I was talking about.

Guess I should have said " near Houston".

8. Banned
    Close to the San Jacinto river?...used to bring the USS SAN JACINTO CG-56 in to port there. Best liberty port in 30+ years in the Navy!

9. Member
    Prairieville, Louisiana / Zolfo Springs, Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by ChanceHuiet View Post
    Boat is stupid fast and a great ride.
    If that boat is "stupid fast" I wonder just what would you call my boat? Because it is a lot faster then that!

10. Banned
    Last edited by Bass Commander; 03-27-2014 at 07:40 AM.

Anything past 85 is stupid fast and requires the right conditions and water to exercise that weight to horsepower benefit. Since you two run what are probably the lightest rigs out there now the horsepower to weight ratio is solidly where any gain is and thus the benefit for you both. There are a very few lighter weight Cougar HP series hulls out there BCB built that have these similar ratios and these rigs ran very well. Those were during transition of carb/EFI and Opti/DI engines and none we know of received those 2.5 block monsters. They all opted for 250 XB engines that clicked 80's.

The integration of XS Series engines and those who played with adapting Yamaha product saw more ponies and benefit from that more on lighter weight hulls. Which is why some high performance rigs don't run nearly as hard loaded up and fishing. Weight hurts some hulls more that are not designed to carry those weights. Most high perf folks tend to watch their weights.

spider1, what your after is a solid bass hull and when we built the Eyra it was always termed a direction of a "Bridge boat". It was to bridge two markets, one being the lower horsepower people chasing that 200-225 window which wants to save a few quarters on fuel and a few bucks on engines, still running over 70 with a 200 HP engine. The other bridge was where you fall, folks chasing that handling and performance wanting to back off finicky high HP hand grenade engines on lighter weight hulls, to a stock rig with a stock 250 engine.

If your a Yamaha fan we think you will like a stock 250 SHO on the Eyra hull for what it is. It is a point and shoot hull which runs real well with the setup. If your bridled back to a Mercury then that is your next question, are you a 250 Pro XS go fish and run where it runs or do you want to play with the 80 - 90 potential within the weight limitations that an Eyra has of a production hull.

The handling is very good and that was the second intent of the hull. This fly weight hulls were in a changing market when the Eyra hull was being introduced as the hulls were not that quick in comparison with today's factory 250 engines. That was expressed in one of those last Bass & Walleye publications where the original hotter 250 SHO clicked off speeds in the 87 range without a trolling motor and added batteries on a fly weight rig.

The game was changing in 2007-'08 design period of the Eyra as the EPA had killed the beloved (including us) 2.5 block fire breathing, oil burning, fuel sucking monsters. The volumes of all three of today's fly weight boats got to such an annual dormant level of production, during the front of this recession, that it was shocking to even them. The market evaporated as they depended on a lot of recession impacted buyers. Today they have morphed towards a more mainstream market just to have a few boats to build. That number, while revived some, remains a very small volume of bass boats.

The Eyra was presented before that present morphing across high perf to mainstream lines and your consideration of it was the intent in designing a boat that appealed to such a small disappearing niche. If you think it fits your fancy we would slip down to Dallas area and run the only one we know of with a 300 XS and Torquemaster case. Then you will have an understanding of the differences and limitations. Thus a more educated opinion of whether it fits your fancy?

We like it, several pros we know have chosen and prefer it and the decision for you is one you have to form.

12. Banned
    Since you two run what are probably the lightest rigs out there
    The Eyra is only about 275 pounds heavier than my hull (a weight delta that could be somewhat lessened by battery choice i.e. lithium for an Eyra owner). My boat really isnt that fast...
    Last edited by Bass Commander; 03-27-2014 at 12:26 PM.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Commander View Post
    My boat really isnt that fast...
    But the ride is unmatched!!! and the other 21' allys are that same weight and are that fast!

But the ride is unmatched!!! and the other 21' allys are that same weight and are that fast!
    Sounds like you are hanging out in the wrong manufacturers page.

15. Member
    Not really as with all boats Allys have their draw backs also. Hanging out in all forums will give you a much better view of all boats not just one. Keep an open mind!! I have been boating since the early 70's and have never found the one perfect boat. But I am still looking.

16. Member
    If that boat is "stupid fast" I wonder just what would you call my boat? Because it is a lot faster then that!

I have a buddy with a Stroker 300x combo that I have borrowed numerous times and routinely ran over 90 and over 100 a couple times but I don't equate that boat to a normal bass boat. By normal I mean fishing and ride first speed second type boat. With that said, the Stroker ride is amazing for the type and design of boat it is. But the Stroker SHOULD run circles around 99% bass boats. This eyra is FAST I promise you
    Last edited by ChanceHuiet; 03-28-2014 at 06:15 PM.

17. Member
    Drop a 300 vmax on it. Stage 3 hydro tech

18. Member
    The idea that these boats run 80-100 Mph...Eyra/Stroker is incredible. I'm happy around 68-70mph. What I wish, is that my 98 Jag would come out the water like a boosted diesel truck and get to those speeds quick. Its a pig with the 225 Merc. When it does get on plane its an awesome riding boat. Once the child support is over, I plan on a new BCB. Could care less about 80mph, but I want to be in front when the horn blows!!!!

Have you tried a Fury on your older Jaguar.

20. Member
    BBCB, Yes I have a Fury 24. Its helped a lot. Adjusted the jackplate to the sweetspot. But she is still slow. Water in the livewells, and it effects it ALOT! Trust me, I LOVE my Jag. My only complaint would be the slow to plane. My guess it possibly needs a 250. We have a couple of newer model..2012-2013 Pantera II / 200 Mercs in our bass clubs...when the horn blows, they shoot out the water. Even my wife commented how fast they planed. . She is only 5 foot tall...barely, and fishes tourneys alone. Her biggest complaint is getting the nose down so she can see again.
    Last edited by Cajunhunter67; 03-30-2014 at 05:26 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast