Plastic drain plugs

Hello everyone....I'm a bass boat owner but my Dad owns a pontoon boat that I need some help with. Went over to visit at his lake place this weekend, and his lift was down some so we lifted it and noticed water coming out of one of the toons. The drain plug that is (was) there is plastic and has busted so much that it is leaking water. The plastic threads are stuck in the aluminum and I can't get it all out to put new ones in. Should I melt the plugs that are in there with heat? Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you

More than likely the plug is available if you can get it out without destroying it, you can match it up to the correct size. Worst case is that you may need to replace it with another threaded housing and plug. What year and make of boat?

Thanks for the reply. Getting the plug out is the problem for sure. The plastic threads are still attached to the threaded housing by something red maybe Loctite with the center of plastic plug busted out.

In this case a picture may be worth 1000 words. Can you post one so that the plug may be identified? How about the other side, is the plug the same, and if so is it removable?

5. Member
    The plugs on my are .5-20 fine thread, might have to buy one and chase it out then buy new plugs. Make sure you get all the water out first!

6. Member
    Torch will melt them right out. Replace with brass plugs available at most marinas