Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Kentucky on top for now....

Kentucky is 16-0 regular season champs no doubt. Easily the best team in the SEC this year, and most assuredly will go deep in the NCAA tournament if not winning it. However, Coach Cal will need to graduate some players over the next few years or Kentucky Basketball will suffer the same fate as other programs that are now being penalized with loss of scholarships due to graduation rate of players. Cal can definitely recruit and coach. But he will need to keep some of his phenoms in school or it will become problematic for the number of scholarships he can offer due to NCAA's ever more restrictive rules. I for one am thankful that we have at least one elite team left in the SEC. My Razorbacks have sucked for the past 15 years.....Give Mike Anderson a couple of years....the Razorbacks will be back giving UK a run for their money. And SEC Basketball will be better for it.

2. Member

Re: Kentucky on top for now.... (GamblerSam)

First off its UK not KU. Also, last year UK (Kentucky) had the highest APR in the SEC. The APR is what the NCAA goes by when handing down sanctions for grade/graduation performance. UK finished first last year ahead of Vandy, Florida and all other teams. UK will graduate two seniors this year.

3. Member

Re: Kentucky on top for now.... (UkCatsBasser)

Looks like as long as he can offer 5 scholarships a year there is not a problem. Who needs 13 scholarships when 5-6 All Americans will do?

UK's APR is the tops in the SEC. Ahead of even Vandy. They'll be fine. And just so you know, 4 graduated in Cal's first year (Perry Stevenson, Mark Krebs, Ramon Harris, Patrick Patterson in 3 years.), Josh Harrellson last year, and Darius Miller and Eloy Vargas will graduate this year.

5. Member

Re: Kentucky on top for now.... (UkCatsBasser)

Hey UKCatsBasser,

I am an SEC fan. Not slamming Cal or UK. Just pointing out that a good deal of the awesome talent coming in to UK will leave early for the NBA. It is a credit to recruiting, but over time does create challenges.

6. Member

Those 2010 grades are within the APR goal as well podge. Post em up! Im sure every athletic program has questionable student athletes. Hard to hide on a basketball team with 10 players.

7. BBC SPONSOR

Re: Kentucky on top for now.... (elnutsmalljaws)

Until the NCAA can come to some agreement with the idiots that run the NBA one and dones are just a fact of college basketball. These players will go somewhere, why are they giving Cal a hard time for it.
    Truth is... What is college for?? To train people for the next level in life and provide the tools they need to get a job. Well isnt he doing that?
    The NBA needs to figure out that these kids would be that much better if they were required to stay 3 years. The NBA and pro ball would be that much more competative, have less issues with rebelious players, etc.

Re: Kentucky on top for now.... (jettdog68)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by jettdog68 &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">Until the NCAA can come to some agreement with the idiots that run the NBA one and dones are just a fact of college basketball. These players will go somewhere, why are they giving Cal a hard time for it.
    Truth is... What is college for?? To train people for the next level in life and provide the tools they need to get a job. Well isnt he doing that?
    The NBA needs to figure out that these kids would be that much better if they were required to stay 3 years. The NBA and pro ball would be that much more competative, have less issues with rebelious players, etc.
    </td></tr></table>

Exactly. That is why there are no really great players like there were back in the 70's 80's and 90's. It made the NBA a much better league when guys were staying until later in college.

9. Member

Re: Kentucky on top for now.... (jettdog68)

I agree. Can't ever fault a kid for livin the dream and heading to the NBA under the current rules.

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by GamblerSam &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">I agree. Can't ever fault a kid for livin the dream and heading to the NBA under the current rules. </td></tr></table>

Yeah, and that's really Cal's stance on the subject. He wants the best players he can get, but he can't hold a kid back from following his dream. He's said on multiple occassions that he hates the one and done rule, but that's the rule and that's what he has to play by if he wants the best players.

I personally dont beleive a player should be given a scholarship unless he stays in college for the 4 years. JMO I am a huge UK basketball fan. However there are several students our their that would take the scholarship and actually use it to get an education.

12. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar

Re: Kentucky on top for now.... (mkmsports41)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by mkmsports41 &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">I personally dont beleive a player should be given a scholarship unless he stays in college for the 4 years. JMO I am a huge UK basketball fan. However there are several students our their that would take the scholarship and actually use it to get an education.</td></tr></table>

But who's going to buy season tickets and donate money to UK to go watch them.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

13. Member

Re: Kentucky on top for now.... (Roddy)

Kentucky's APR lol how much interest does William Wesley get? What's in you wallet Mr Davis ? 200k

I think he earn Cal frequent flier miles as well!

14. Banned

"One and dones" don't count against APR unless they leave in bad academic standing. The issue with the academics are the classes many freshman athletes take.

Freshman are required to complete 24 hours as freshman, 6 of which can be taken in summer school leaving a total 9 hours per semester. As far as the type of classes, the only qualification is that they are part of a curriculum that will lead to a degree.

They are not required to take a specific type of class (i.e. Freshman Chemistry) and many D1 schools give credit for playing varsity sports...

APR is not a good indication of actual college efforts by athletes.

Re: Kentucky on top for now.... (packfan)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by packfan &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">"One and dones" don't count against APR unless they leave in bad academic standing. The issue with the academics are the classes many freshman athletes take.

Freshman are required to complete 24 hours as freshman, 6 of which can be taken in summer school leaving a total 9 hours per semester. As far as the type of classes, the only qualification is that they are part of a curriculum that will lead to a degree.

They are not required to take a specific type of class (i.e. Freshman Chemistry) and many D1 schools give credit for playing varsity sports...

APR is not a good indication of actual college efforts by athletes.</td></tr></table>

But it is the rule. And UK is playing within the rules of the game. People dont realize that these guys are coming back to finish their degrees. John Wall, Brandon Knight, even Nazr Mohammed have been back during the off season working on classes and using The Craft Center to work on their games.

Re: Kentucky on top for now.

I think baseball has the best idea to solve the one and done.You can go pro out of high school but if you go to college you must stay 3 years.
    A mistake on your part does not constitute a emergency on my part.

17. Member

Re: Kentucky on top for now. (wstutts)

Cal=Illinois politician! Corrupt.
    2001 ChampioN 206 Yamaha 225

18. Banned

Re: Kentucky on top for now.... (DanCard)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by DanCard &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">

But it is the rule. And UK is playing within the rules of the game. People dont realize that these guys are coming back to finish their degrees. John Wall, Brandon Knight, even Nazr Mohammed have been back during the off season working on classes and using The Craft Center to work on their games.</td></tr></table>

Dan... I was not directing that to any school but I did post it on a UK thread so fair enough. My beloved Wolfpack has done the same for sure. The fans that try to deny their school is not taking advantage of the "loopholes" are kind of delusional if you ask me.

It is a problem with most any competitive major college sports team. I think teams are missing the "spirit" of what the rule intended but as long as the big money is involved this is how it will be.

On the flip side of all the big time BBall and FBall money there is a lot of good that comes form it. That money supports so many non-revenue producing sports (men's and women's) I try to keep myself in check about the $ involved.

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by wstutts &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">I think baseball has the best idea to solve the one and done.You can go pro out of high school but if you go to college you must stay 3 years.</td></tr></table>

+1

Is this seriously all we have to talk about anymore? 90% of the people on here are tired of reading this shit.

Re: (09Z7SC)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by 09Z7SC &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">Is this seriously all we have to talk about anymore? 90% of the people on here are tired of reading this shit.</td></tr></table>

Then don't click on the threads, or better yet, start your own thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast