Casting Rod That's Good For Every Type Of Rig?

What's your favorite casting rod that's good for just about any type of rig?

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bfarrington17 View Post
    What's your favorite casting rod that's good for just about any type of rig?
    Dobyns 734c ... I have three of them now.
    steve333
    RANGER 374V

3. Member
    Buy a medium fast rod.

4. Member
    That rod does not exist however with that being said the Dobyns Champion 734c is considered one of the best all around rods out there.
    Bruce Theriot
    2003 Champion 196 Elite
    200 Mercury Optimax

734C or a St Croix 7ft MH, or a 7Ft Berkely Light'n Rod MH, yadda yadda the only thing I see the 734C not doing well is throwing crankbaits, but I just remembered, my dad kicked my arse with a 734C and a big LittleO crankbait last year. He landed multiple 4 pounders on crankbaits with a 734C....so I guess it just may be the best all around rod.

6. Member
    Dobyns Champion 734c is probably the most versatile rod ever made. There isnt much it cannot do. I have 2 and have used it for spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, jigs, t-rigs, topwater, flukes, paddle tails and chatterbaits. You cannot go wrong with that rod.

7. Banned
    yeah,
    that "4" power in the Dobyns lineup is pretty darn versatile!
    What Dobyns has done to do this is make a series of rods that actually have 5 powers in the lineup (2,3,4,5,6) and that gives the angler a WIDE range of power choices, thus being able to really tune in what they really need!

8. Member
    My vote is Falcon Cara Lizard Dragger.

Falcon Cara T7 Amastad, hands down my favorite rod!
    \"WILL\"
    2006 Skeeter ZX 200, HPDI 200...FINALLY!!

There are too few who have fished it and unfortunately more who will ridicule it based solely on the price with no first hand experience. I've been fortunate to have fished some of the best rods in the world in my days and will continue to do so. If I had to pick one outstanding "all purpose" rod that could do just about everything, I'd pick the Megabass F6-72X4 Destruction. I've fished everything from bigger jerk baits and square bills to frogs and toads to lighter and heavier spinner baits to light umbrella rigs, shallow pitching and deep football jigs, to deep crank baits, and it's one of the best swim jig rods around cover ever made in my opinion - and that's to name a few things it can do. Your question about a rod that's good for "every" type of rig would be hard pressed to be answered better than with The X4 Destruction.

The Tackle Trap is a BBC sponsor and of course a Megabass dealer. We keep the Destruction in stock. We are also a Dobyns dealer if you decide that's the rod for you based on the glowing responses here. I've fished the 734 as well and it's a good rod too

Megabass Orochi F6-72X4 Destruction [Orochi F6-72X4 Destruction] - $449.00 : The Tackle Trap, Inc.

11. Member
    im going to go with the dobyns 734 i had four at one point in time and that rod can throw a wide range of baits. I had my 734 before i got some extremes so i threw senkos, tx rigs, jigs, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, swimbiats, and 3 wire alabama rigs with small swimbaits on it. as well as larger topwaters. Throws frogs really good too if you have sparse cover.

12. Member
    I can't afford what many fish with so my "best" won't be "the best". For lighter lures I love my Fenwick Smallmouth 6'10" MF. For MHF I would have a hard time choosing just one. Really like my Cumara 7'2", but also like my Rainshadow and Expert a lot. The Techna AV is another good all-around rod for me. The AV is probably better with a wider range of weights.

13. Member
    I like the Powell 734 max and 725 endurance. Both good all purpose rods
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me...Phil 4:13