Thread: Buffalo wings

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NiteBite6855 View Post
    For the guys that grill them, do you do it over direct or indirect heat? And approximately what temp? Thanks
    Timely question- I'm making up a couple batches this weekend. The one recipe I looked at said 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes- turning over every 4 minutes or so. Doesn't say direct or indirect. The smoker method I'm also going to try in 250 degrees for 2 hours. I haven't decided on the sauce/glaze yet- but Byron Mixon's book has a recipe I might try out and/or modify.

2. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    Grill wings and add franks wing sauce. A bit thicker than franks hot sauce. So good

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jomo924 View Post
    get yourself some wingettes and a quart of buttermilk , a quart of franks red hot 2 cups of flour , 2 sticks of butter , and oil to deep fry,,,,soak wingettes for 12 hours in buttermilk and half the red hot, then drain well and LIGHTLY flour them , then deep fry til deep golden brown, then heat the rest of red hot with the 2 sticks of butter mixing til it combines,,,,then get a big bowl and toss the sauce mixture and the cooked wings in it and serve or you can keep warm in oven on 200 degrees til ready to serve
    Where the hell you get a quart of franks at !
    2009 Z8 -2013 250 PRO XS-Dual 10' Power Pole Blades-Humminbird 1198,1197,998-MG 109-

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Thomas View Post
    Where the hell you get a quart of franks at !
    ??? you can get it by the gallon at Sam's Club
    Ranting incoherently

Just made some tonight......Brushed with olive oil and in the oven at 500 for 30 min flipping half way through. Tossed in a mixture of Franks buffalo sauce and butter combined in a sauce pan on the stove. They were Awesome!!

I am wanting to try grilled ones next.

6. Banned
    I'm also a fan of Frank's Hot Sauce and straight butter--50/50. Frank's is just hot, and doesn't have a distinctive taste like Tabasco Sauce. You just cannot get any better. But when I eat high quality pulled pork hickory smoked barbeque, I use a few drops of Sirachi. You will find it in virtually every great chef's refrigerator and it's some great stuff for everything except hot wings.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    I'm also a fan of Frank's Hot Sauce and straight butter--50/50. Frank's is just hot, and doesn't have a distinctive taste like Tabasco Sauce.
    Try their buffalo sauce. It has a little more more tast to it. I like it better than their straight hot sauce for wings.

8. Banned
    My recipe is for hot legs...boil the legs for 30 minutes in pot on the stove top Cool them with cold water and put in a gallon ziplot. Let them marinade in your favorite hot wings sauce for 24 hours then grill. Is awesome!!

Quote Originally Posted by NiteBite6855 View Post
    For the guys that grill them, do you do it over direct or indirect heat? And approximately what temp? Thanks
    I use a weber grill, indirect heat, covered, at about 300-325 degrees for the first hour. I then remove the lid, transfer to direct heat and grill for another 5 minutes to make the skin a little more crispy. Once the lid is off and you are directly over the flame, pay attention! You've got to stay on top of it to make sure the flame ups don't char your wings too much.
    Last edited by jlg309; 11-09-2014 at 12:43 AM.

10. Banned
    I like to start my wings in the oven with a dry seasoning (salt, pepper, garlic, red pepper). 350 degrees for about 15 minutes fully thawed. Then I move them to the big green egg on about 300 degrees for another 8-10 minutes, turning them halfway through until there is a slight char. Oven all the way doesn't give you a crispy, smoky finish. Grilling all the way leaves them too charred. This is the perfect balance. I leave them dry a lot of times, but also toss them in a honey sriacha sauce and then throw them back on the egg for 1-2 minutes to carmelize the honey in the sauce. Unreal good either way.

If you want to grill all the way, use indirect heat and finish the last 1-2 minutes on direct heat. I feel like the oven/grill method above is easier.

