Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

War Eagle Blackhawk?

Anybody on here had any experience with one? I just ordered a new 961. I wish but i duck hunt to and this boat should do both vry well with an 18 degree hull under it. War Eagle says that it will take all a V-6 can give it without doing the traditional aluminum boat "bunny-hop" when it's given trim. I equipped it with Sea-Star & i'm going to hang a 150 on it. Just wondering if anybody else had any experience with this boat, even though it it sort of a new model.

Quote Originally Posted by duck48 View Post
    Anybody on here had any experience with one? I just ordered a new 961. I wish but i duck hunt to and this boat should do both vry well with an 18 degree hull under it. War Eagle says that it will take all a V-6 can give it without doing the traditional aluminum boat "bunny-hop" when it's given trim. I equipped it with Sea-Star & i'm going to hang a 150 on it. Just wondering if anybody else had any experience with this boat, even though it it sort of a new model.
    I did a trade /cash with my Gambler for a 06' War Eagle 648DVSD with a 50 Yamaha 4 stroke. I did as much looking online about them as I could find (not much) On them. I also spoke to a few War Eagle reps and the company themselves. The overall info is they area very well built tin boat amazingly strong as YouTube videos show. The hunting models are not so flashy but I love the camo scheme. The hulls are all welded and they are rated high and sought after in parts of the south.They are not cheap and hold value. I saw the model you are buying online...nice!. With a 150 it should fly. Post pics when u get it.we might be the only 2 War Eagle owners on this board.?
    Last edited by Bassbully 51; 02-11-2014 at 04:28 PM.

3. Member
    Duck48, I just ordered a 761 blackhawk wanted the 961 bad, but just didn't have the room for it in my shop. They are nice looking boats though, where did you order from?

K went to the site and looked. They like mine but only bigger...nice boat.
    14' Alumacraft Green machine.
    24v.70# Minn Kota (bow)
    24V. 75# Motorguide (tiller)
    Non green- 9.9 merc

5. Member
    Bully- i've owned a 648 for 10 years. It hunts waterfowl in a swamp about 50 days per duck season- has a go-devil surface drive on it. I cannot tell you the stumps and cypress knees it has been forced over, the levees is jumped nor the trees it's hit. It still doesn't leak- an incredible boat, and yours will be too. The new Blackhawk is different from your boat (and the one i have like yours) in that it isn't a standard 6 degree V as all of War Eagle's "sportsman series" boats are. I HAVE NOT ran one yet, but i've talked to few that have. The 18 degree hull makes a HUGE difference (supossedly). My brother has an 860LDSV with a 4 sroke 90 on it, and that boat will not take all the trim a 90 can give it unless its loaded heavy before the dreaded "bunny-hop' that is so typical of aluminum boats appears. I am hopping to avoid this because this will be my "do-all" boat, and i DO like performance too on occasion.
    I have a 1996 150 Fast Strike that i've owned since 2000 that has 30 hours on it, looks like a new motor & is going on the new 961 on a 6" plate. I really wanted a new 4 stroke Yammie but there is NO WAY i can pay for both since i'm gonna use the dinosaur engine for right now. My boat is coming from Beech Lake Marine in Lexington, TN. Yours just might be too Kubota...i know they sold a 761 right before i ordered mine. Was that you?

Hey thanks for all the help and great info on my boat and War Eagles period. I have not had this boat in the water. The only thing I am a bit worried out is front deck stability. The previous owner built a really nice custom deck extension that covers the Eagles lower deck. He did an awesome job on it and it looks factory from fit to finish. In fact I have an spare he also made. The drop right in pull right out. The neat feature in them is a recessed troll motor pedal tray. This allows you to have more deck and height and adds some weight forward to the boat. It is like any flipping deck on other boats. He also added a nice storage step up all are painted in dura liner and camoed like the boat. I asked if it affected stability and he said not really maybe a little. He was ave build, maybe 160lbs but I'm 6-1 250.
    As long as its stable I know I'm going to love this boat. We have allot of small water here and limited HP to no engines right in my area and they have hogs in them. My Gambler was becoming a headache so I made the move. It has a 50 HP Yammie 4 stroke which the owner said was the best engine he ever owned. He bought this rig new a 648 LDSV in 06' In Indiana.
    I will miss the rod locker and some storage but this boat looks as ugly as me. I have added a new MK Maxxum 24/70# TM, rewired 8ga with 50 amp breaker, Humminbird DI on bow and two bank charger.

http://oi43.tinypic.com/24q75w3.jpg
    Last edited by Bassbully 51; 02-12-2014 at 11:24 AM.
    24v.70# Minn Kota (bow)
    Non green- 9.9 merc

7. Member
    I owned a 60 Yammie that was an 07 model- your engine is as bulletproof as your boat unless you let stale fuel sit in it for too long (like any other). Gonna put a Maxxum 70 on this Blackhawk. As far as the 648, i haul 4 grown men in mine to the duck blind routinely. It should work fine for you & as long as you know you are no longer standing on the bow of a 21' fiberglass beast (and don't expect the same thing) i don't think you'll be disappointed. Really wanted a new 150 for my new rig but i can't stand anymore- already spent an arm& a leg on this project!!
    Your boat looks AWESOME- and as far as resale, that thing would bring murder down here in the South. Used Eagles here are out of sight if they still look nice.

