HELP!! 200 Vmax HPDI starter problems

Hey guys I'm hoping someone can help me diagnose an intermittent starter problem I'm having on my motor. About one out of every 20-30 times I try to crank it, it does nothing...no click.. nothing. When I remove the cowling and tap on the solenoid (I believe? its the small cylinder right next to the starter) It cranks up first turn. The first time it happened I was about 15 miles out in the gulf with my wife and son, that was back in October and since then I have replaced the battery, the battery cables, cleaned and tightened the connections (at the battery, and the motor) removed the relay wires from the solenoid and cleaned, and tightened those. I guess the next step is to replace the relay (don't think thats the problem since when I tap on the solenoid it cranks), and then have the starter/solenoid assy rebuilt the two pieces are permanently joined. I don't know...i'm at wits end and big fish season is here. Anybody have any experience with this sort of problem, or any ideas what to try next? Thanks

Check the starter motor relay, Mine did the same thing. Make sure to buy the YAMAHA part not an after market.

Find the correct part number and search ebay, found mine NIB for half of what the dealer wanted.

Its the relay in the fuse box. NOT the one on the STARTER!

3. Member
    Correct. It's the relay in the electrical box.

Gotcha that was the next thing I was going to try. Thanks for the tip on the aftermarket version have one in my watch list on the bay right now. I will look for a yamaha oem relay and try that.

Ok got the relay installed sunday evening. Fished Monday and it cranked fine everytime almost... a different problem that I have been having off and on resurfaced. Now every once in a while it will make a click when you turn the key the first time or two, but will always crank after a few tries. I was hoping the relay would take care of this issue as well, anybody have an idea what that may be? At least I didnt have to take the cowl off out on the water. It's always something isn't it. Thanks for the help guys.

check to connections on the Starter motor

Old thread but wanted to update for future reference to anyone out their who may run into this. The Relay did not cure the problem went fishing two weekends ago and had to take the cowling off everytime to tap on the starter to crank it...very frustrating!! Found an alternator/ generator shop near me that said he could rebuild the starter, so took it off and to him, he looked at it and said the brushes were severely worn and not making good contact with the commutater. So he put in new brushes cleaned and polished everything up on the inside, and that seems to have taken care of the issue! Best part is it cost me $68 to have it rebuilt. (a new yamaha starter is over $600 and aftermarkets are around $300) So i saved a bunch of money, and im going fishing this weekend! Thanks to all for your suggestions, and ideas!!!