Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617
  1. Member
    "I'm not sure how big of a jp you can put on the Blackhawk and keep your hull warranty, you might check. I have a Seastar 6" hyd jp and have no issues with clearing the Seastar steering. "

I called WE directly to inquire about JPs. They said they do not recommend installing a JP on the Blackhawk. They didn't say it would void the warranty, but I didn't ask either. I went ahead and did it anyways. I'll watch it closely and try not to beat on it too much, and hope no cracks develop. I'm hopeful with the .125 gauge hull, everything will hold up. I don't regret adding it at this point.
    "It's not how fast you fish, its how well you fish fast!"

2015 WE 2170 Blackhawk
    Yamaha F150
    Minnkota Riptide 80 lb. i-Pilot
    Bob's Action Series JP 8" set back
    Dual 8' PP Blades
    Lowrance HDS Carbon 16
    54 mph top speed (GPS verified)

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DearJon View Post
    "I'm not sure how big of a jp you can put on the Blackhawk and keep your hull warranty, you might check. I have a Seastar 6" hyd jp and have no issues with clearing the Seastar steering. "

I called WE directly to inquire about JPs. They said they do not recommend installing a JP on the Blackhawk. They didn't say it would void the warranty, but I didn't ask either. I went ahead and did it anyways. I'll watch it closely and try not to beat on it too much, and hope no cracks develop. I'm hopeful with the .125 gauge hull, everything will hold up. I don't regret adding it at this point.
    I'd say you are covered then, If they didn't say no. The transom looks pretty stout on the Blackhawk.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

3. Member
    I specifically asked them yesterday about JP voiding the warranty and they said 'no it won't.' Also said ' u don't need a Jack plate on the war eagle blackhawks as they have already included about 4" of Jack in the transom'. They said the only benefit you'll gain with a Jack plate is shallow water capability no speed. But I think yall
    have already shown that it did benefit a few mph's.

Do u guys have any photos of your boats and trucks? I'm curious to see a 'perspective' on the boat length compared to the truck. I still haven't seen a 2170 in person.. And I already ordered it! Haha.
    luke

4. Member
    "Do u guys have any photos of your boats and trucks? I'm curious to see a 'perspective' on the boat length compared to the truck. I still haven't seen a 2170 in person.. And I already ordered it! Haha.
    luke"

All I can say is the combination of truck and boat is freakin' huge. I definitely had to adjust my driving style to accommodate the extra size of the new boat, as my old boat was only 15' long. I drive an F350, and I can't fully fit both vehicles in the driveway when connected. Whenever I back the boat in, half of the front end of my truck is still hanging out in the street. Good thing I don't live on a busy street.

2015 WE 2170 Blackhawk
    Yamaha F150
    Dual 8' PP Blades
    Lowrance HDS Carbon 16

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol Red View Post
    Do u guys have any photos of your boats and trucks? I'm curious to see a 'perspective' on the boat length compared to the truck. I still haven't seen a 2170 in person.. And I already ordered it! Haha.
    luke
    I don't have a picture either, but it is very similar to any 20-21' glass boat with a tandem trailer.

6. Member
    Here you go. Front end of the truck is out of frame, but you get the idea.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2nz86k7v0...lGToL90ma?dl=0

2015 WE 2170 Blackhawk
    Yamaha F150
    Dual 8' PP Blades
    Lowrance HDS Carbon 16

7. Member
    Here's my boat and tow rig, goes across 5 parking space.

Quote Originally Posted by okhawg View Post
    Here's my boat and tow rig, goes across 5 parking space.

Awsome. What's the reg on rig length in your state?
    You might be over . Just kidding, Great boat for sure

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

9. Member
    Mohawk, how do you like the zuke? How does the boat run with it? I'm interested in the tomahawk with the zuke and I'm curious to read about yours.

10. Member
    Okhawg, not Mohawk. Dang auto correct.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose6 View Post
    Mohawk, how do you like the zuke? How does the boat run with it? I'm interested in the tomahawk with the zuke and I'm curious to read about yours.
    So far, I really like the Zuke. It is super quite on idle and jumps on plane. I've not gotten where I can open it up yet as I only have 2h 15m on the breakin, need another 45m and I'll see what she can do. I hope to finish the breakin Tues or Wed and will update when I do. The only thing I don't like is the trim is way quieter than my old Mercury 60, so I have to listen harder to hear when it's all the way in.

You will like the hull. At 25 mph, in 6-12 of chop, I turned as hard as I could and got no slide, she just turned on rails.
    Last edited by okhawg; 07-17-2016 at 07:46 AM.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorglenn View Post
    Awsome. What's the reg on rig length in your state?
    You might be over . Just kidding, Great boat for sure
    You don't forget you got a boat back there, for sure.