Thanks the Yammie was stored with stabol marine in it. Do you run ring free or anything in your gas? I'm looking at maybe removing the restrictor plate which will make the motor a 60 hp. Since you you can put 4 big boysin that boat I feel allot better now. Truth is I fished out of small boats for years and only had the Gambler thru the fall so I never got used to a big boat feel again. I'm thinking I will be fine but I will have to adapt like any new boat. Make sure you post some good pics of that Blackhawk. With a 150 she should fly. What you say about resale on a War Eagle is true. Every marina I spoke to as well as one of the team Ward guys at the plant said they hold their value well and in the South are sought after. Mine hardly has a scratch, Gal trailer, with break a way tongue. Again thanks for all the help and good luck on your boat but please post some pics
    24v.70# Minn Kota (bow)
    Non green- 9.9 merc

9. Member
    My Yamaha 50 has been running without the air restrictor for 3 years now. I check the plugs annually and there is no indication that it is running lean. This is on a 2010 efi model.

Quote Originally Posted by Ship View Post
    My Yamaha 50 has been running without the air restrictor for 3 years now. I check the plugs annually and there is no indication that it is running lean. This is on a 2010 efi model.
    I watched some youtube vids about it and read up. There is no proof that they run lean from what I gather and like you most have been doing this for years. What was the performance like on your motor with to without?
    24v.70# Minn Kota (bow)
    Non green- 9.9 merc

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassbully 51 View Post
    I watched some youtube vids about it and read up. There is no proof that they run lean from what I gather and like you most have been doing this for years. What was the performance like on your motor with to without?
    Not a drastic change but it seemed like throttle response on take off was better. Picked up a couple of hundred rpms on the top end, Maybe 1-2 mph difference. Carries a load better. This is on a hunting boat so we carry a fair amount of gear and it was noticeable right away that there was more power. Flat bottom G3 isn't known for speed so wasn't to concerned about that.

12. Member
    Bass- the only thing i ran thru my 60 was Yamaha fuel stabilizer. The only thing you might want to consider adding is a factory fuel filtration system. Yamaha makes 2 sizes and the 50 will take the little one. They're not really expensive, easy to install, and all the Yammie guys that are knowledgeable say their a must on fuel injected motors. Pics will be at least 6 weeks away on the Blackhawk- those boys must have alot of boats to build!

13. Member
    Thats me, If I had the room for it that 961 at Lexington would be mine. It is one nice looking rig you will like it.

Here's a 961 pic from the website. Pretty slick looking boats.

961_tomahawk_4.jpg

15. Member
    That pic is a Tomahawk/elevated casting decks. Kubota- i didn't buy the boat that's in stock. I ordered one because i wanted to change some things and i wanted a different color. Biggest change i had to make was the Sea Star Hydraulic steering to be able to hand that big one anda half on her tail! Tricked it out the best i could tho- should make a heck of a multi-purpose boat.

Bass- the only thing i ran thru my 60 was Yamaha fuel stabilizer. The only thing you might want to consider adding is a factory fuel filtration system. Yamaha makes 2 sizes and the 50 will take the little one. They're not really expensive, easy to install, and all the Yammie guys that are knowledgeable say their a must on fuel injected motors. Pics will be at least 6 weeks away on the Blackhawk- those boys must have alot of boats to build!
    Any link to that fuel filter system.
    24v.70# Minn Kota (bow)
    Non green- 9.9 merc

Quote Originally Posted by croix-man View Post
    Here's a 961 pic from the website. Pretty slick looking boats.

961_tomahawk_4.jpg
    Wow! I would never miss a glass boat with a rig like that.
    24v.70# Minn Kota (bow)
    Non green- 9.9 merc

18. Member
    I don't have a link but it's a factory Yamaha part and they even have it featured in their outboard brochure for this year. It shouldn't be hard to find.

19. Member
    Yamaha Mini 10

This is the filter that the Yamaha dealer put on my boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Ship View Post
    Yamaha Mini 10

This is the filter that the Yamaha dealer put on my boat.
    Thanks again guys ..you are great! I want to take care of this boat and motor so I will check with my dealer for the parts.
    24v.70# Minn Kota (bow)
    Non green- 9.9 merc

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast