Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Try this Talon lovers. Nuff said.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

2. Member
    Ford vs Chevy, Ranger vs Triton. Does it matter? Get what's on sale....

3. Member
    Agree. Both have advantages/disadvantages aand limitations. Get the one that suits you, and your application.

For me, not that it is impossible, the ability to drive off with the anchor deployed was not a primary deciding point but rather the ability to use at greater than 10' of depth was.

I will say that all of the points raised will have me look into designing an interlock to raise the talon when the engine is started(with an override if you want to idle with the anchor deployed )

Quote Originally Posted by jbullok View Post
    Ford vs Chevy, Ranger vs Triton. Does it matter? Get what's on sale....

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrilla Gear View Post
    You tell me... What about the Talon makes it comparable to the Blade? Or Pro2 for that matter...

I have never experienced "spring" with a braced Power Pole bracket which is essentially what the newer Talon design is comparable to.. Again its lighter, more compact, less costly and finished.

For those who think I have a biased opinion you would be correct. I do sell both Talons and Power Poles.. My biased opinion is based off what I have more faith in being on the east cost of florida we probably put both these brands to a little harder use than most. The Power Poles simply hold up better and are easier to service.
    If you're going to compare shallow water anchors to each other, then top of the line to top of the line is the only way to get all the features. Personally, I think they can't be compared to each other because they operate in two different manors and are essentially two different critters -- kinda like MinnKota and Motorguide, both are trolling motors but is where the similarity ends. I sell both and both work as they are advertised.
    To address the above statement regarding Powerpole: " Again its lighter, more compact, less costly and finished." Both products are "finished", The Powerpole is lighter. According to literature, a 10' Powerpole comes in at 35.7lbs, a 10' Talon at 42.5lbs - 7lb difference. The 12ft Powerpole (O wait, I didnt' see the information on that one) and the 12' Talon at 47.5lbs, an apx 12lb difference in the 10' Powerpole for two extra feet of depth. On price, list on the 10' Powerpole is $1995.00 and the 10' Talon is $1849.00 - $146.00 less expensive. The 12' Talon list at $1999.99 -- $4.99 more than the 10' Powerpole. On compact: Powerpoles 10' model is 68", Talon 10' is 49" -- Talon 12' is 57".
    Again, I sell both because like trolling motors, there is different preferences, but both are good, quality, products.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

5. Member

Try this Talon lovers. Nuff said.
    I want to see the Talon tested like this.

6. Member
    Well...That didn't turn out the way I wanted it to...

7. New Boat Coming Soon
    Quote Originally Posted by zrp View Post
    Well...That didn't turn out the way I wanted it to...
    I guess it is nice to know that a pp will do that but really who cares if I can intentionally drag it around behind an airboat ? I never will. I care about REAL world scenarios not make believe torture tests. What they don't tell you is if the pp will still function normally after the abuse. I am sure my truck can literally pull a tank, ONCE.

Really it comes down to preference, space, depth and weight. PP is lighter and looks better (I have heard bass fishing is not really how many fish you catch but how much high tech stuff you can mount on your boat, if your stuff is more expensive than your competitors, if your boat is the fastest and how good you look fishing. I disagree but a lot think this way. I have been out fished many a time by someone who knows the area better, has FUNCTIONAL equipment and an old aluminum boat with a 25 hp on it)and has drive off protection of sort. Talon is heavy but has greater depth anchoring capacity, looks just as good in my opinion, has no pumps to worry about, simple removable design, takes up less space and has a drive off warning.

For me it is all function over form. which suits you ? Is one better overall(does it perform its intended function(shallow water anchoring) better than the other ? This is Dodge,Chevy,Ford,Toyota ??

8. Member
    I will let you know Monday after I use mine for the first time.......

9. Member
    Just a link to show some of the testing and torture MinnKota put the new talons through. I personally like the one with the 4 wheeler showing the Talon extended the full 12', the bow in all the sections, then the Talon working.
    Minn Kota | The Talon Torture Chamber

John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

10. Member
    Just a link to show some of the testing and torture MinnKota put the new talons through. I personally like the one with the 4 wheeler showing the Talon extended the full 12', the bow in all the sections, then the Talon working.
    Wow! It appears that the Talon's outer case is very tough. I have a test for them. Leave it down and run your boat from the North Cove to Rabbit Island in lake Kissimmee. Wait... I can tell you first hand what the results are. BUY A POWER POLE!!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post

John
    Pretty cool stuff. Anyway I like PP they are a fine product. I like talon they are good to. For me I didnt want pumps so I went with talons.There was a feature that came standard with my talons that is pretty handy it has an alarm to alert you they are down when you turn on the outboard.Somebody had mentioned leaving there PP down driving all over the lake.I would think that isnt something that you want to do on purpose all the time well at least I dont want to ride around with mine down.That sure cant be good for your transom no matter what product you have.PP does have that alarm however it comes from a third party as an option.I would expect PP to be buying that idea soon enough as it is something very nice to have.