13. Member
    Well, I seem to have lost the center console seat cushion on my boat. It may have blown out while trailering. It was the cushion that snapped onto the center console over the bait well lid. I have contacted the factory for assistance, and they told me to contact a dealer as they don't sell anything direct to the public. I've contacted two dealerships and neither has even responded to me. It's been over two weeks. Does anyone have any suggestions other than having an upholstery shop custom make one? I figured this was the place to ask with so many WE owners present. I didn't want to start a new thread, so sorry for hi-jacking.

2015 WE 2170 Blackhawk
    Yamaha F150
    Dual 8' PP Blades
    Lowrance HDS Carbon 16

Dear John, you could try to call tailwalker marine in Georgetown, sc. Beyond that I don't know....

2015 War Eagle Blackhawk 961 Side Console
    150 Yamaha VMAX SHO Mercury Quicksilver Lightspeed 23p 13¾"dia
    Minnkota Riptide iPilot 60" 80lb Thrust

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitekrednek View Post
    Dear John, you could try to call tailwalker marine in Georgetown, sc. Beyond that I don't know....
    Thanks man. I first tried the factory, then the two closest dealers to me. After the third strike, I reached out to the dealer I bought from. He's ordering it today. If you're wondering why I didn't contact my dealer first, it's because they're located 1000 miles away from me. I'm in NC. They're in LA. I drove that far to buy my boat because it was the only one I found on the internet that checked all the boxes. I knew I could special order, but the summer might be over by the time I took delivery. After seeing the lack of interest from my local dealers, I don't regret making the drive. Shout out to Sam and the guys down in Gonzalez, LA @ Thomas Marine.

2015 WE 2170 Blackhawk
    Yamaha F150
    Dual 8' PP Blades
    Lowrance HDS Carbon 16

16. Member
    [QUOTE=Hitekrednek;7448405
    Also a word about trailering the boat with the duck bill. You will only want to back your trailer in till the back 1½-2 feet are in the water. If you go in much deeper (especially if it's not a very steep ramp) your duck bill will come below the front roller on the winch stand. If you only have the last 1½ feet or so in the water the boat will ramp upward and land perfectly. If you mess up and it comes too low to the roller, just connect the strap, let the boat stay rearward about a foot or so and pull out. Then you can winch out on up and it'll land perfectly.

Thanks for this Hite. I should be able to pick my boat up in 3-4 days. I wondered how the duckbill and the trailer would "interact".[/QUOTE]

After trailering the boat twice, the duckbill can be a problem. On trip 1 I did as you said and it worked well, I had to winch the boat on the last 3 feet or so but that was easy. On the last trip, I put the trailer a little deeper due to a stronger than forecast crosswind. I run into the hull catching the roller under the duckbill where the original hull meets the duckbill. It would seem War Eagle would weld a piece of angle across this gap to stop this. I think if I run into this in the future much, I'll look at adding some rollers up toward the front of the boat trailer to fix it for good.

17. Member
    What is a duck bill?

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose6 View Post
    What is a duck bill?
    Moose, if you add the driving lights to a Blackhawk, they add an extension out the front for them.

Ok today I experimented a little bit. My normal prop is a 3 blade 23" pitch 13¾" diameter mercury quicksilver light speed. I tried my buddy's 4 blade 25.5" pitch (I think 14 inch diameter) trophy plus. With my prop I can run about 57 mph GPS speed at 5600 rpm. With his prop I got about 56 mph with 5400 rpm. These top speeds are running with the tide on calm fresh water. The hole shot was pretty close to the same, the boat will take off like a rocket. Both props are vented as well by the way.

So when I got home I leveled the boat as best as I could on the grass. I measured from the bottom of the keel to the ground and from the center of the prop shaft to the ground. Keel to ground was about 14 inches and shaft to ground was about 9 inches. My buddy said ideally it should be about 3 inches in the difference of those two measurements. My 150 VMAX SHO has 4 slots to mount different heights. It is mounted in the second hole from the top. I'm thinking maybe I need to raise the motor at least one slot. I think this will give me some more rpm and more speed.

Any thoughts on this y'all?

2015 War Eagle Blackhawk 961 Side Console
    150 Yamaha VMAX SHO Mercury Quicksilver Lightspeed 23p 13¾"dia
    Minnkota Riptide iPilot 60" 80lb Thrust

20. Member

Blackhawk 961 to 2170?

I own a 2017 BH 961 with a merc 150 and love it, So does the whole family of 5, So I’m considering a BH 2170 for a little more room. However I really love how my 961 is stealth and fast. As you WE owners know, our boats are head turners and get a lot of compliments. My 961 is set up for tournament bass fishing, but we also duck hunt, inshore fishing, scalloping and basic family boating. I never thought I would be considering a bigger boat and the 961 is actually roomy, but with 3 teenage boys we have a lot of stuff when we fish, hunt, etc. I think my 961 is bad ass and looks it too. I only worry about the 2170 size losing some of the “stealth”, maneuverability and nimbleness, not worried about a little speed loss. Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated, I’ll lose some money on my 961 if I do go to a 2170 so I’m really trying to make the right decision. Thank you all

Brent

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617