Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Power Pole Blade vs. Minn Kota Talon

I have a ranger 521vx I want to install 2 of either the power pole or the minn kota talon. Please share your personal experiences with both. The only downfall I see for the talon is it's always in the way for someone fishing in the rear. Thanks in advance for your input!

2. Member
    A lot of the Ranger guys run Talons because of the lack of space in the battery compartment for 2 pumps..

3. Member
    I have had and each are quality products. I have a Ranger 520, and switched from a single, original Talon, to 2 PP Blades. I am happy with the switch. I mounted both pumps in the splash well setback area of my Ranger. Works great....

4. Member
    I have 2 talons and they are great. The power poles in the up position are just like the talons, they stick up as well so either one can be in the way. With that being said they are both great products and either way you go would be good.

5. Member
    I have had both and just upgraded to 2 10' blades. I can honestly say I wouldn't use the talons again even if they were given to me. They don't have the holding power that PP's have. And with PP's you can put them half way down so you co angler has casting room and still not be engaged with talons there is no half way and they are always in the way. I do like the look of the talons but functionally they aren't in the same league
    2005 Nitro 929 CDX
    Mercury 250 ProXB

6. Kentucky Bass Club/Trailers & Towing Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBen View Post
    A lot of the Ranger guys run Talons because of the lack of space in the battery compartment for 2 pumps..
    I am not real sure on this.

I know of several Rangers (mine included) running poles and there is plenty of room in the battery compartment or set back for both pumps.

As far as which one??? Both are great products with both their pros and cons. Best way for YOU to decide is to spend a day in a boat with poles and a day with Talons. See which one that works best for you. I like the poles (I run two 8ft Pro Series II) on my 521. It is easy to push the button and lower them some when I have a person fishing in the back to get them out of the way. I use the remote to lower them a little when coming in/out of the garage. I have had them 8 months now and am very pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen View Post
    I have 2 PP. The pumps are in the set back . You wouldn't even know the pumps are even there. They are even serviceable if need be

8. Member
    Got a few buddies with Rangers...Installed twin blades on a 520 myself, tight squeeze in the battery compartment! But hey my vote is for the power poles, let's face it, they're a whole lot cooler than talons!..lol

9. Member
    I will be installing a pair of Blades in the next 3 months. PP's are the only option in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Rude520 View Post
    I am not real sure on this.

I know of several Rangers (mine included) running poles and there is plenty of room in the battery compartment or set back for both pumps.

As far as which one??? Both are great products with both their pros and cons. Best way for YOU to decide is to spend a day in a boat with poles and a day with Talons. See which one that works best for you. I like the poles (I run two 8ft Pro Series II) on my 521. It is easy to push the button and lower them some when I have a person fishing in the back to get them out of the way. I use the remote to lower them a little when coming in/out of the garage. I have had them 8 months now and am very pleased.
    i dont think there are any cons of a power pole, besides price, wish they were $18 bucks rather than $1800

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

I've owned both.. Both have served me well. I currently have 2 10' blades and find the talons held a bit better mostly because there is a ton of flex in the 10' ploles. I've never used 8 footers so can't compare those.

12. Member
    Had both. The Talons work great when they're not in the shop for repair work. I have a Power Pole now. As far as Rangers are concerned... there's enough room in the set back for more than two pumps, although I preferred to install mine in the bilge area.

13. Member
    Been running twin Talons on a 09 Z 520. No complaints here..serve the same purpose as blades for less money. But would use either one rather than go without,

14. Member
    power pole all the way !!!!!!!

15. Member
    Both products are quality products and both work as advertised. I've sold and mounted both. In a Ranger, the best place for pumps is in the area behind the battery compartment, accessible through the cover in the splash pan. Of course, the Talon needs nothing mounted in the bilge. The current MinnKota brackets in my opinion are the strongest out there. They are double walled with two spine joints that give no flex. The PP brackets have flex -- though not much. To compare to a Blade, the 8' Talon (MSRP to MSRP) is $346.00 less than the 8' blade and apx the same height above the bracket. To compare the 10' Blade to the 10' Talon, the Talon is 29" shorter than the Blade and sells for (again MSRP to MSRP) $146.00 less than the Blade. The 10' Talon is $46.00 less than the 8' Blade and 8" shorter. Many times, this 8" is the difference of going into the garage or under obstacles. At 8" shorter, it will not be much taller, if any, then the cowl of the outboard -- depending on how it's mounted. The Talons are also offering a $100.00 rebate at this time.
    If you have any other questions, or if I can help, please feel free to call me.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

16. Member
    what model year?

Quote Originally Posted by Niven8 View Post
    I have had both and just upgraded to 2 10' blades. I can honestly say I wouldn't use the talons again even if they were given to me. They don't have the holding power that PP's have. And with PP's you can put them half way down so you co angler has casting room and still not be engaged with talons there is no half way and they are always in the way. I do like the look of the talons but functionally they aren't in the same league

17. Banned
    id love to have some power poles but theyd have to make a 30 foot version to make it useful here

18. Member
    I have had Talons on my last two boats with no issues at all. If you look on this forum there was a post yesterday where a hydraulic line on a power pole leaked most of the fluid out. This is one of the reasons I choose Talon. Of course, it is personal choice.

19. Member
    Talon's. Power pole has length envy of the new 12' talons.

A lot of guys will have to deal with another length envy. SWA Envy.

20. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    The current MinnKota brackets in my opinion are the strongest out there. They are double walled with two spine joints that give no flex. The PP brackets have flex -- though not much. To compare to a Blade, the 8' Talon (MSRP to MSRP) is $346.00 less than the 8' blade and apx the same height above the bracket. To compare the 10' Blade to the 10' Talon, the Talon is 29" shorter than the Blade and sells for (again MSRP to MSRP) $146.00 less than the Blade. The 10' Talon is $46.00 less than the 8' Blade and 8" shorter. Many times, this 8" is the difference of going into the garage or under obstacles. At 8" shorter, it will not be much taller, if any, then the cowl of the outboard -- depending on how it's mounted. The Talons are also offering a $100.00 rebate at this time.
    If you have any other questions, or if I can help, please feel free to call me.
    John

Power Poles braced brackets are not only just as strong but are also lighter, more compact, drag less water and are Powder coated to finish. All this while being less expensive than the minnkota product. In addition to price an 8' Talon to and 8' Blade is not on par. An 8' Talon and 8' Power Pole Sportsman2 is the comparison. I would suggest that potential buyers research and add up not only the cost of the anchor itself but the required brackets that are to go with it. Also the added Acc. such as the foot switch which is most common. Even with Minn-kotas current rebate Power Pole packages can be less costly...

As far as leaking hydraulic fluid and the Talon being easier to install etc.. They both have pro's and con's. You guys can show me a line that's popped off a Power Pole pump and I can show you a Talon that sounds like a bucket of bolts are lose inside it. At the end of the day just do research best you can and go with the dealer who is going to help you before and after your purchase.

Rich
    Last edited by Hydrilla Gear; 02-04-2014 at 10:13 AM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast