Starting Point for a Johson GT 150, Many prop questions!

Ok guys, I don't know much about props at all and have a few questions. I bought a 1986 18' Winner Tournament with a 1987 Johnson GT 150 a few months ago. Only had it out a handful of times before it got too cold but I came to the conclusion that I'm going to need to try a different prop. Currently it has a 25 pitch Shooter 4 blade and the boat is sluggish and only reaches 5000 rpm at WOT. I'm looking for a good starting point to gain a little more performance from this boat. I have plans to get a jackplate in the future but I feel that a different prop is necessary first. I'm on a tight budget so I'm not looking for the perfect prop right away but rather a decent affordable prop for the time being.
    Also, from doing some research, I understand that some props are factory hubs and some have interchangeable hubs, and that I can purchase a hub kit that will fit my motor. I guess the question I have is how can I tell if a prop will fit my motor? Of course if it came off a Johnson or Evinrude it will fit or if it has an interchangeable I can use it but when looking at props online it doesn't seem that obvious to find out what the prop will fit (to me anyway).
    Sorry for so many questions, trying to learn.

Thanks!

2. Member
    I have a 86 Ranger 373V with 89 GT 150 on a 8" jacking plate with a 24 raker.Runs like a rapped ape 63-64 at 5700 rpms

I would run a 23 Razor3 or 23 tempest plus

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

4. Member
    fishinfool72, not trying to jump over Steveng10's question as this might help him also but what is your set up with your GT getting 63-64 mpg at 5700. Pad height? any special work on the raker. I'm running the same prop and hit 60.5 mph but turning 6000 rpm''s.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenG10 View Post
    Ok guys, I don't know much about props at all and have a few questions. I bought a 1986 18' Winner Tournament with a 1987 Johnson GT 150 a few months ago. I have plans to get a jackplate in the future but I feel that a different prop is necessary first. I'm on a tight budget so I'm not looking for the perfect prop right away but rather a decent affordable prop for the time being.

Sorry for so many questions, trying to learn.

Thanks!
    I would start with the jackplate first. You will most likely be able to adjust the jackplate to get more out of the prop you have. Then go from there if you still think you need a new prop..

JMO
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

6. Member
    Thanks for the advice. It's worth a try.

The 25 is not the right pitch for that motor. I had the same setup on a 482V ranger and the boat was very sluggish and heavy feeling, I dropped to a 23 pitch and it was a whole different boat.
    2009 Triton 20X3
    Mercury 250 ProXS

"Can't" means "don't want to"

8. Banned
    Got to agree with fishinfool, had a 24 rkr on a gt 150 washing machine, rng 371. I also had the 4 blade 25 renegade that over all did the better job, both ran about 60mph at 5500 3 1/2... The shooter 25 is too much prop if your only getting 5000 rpm are it's too low, not a prop you hear to many omc's running

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JJolley View Post
    The 25 is not the right pitch for that motor. I had the same setup on a 482V ranger and the boat was very sluggish and heavy feeling, I dropped to a 23 pitch and it was a whole different boat.

Which 23 prop dd you have and how was your set up on the 482v I'm only getting 51 mph at 5500 rpm

10. Member
    I ran a non-GT Johnson 150 on my 18' Winner Tournament FX with a 5" setback plate for 25+ years. Started with a non-vented 24" Raker, only got about 5200 RPM at WOT iirc. Ended up running a vented 22" Raker. It was a 55 MPH boat after all the shit she'd been through.