11. Member
    May I begin by saying that it is my opinion that wings are one of the four basic food groups. Pizza, beer and coffee make up the other three I have been on a quest for good wings since 1991 and have come across wings ranging from excellent to tragic. Wings that were tragic came from Buffalo Wild Wings, and how and why people pay for that food is beyond me....$1.50 per wing, and they are awful. I have been to the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, the supposed birthplace of wings, and they were nothing to write home about. In any event, there are a quadrillion ways to make wings, ranging from traditional to fish sauce wings to Jamaican Jerk. Let's stick with traditional.

A traditional wing is not breaded....while you can make tasty wings that way, purists will shun them. A true traditional wing is either baked or deep-fried; some gents have mentioned steaming before baking which can be a helpful method of getting your wings to crisp up. As for sauce, yes, Franks Red Hot and butter is a staple. However, that combo does not provide the spicy, pungent vinegar punch that many crave. To get to the next level, consider taking your Franks, melted butter, B&G hot cherry peppers and some of the pepper vinegar and pulverizing the mixture in a blender. The number of peppers and amount of pepper vinegar you add is a matter of personal taste, however, the addition of the hot cherry peppers adds a pungent spicy taste that is often lacking in restaurant wings.

12. Derek McCullough
    Try this one, we love it and it's simple,not your ordinary hot wing but man they are good!

We get the party wings from Costco (smaller than most wings you find and we like them like that, Sky Valley sriracha sauce and Pepper Palace hot wing seasoning.

Wash the chicken and throw in a Ziploc bag, add a generous amount of the sriracha and some of the rub. Squeeze all the air out and mix well and leave in the fridge overnight. Cook indirectly on the grill and lightly dust the wings with the rub when placed on the grill, the last few minutes I like to throw over hottest part of the grill to crisp them up a little. These have a little kick to them but nothing too strong, my 6 and 14 year old love them.

13. Member
    love em

14. Member
    I do mine on the Weber over indirect. About 3/4 the way done I pour Sweet Bay Rays Sweet Chili Wing Sauce and let them cook then flip and coat again. OUTSTANDING!

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Curtis View Post
    What we usually do....

Get several 5 pound bags of wings. Thaw them completely and put them in the turkey fryer at 400deg. After they're done we dip them in bowls of Frank's Buffalo Sauce, our family secret BBQ, or (my personal favorite) dip them in vinegar and sprinkle salt on them.

Just this past summer I experimented with smoking wings. They are a close 2nd behind our frying method.
    . Oil burns at 400deg.'s, Drop your temp down to 350deg's. At work we fry 100-150 turkey's a year at Thanksgiving in crawfish pots 2 at a time.

16. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    I've found a new coating and I like it pretty good. In a sauce pan add equal amounts for Cattlemens Gold and Frank's original. Add 1 tbsp brown sugar and heat. I use a fry daddy but instead of wings I use drummettes. The brown sugar takes some of the heat out and gives is a semi sweet flavor. The wife like Frank's sweet chili on hers.

17. Member
    Same thing, I had to go out and get some also

18. Member
    I'm in live with this recipe, scroll to the bottom to his updated spices he added and everything that calls for an 1/8 tsp do a 1/4 top. And I use the spicy ranch pack instead of the regular.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/griffin...ken-wings/amp/

19. Member
    I concur on Grilling and the Franks. I usually get the pre cut wingettes either from the store or the farm. I trim the excess skin of of them cause I like my wings a little drier than juicy. I'll marrinate them in a olive oil, dash of vinegar, salt, pepper, minced garlic, chilli powder, ginger powder, and lemon juice concoction of my own making. Sometimes I'll mix in some sweet chilli sauce or some soy sauce to change it around a bit. I'll also marinate them in Mojo which you can pick up in the spanish food section at you're local Publix, Shop Rite, or major supermarket in your area. Throw em on the grill till they get a little black on the edges, throw em in a bowl, and dowse them with Frank's or I'll mix some Frank's in some Chipotle BBQ sauce, and glaze that on as well.
    07 STRATOS 176XT

20. Member
    What a great thread!

What stinks is I have no wings in the house an its a 30 minute drive to get mediocre wings . :(
    J.T.
    2021 Skeeter ZXR 21
    2021 Yamaha 250 SHO

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast