Thread: Buffalo wings

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    X100 on grilling the wings i have left frying them in the past...... i put 1/2 stick of butter and either franks or crystals h/s then add garlic powder, cayanne pepper, onion powder to the sauce.... then i take enough sauce to marinate the wings in for a hour or so then grill and baste with the other sauce left when done toss wings in sauce remaining. I like blue cheese to dip in i will take some of the sauce left and add to the blue cheese for a spicy blue cheese dip
    Frank Duffy

Harris Teeter Pro Staff

2. Banned
    Great ideas above. And Franks is the only brand hot sauce to use. If the Franks/butter mix is too spicy for you, just add more butter. I too like the premade Franks Buffalo sauce.

Just dip in Cowboy Johns Grillin and dippin sauce. Made in Des Moines IA.
    Pat C. 95 Ranger R70 125 Merc. 56Th Tac Fighter Sq. 56Th SPS Sq. USAF

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by markheb View Post
    GRILL, do not fry, bake, microwave, etc., your wings. Put about 16 - 24 oz (depending on the amount of wings) of Franks Red Hot sauce (nothing else) in a bowl. Throw in about 1/3 to 1/2 stick of butter in and microwave until the butter is melted. Add the cooked wings and stir around until all are coated. Let them set in the sauce for about 10 minutes and enjoy.
    What do you use for a baste in the grill? I just started experimenting with grilling them then adding the sauce.....awesome wings right there. I just baste them with a little oil with black pepper a little salt and some garlic powder.

5. Member
    This is going to be like a which boat is better thread but lots of good options. I personally like the butter/Franks redhot recipe. I also like the lemon pepper wings. Now I'm hungry.

6. Banned
    Damn am I hungry now

7. Banned
    Best wings I have ever eaten were my neighbor's mothers. Secret receipe she took to her grave. All I know is that she boiled them first, homemade sauce. Best ever.....

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by markheb View Post
    GRILL, do not fry, bake, microwave, etc., your wings. Put about 16 - 24 oz (depending on the amount of wings) of Franks Red Hot sauce (nothing else) in a bowl. Throw in about 1/3 to 1/2 stick of butter in and microwave until the butter is melted. Add the cooked wings and stir around until all are coated. Let them set in the sauce for about 10 minutes and enjoy.

This is the way I do them, I would only add cook them skin side down (wing portions) until the start looking done on the top side. Then flip them for the last few minutes. Keeps them from drying out and from flaming up as bad. I prefer the Thick Franks Red Hot sauce and I add in some Texas Pete Hotter Hot sauce for that extra bite. The Franks is delicious, just not hot enough for me.

DAMN YOU GUYS!!! Reading all these posts got me going on wings. A local bbq joint down the street has a special on for today. SMOKED WINGS, 6.99 a dozen. Went down, got 2 dozen, made up some sauce. I have already ate about a dozen and I am miserable! THANKS AN F___ING LOT!! Will eat the rest later
    SS 580 DBF

Quote Originally Posted by TRYTOFISH View Post
    DAMN YOU GUYS!!! Reading all these posts got me going on wings. A local bbq joint down the street has a special on for today. SMOKED WINGS, 6.99 a dozen. Went down, got 2 dozen, made up some sauce. I have already ate about a dozen and I am miserable! THANKS AN F___ING LOT!! Will eat the rest later

Same thing, I had to go out and get some also
    I went with teriyaki.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

For all the guys that said to grill the wings I have 6 words for you,

Thank you
    thank you
    thank you!!!!!

After grilling them I don't think I'll ever go back to fried wings.

If I fished to live.....I'd starve to death!

12. Banned
    Looks like I'm going to try that out on my smoker the next nice day- Using applewood most likely.

I guess you have to enjoy smoked chicken to like them that way and I don't, nor do I like smoked turkey,,,,i do however like some meats smoked and an occasional but rarely piece of smoked fish ,,,,my taste buds find that lighter the meat flavor (ie, chicken and fish) the less they tend to like smoke as smoke overpowers the light flavor of said items

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jomo924 View Post
    I guess you have to enjoy smoked chicken to like them that way and I don't, nor do I like smoked turkey,,,,i do however like some meats smoked and an occasional but rarely piece of smoked fish ,,,,my taste buds find that lighter the meat flavor (ie, chicken and fish) the less they tend to like smoke as smoke overpowers the light flavor of said items
    The key is lighter woods like apple or cherry, and not much smoke to the meat. In my electric, I'll only put wood in the first 30 minutes, and don't add any after that. I don't like the smoke to overtake the meat either.
    Last edited by Tywithay; 02-05-2014 at 03:40 AM.

This is how I make mine also...As good or better than anything you will get in a restaurant/bar. The buttermilk is the trick...

Quote Originally Posted by jomo924 View Post
    get yourself some wingettes and a quart of buttermilk , a quart of franks red hot 2 cups of flour , 2 sticks of butter , and oil to deep fry,,,,soak wingettes for 12 hours in buttermilk and half the red hot, then drain well and LIGHTLY flour them , then deep fry til deep golden brown, then heat the rest of red hot with the 2 sticks of butter mixing til it combines,,,,then get a big bowl and toss the sauce mixture and the cooked wings in it and serve or you can keep warm in oven on 200 degrees til ready to serve
    Dan Beck
    2013 Ranger Z119/SHO 200

16. Banned
    Hot sauce, Butter, and I add a little vinegar for a little wang
    Got a recipe for a big wang?

Jake

17. Banned
    Thanks for all the ideas guys.

This thread should be a permanent sticky either here or in the cooking and grilling forum. Just way to many great recipes to let the lounge swallow up.

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish Boy View Post
    This thread should be a permanent sticky either here or in the cooking and grilling forum. Just way to many great recipes to let the lounge swallow up.
    I fell for Jomo's trap, and the Broncos paid dearly.

For the guys that grill them, do you do it over direct or indirect heat? And approximately what temp? Thanks

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast