Casting deck extension

Has anybody built or have a factory casting deck extension to go between the rod lockers of a dc xl? I'm planning on doing a lot of mods to the old girl so she can get with the times lol.
    2012 Nitro Z8. 2021 250 pro xs 23 fury. Minnkota ultrex . 8' power poles. still learning how to drive it at 3.75 below pad.

I've got the factory extension on my single console - pretty sure it's same for dual-console. I can take some pics of it this weekend for you. In a nutshell, it consists of two rails mounted to the sides of existing rod lockers, and a fiberglass vertical face (color matched to hull) with a "factory" aluminum lid. Here's a pic where you can just see part of it on the right...

3. Member
    yea that's what I was afraid of, "factory" parts, lol. I will have to devise something out of aluminum plate and 2x4's, plywood and carpet to cover the ugly I imagine, lol.
    2012 Nitro Z8. 2021 250 pro xs 23 fury. Minnkota ultrex . 8' power poles. still learning how to drive it at 3.75 below pad.

4. Member
    I did one last year. Turned out nice, but it was on a dual-console. Let me see if I have a pic or two. Okay here we go...

Here is the before pic. Notice the hole between the consoles:
    stratos03.jpg

Here is the insert, once I got all the ledgers cut right:
    stratos07.jpg

And here is the after shot, open then closed:
    DSC01671(2).jpg DSC01673.jpg

The top section and the step-up were made from 3/4" plywood, wrapped in carpet. Took me an afternoon to figure it out, tracing and scribing a template, and another afternoon to actually build it. Then I carpeted everything. I think it took 1/2 sheet of plywood total. Use a pencil and mark out your cuts, like a jigsaw puzzle, BEFORE you cut, to save a lot of wood. Start with cutting your biggest sections, and then move on to smaller sections.

ONE thing that helped a lot on this boat was that there was a "ledge" in the perimeter of the main hatch. It wasn't even, but it was there. So all I had to do was make the ledgers follow the height, and then make a front wall to connect the two, then cap it. Then I built the step-up and storage box.

I ended up attaching the ledgers to the bottom of the hatch, and then wrapping carpet around the whole thing. Looked neater that way, and ended up being a nice fit, so it could be removed without using any kind of hardware. The step-box was mounted permanently.

The extension made a world of difference in the boat! SO much easier to jump up front, and I increased my deck and storage space. VERY happy with the results.

-TH

5. Member
    awesome, I don't have much of a ledge to go off of but im sure I can make something like you have work for me. thanks for the ideas.

6. Member
    On a different boat I did, there were no ledges to start with, so I made cleats and attached them to the sides with screws and clear silicone. Worked very well. Was actually easier than the one pictured above, where I had to use a planer to get them exact.

-TH

7. Member
    well I got one all fabbed up and installed, looks like its gonna work out just fine.... ill see if I can get pics up later

8. Member
    Nice
    Shawn.D
    2015 Phoenix 618pro w/ 150 Evinrude Etec HO

9. Member
    I don't know the dimensions, I just cut till it fit the hole, its removable as well, it just rest on the back lip of the front cooler and on the floor between the consoles. nice tight fit and pretty easy to get out if needed. I left and 11" opening in the back of it and just throw my net and other junk up in there for running. works great and must be lucky, caught 6 fish on the first outing, or it could be bad luck cause I spun my hub while traveling wfo headed back to the camp, lol.
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. Member
    Looks good. I put a step/box on front of mine, which made it more comfortable to jump up front. I put often-used stuff in there. Under the big hatch, I put preservers and a giant tackle box.

I really liked the extra storage, and especially NOT stepping back into the hole!

Nice job.

11. Member
    I started to put one on it but ran out of time and material lol. I'm cheap. Lol

It looks great! Nice work!