Wow! It appears that the Talon's outer case is very tough. I have a test for them. Leave it down and run your boat from the North Cove to Rabbit Island in lake Kissimmee. Wait... I can tell you first hand what the results are. BUY A POWER POLE!!
    The one test they don't show is taking off with a bass boat and the Talon down. My buddy did that...twice! The result is a shattered Talon and mounting bracket bent beyond saving.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

13. Member
    This always ends up being a pissing contest. Both work great. I have had both poles. I had a Talon then went to power pole. I am now back to a T.alon. The biggest difference is customer service. I have dealt with both Minn Kota and JL Marine. Power Pole by far has the BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE. I have had my new 8ft. Talon stuck in the mud rocked the boat a few times and it came up before long. I have had a power pole pump go out on me while fishing. Your going to have issues at some point with either one. If space wasnt an issue for me in my 20I I would have a power pole just based on their awesome custome service.

Why do some want to compare when they are left down? To me that is a stupid idea. If you cant remember to put it up then maybe you should not own one. Who takes off with an ankor with rope tied to a boat or leaves the trolling motor down and guns the motor WOT?

If you put it down be smart enough to put it up.
    14' Alumacraft Green machine.
    24v.70# Minn Kota (bow)
    24V. 75# Motorguide (tiller)
    Non green- 9.9 merc

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger519VS View Post
    The one test they don't show is taking off with a bass boat and the Talon down. My buddy did that...twice! The result is a shattered Talon and mounting bracket bent beyond saving.
    With the new talon?

16. Member
    Why do some want to compare when they are left down? To me that is a stupid idea. If you cant remember to put it up then maybe you should not own one. Who takes off with an ankor with rope tied to a boat or leaves the trolling motor down and guns the motor WOT?

If you put it down be smart enough to put it up.
    Have you ever backed your trailer in and forgot to unfasten the winch strap or safety chain? Have you ever forgotten the trailer straps? Have you ever forgotten to put the plug in the boat? Have you ever forgotten any piece of equipment? If you have then maybe you should not own a boat. Do you even have a Power Pole or Talon? Because if you do, and I'm guessing you don't, and you haven't left it down yet, it's just a matter of time for you my friend. And yes, it's quite embarrassing... however, it happens more than you think.

Have you ever backed your trailer in and forgot to unfasten the winch strap or safety chain? Have you ever forgotten the trailer straps? Have you ever forgotten to put the plug in the boat? Have you ever forgotten any piece of equipment? If you have then maybe you should not own a boat. Do you even have a Power Pole or Talon? Because if you do, and I'm guessing you don't, and you haven't left it down yet, it's just a matter of time for you my friend. And yes, it's quite embarrassing... however, it happens more than you think.
    Yes a Talon...never left it down, never left my troll motor down, or an ankor still down and tied off. If anyone leaves a pole down and gets to plane off speed then damages should be on them. Maybe Motor guide and Minn Kota should start showing trolling motors left down and running high speed ?
    14' Alumacraft Green machine.
    24v.70# Minn Kota (bow)
    24V. 75# Motorguide (tiller)
    Non green- 9.9 merc

18. Member
    Yes a Talon...never left it down, never left my troll motor down, or an ankor still down and tied off. If anyone leaves a pole down and gets to plane off speed then damages should be on them. Maybe Motor guide and Minn Kota should start showing trolling motors left down and running high speed ?
    Never left my trolling motor down or anchor tied off, don't know where that came from, but I have left the Talon and Power Pole down. I paid for the Talon but nothing happened to the Power Pole. And by the way...the day you leave your Talon down, AND YOU WILL LEAVE IT DOWN, remember this thread.

19. Banned
    If my trolling motor was not in plain view I would have done it plenty as I have gotten ready to go and saw it down

20. Member
    Oh yeah, me too.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast