Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

for your information

A North Dakota man accused of introducing zebra mussels into a Minnesota lake last year has been fined $500 and ordered to pay $500 in restitution.

Fifty-four-year-old George Wynn of Fargo pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of introducing an invasive species into Rose Lake in Minnesota's Otter Tail County.

Zebra mussels can be transported by boats from one body of water to another. They compete with native species, clog water intakes and can sink docks and buoys with their weight.

The Forum newspaper reports ( http://bit.ly/zKMliI) that Minnesota's Department of Natural Resources estimates it will cost more than $18,000 to treat Rose Lake.

2. Banned

Re: for your information (redngold)

We never had zebra mussels on inland lakes until they were brought it by the border masses.

3. Banned

I guess my question would be... Why in the hell doesn't he have to cover the $18,000? Ahhh thats right the taxpayers

Re: for your information (bradjames12)

I would be curious as to know how he " Introduced" them into the lake. If it was by not washing his boat before entering the lake then thousands of us are guilty.
    Team AnglerHub

5. Member

i would beat that SOB witha sock full of zebra mussels

Re: for your information (fishinok)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by fishinok &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">I would be curious as to know how he " Introduced" them into the lake. If it was by not washing his boat before entering the lake then thousands of us are guilty. </td></tr></table>

He bought a boat lift that was from a lake with zebra mussels and did not clean it before he installed it at his lake.

Ranger Z521 Mercury 250 Pro XS

7. BBC Fantasy Fishing Organizer BasserJim's Avatar

Re: for your information (cowtrimmer)

I am not sure that zebra mussels are the problem they are made out to be.

Re: for your information (BasserJim)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by BasserJim &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">I am not sure that zebra mussels are the problem they are made out to be.</td></tr></table>
    you sir are wrong, they are horrible, the list is really to long to type of the destruction they cause

If its got boobs, tires, siding, or an outboard motor you have trouble!!!

9. Member

Re: for your information (bassman34)

they sure make the water nice and clear............
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

10. BBC Fantasy Fishing Organizer BasserJim's Avatar

Re: for your information (bassman34)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by bassman34 &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">
    you sir are wrong, they are horrible, the list is really to long to type of the destruction they cause</td></tr></table>

Please enlighten me, the lake I consider my home water is full of the things..... They have greatly improved the health of the lake.

11. Banned

Re: for your information (BasserJim)

How have they greatly improved the health of the lake ?

Re: for your information (Nowater2shallow)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by Nowater2shallow &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">i would beat that SOB witha sock full of zebra mussels </td></tr></table>

13. BBC Fantasy Fishing Organizer BasserJim's Avatar

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by cowtrimmer &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">How have they greatly improved the health of the lake ? </td></tr></table>

They filtered out the pollutants

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by cowtrimmer &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">How have they greatly improved the health of the lake ? </td></tr></table>

I don't know about long term, but have seen any real issues with them here. Lakes are much more clear, but hasn't effected fishing any that I can tell. If anything its better. We do have a endangered speices of mussels here, and zebra's will crowd those out. That is about the only negative I can think of. Of course I don't leave my boat in the water, so don't have to deal with them clogging anything up.

"It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

Re: for your information (cubswin)

They are filtering the water making it nice and clear. It's not so much the pollutants that they are filtering out, but all the nutrients and algae that that small bait fish depend on. When there is no more nutrients in the water, the bait fish will die and then the bass and other predators will die.
    The biggest economical issue is them clogging up intake grates of power plants and other water intake systems.

Re: for your information (Bsktball55)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by Bsktball55 &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">They are filtering the water making it nice and clear. It's not so much the pollutants that they are filtering out, but all the nutrients and algae that that small bait fish depend on. When there is no more nutrients in the water, the bait fish will die and then the bass and other predators will die.
    The biggest economical issue is them clogging up intake grates of power plants and other water intake systems. </td></tr></table>

I agree that the filtering is a theoretical problem. I can't think of any lake where that worry has caused problems for forage fish. Do you have any examples of where that has happened? I know it can happen, but haven't heard of it actually happening anywhere. Indiana has had zebra mussels for a long time now.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

17. Member
    with all the stories I have heard from Minnesota with the wash stations and DNR checking boats like crazy. Im suprised the guy was able to get that life near the water without DNR seeing him and doing an inspection first. Maybe nobody thought about it at the time which i can understand im just suprised he managed to get it in the water.

Re: for your information (cubswin)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by cubswin &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">

I agree that the filtering is a theoretical problem. I can't think of any lake where that worry has caused problems for forage fish. Do you have any examples of where that has happened? I know it can happen, but haven't heard of it actually happening anywhere. Indiana has had zebra mussels for a long time now.</td></tr></table>

No, I don't have any actual examples, just what I've always read about them. It maybe propaganda, but I do know that they destroy intakes.

19. Member

Re: (basscatcher23)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by basscatcher23 &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">with all the stories I have heard from Minnesota with the wash stations and DNR checking boats like crazy. Im suprised the guy was able to get that life near the water without DNR seeing him and doing an inspection first. Maybe nobody thought about it at the time which i can understand im just suprised he managed to get it in the water.</td></tr></table> it is only going to get worse this year.. they can pull over a boat being trailered on the road and do inspections.. The DNR harasses fisherman enough... I would love to see the numbers of what type of boats they pull over this summer.. ie..fishing boat, ski boat.. should be an interesting summer up here

20. Member

Re: (dan2173)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by dan2173 &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote"> it is only going to get worse this year.. they can pull over a boat being trailered on the road and do inspections.. The DNR harasses fisherman enough... I would love to see the numbers of what type of boats they pull over this summer.. ie..fishing boat, ski boat.. should be an interesting summer up here</td></tr></table>

The road side checkpoints are illegal.

They are unconstitutional just like DWI checkpoints are in MN.

I will not stop for these inspections.

I will simply not comply.

We need to embrace our Aquatic Invasive Species Overlords.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast