Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrilla Gear View Post
    Power Poles braced brackets are not only just as strong but are also lighter, more compact, drag less water and are Powder coated to finish. All this while being less expensive than the minnkota product. In addition to price an 8' Talon to and 8' Blade is not on par. An 8' Talon and 8' Power Pole Sportsman2 is the comparison. I would suggest that potential buyers research and add up not only the cost of the anchor itself but the required brackets that are to go with it. Also the added Acc. such as the foot switch which is most common. Even with Minn-kotas current rebate Power Pole packages will be can be less costly...
    Just curious, why would you not compare the Talon to the Blade, top of the line to the top of the line. Also, compare the 10 Talon to -- what???? that would be the 10' Blade also. It's easy to compare top of the line to lower line, but I don't see where in this case it needs to be. About the brackets, I have installed both and the one piece design of the Powerpole, although a good, strong bracket, has more "spring" to it than the 3 piece adjustable, double walled design of the new Talon brackets. Again, as I stated in an above post, both are great products and perform as advertised.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

2. Xpress Boats Moderator
    I'll also throw this out on brackets.Hydrilla Gear makes some "custom" powerpole brackets for Bullet boats that are as tough as you'll find,and fit like a glove.Thanks to Marty at Rothwell Marine for hooking me up with that bracket and a 8' Pro series powerpole about 3 yrs ago,and it's been one of the best add-ons to my boat that i've done.

Here's a picture of Hydrilla Gear's Bullet powerpole bracket that's built like a tank,and very compact. I know it won't work for a lot of applications,but it worked perfect on my setup.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrilla Gear View Post
    Power Poles braced brackets are not only just as strong but are also lighter, more compact, drag less water and are Powder coated to finish. All this while being less expensive than the minnkota product. In addition to price an 8' Talon to and 8' Blade is not on par. An 8' Talon and 8' Power Pole Sportsman2 is the comparison. I would suggest that potential buyers research and add up not only the cost of the anchor itself but the required brackets that are to go with it. Also the added Acc. such as the foot switch which is most common. Even with Minn-kotas current rebate Power Pole packages can be less costly...

As far as leaking hydraulic fluid and the Talon being easier to install etc.. They both have pro's and con's. You guys can show me a line that's popped off a Power Pole pump and I can show you a Talon that sounds like a bucket of bolts are lose inside it. At the end of the day just do research best you can and go with the dealer who is going to help you before and after your purchase.

Rich

I have no dog in this hunt BUT I have an opinion and only an opinion as I have technically never owned a power pole.

I SPECIFICALLY chose a dealer that represented BOTH power pole and minn kota in hopes that I could get an unbiased opinion, although many may argue that profit margins could bias any dealer(I don't have an opinion on this relating to this discussion). I discussed both pros and cons, durability, reliability, serviceability, and customer service OPINIONS with several dealers of my choice. At the end of the day I chose a Talon. Now you may see my posts in reference to the talon I purchased and it was a 12' model. The argument that I chose the Talon because it is the only 12' available SWA is not a viable argument because I discussed 10' models as well. FOR MY USE based upon MY RESEARCH(inclusive of engineering review for stresses imposed to the boat transom due to simple moment arm calculations) and the OPINIONS of several dealers that represent both manufacturers I chose the talon.

Now did I make the right choice ? Only time will tell but as it currently stands I am very comfortable with my choice.

FWIW I drive a FORD so I am sure some Chevrolet drivers will have opinions on that, but then again I have a Chevrolet corporate vehicle which has only solidified my choice on my personal vehicles.

IMHO I think that stating the older issues that the talon had is irreverent. These are a next gen product developed after repairing the older style and seeing what went wrong on those. You'll see this again and again in the coming months and years, guys talking about issues that happened with the older models and they will never mention the newer models. That's BBC. The new talon is not the same product. Will there be any issues maybe but hey maybe not.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeter_tzx View Post
    IMHO I think that stating the older issues that the talon had is irreverent. These are a next gen product developed after repairing the older style and seeing what went wrong on those. You'll see this again and again in the coming months and years, guys talking about issues that happened with the older models and they will never mention the newer models. That's BBC. The new talon is not the same product. Will there be any issues maybe but hey maybe not.
    GOD I HOPE NOT as I have one of the new 12' Talons ! I am hoping that the delayed release and production was due to an increased emphasis on R&D and Qa/Qc to avert a repeat of the initial Talon launch issues

6. Member
    I have two 8 foot talons that have been on my boat for about a year now. I have had zero problems with them. I chose the talons over the PP because that is what I got the best deal on at the time. I would be happy with either one.

7. Banned
    Front View.jpg360 Bracket.jpgPort and Starboard.jpgPort PP.jpgPP-360.jpgHere is my set up. I have Power Poles with the latest Talon brackets. Bolt pattern's mirror one another so no need for any mods to be done. Pictures should be good enough to answer any questions. Oh, no drag on blast off and no drag while on plane, no issues at all.

After seeing a few talon owners post about the hassles of them sticking on the water with grit, and having to flush them out I would only consider one brand when I win the lottery and would need a shallow water anchor.

9. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    Just curious, why would you not compare the Talon to the Blade, top of the line to the top of the line. Also, compare the 10 Talon to -- what???? that would be the 10' Blade also. It's easy to compare top of the line to lower line, but I don't see where in this case it needs to be. About the brackets, I have installed both and the one piece design of the Powerpole, although a good, strong bracket, has more "spring" to it than the 3 piece adjustable, double walled design of the new Talon brackets. Again, as I stated in an above post, both are great products and perform as advertised.
    You tell me... What about the Talon makes it comparable to the Blade? Or Pro2 for that matter...

I have never experienced "spring" with a braced Power Pole bracket which is essentially what the newer Talon design is comparable to.. Again its lighter, more compact, less costly and finished.

For those who think I have a biased opinion you would be correct. I do sell both Talons and Power Poles.. My biased opinion is based off what I have more faith in being on the east cost of florida we probably put both these brands to a little harder use than most. The Power Poles simply hold up better and are easier to service.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by arjone01 View Post
    After seeing a few talon owners post about the hassles of them sticking on the water with grit, and having to flush them out I would only consider one brand when I win the lottery and would need a shallow water anchor.
    Aaron, this was noted above in the comment about "old problems". That problem has been corrected by simply adding a piece to the bottom of the spike that scrapes the mud off the spike before it retracts. The "fix" is retrofittable to the older Talons.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

11. Member
    For me it was a no brainer. PP all the way. I have to lower them a few inches to get in and out of my garaage. Since I'm running a SHO I had plenty space in the z520c bilge area.

12. Member
    tried talon 2014 models? ,both brands are quality products

Quote Originally Posted by Niven8 View Post
    I have had both and just upgraded to 2 10' blades. I can honestly say I wouldn't use the talons again even if they were given to me. They don't have the holding power that PP's have. And with PP's you can put them half way down so you co angler has casting room and still not be engaged with talons there is no half way and they are always in the way. I do like the look of the talons but functionally they aren't in the same league
    Last edited by kvdwannabe; 02-10-2014 at 09:10 AM.

Blades, Thats all. Use the search and you will find all the reason why.
    J.Lewallen Allstate Insurance. San Marcos Tx. 512-667-6464

2012 Triton 20XS Elite
    Mercury 250 ProXS
    Herzog Fishing supplies, Denali Rods, Optima Baits, Reins Baits

Quote Originally Posted by TritonJohnny View Post
    Blades, Thats all. Use the search and you will find all the reason why.
    Search will not help to find much of a reason. The new Talon is not the same as the original model. All new design.

15. Member
    So this comes up a lot. I have searched and read and searched and read and made calls to find out which way to go. I answered another post with a summary of all I found. Not sure how to link so here is the URL:

http://www.bbcboards.net/general-bas...ml#post4471493
    Sean Fullerton

~~2022 Skeeter FXR20 Limited~~
    Yamaha SHO 250
    Helix 12
    Mega 360
    MegaLive
    Raptors

https://www.youtube.com/ruggedoutdoors

16. Member
    Here is a good deciding factor if you accidently take off with them down which one will survive. POWER-POLE That is another great selling point for Power-Pole. I know Talon has a light and a buzzer but we all know it can still happen.
    RH

I'm watching the show Fishing University and this week the main sponsor is power pole and I'll be darn they can't get one of the poles to operate on a daul pp setup , I can't understand them not editing that out of the show ., I love my 2 pp but every trip out I test them and I'm releaved when they operate .

18. Banned
    i just can't get over the look of the Talon's !

I had a Talon..sold it bought 2 10' Blades. Love them. Way quieter and hold alot better. I like the 2-button better on the Talon though.
    2015 Legend V20
    250 ProXS
    Lowrance HDSLIVE 12s/16
    BBC Member since 2003

Even assuming the performance were equal, I think the extruded aluminum housing on the Talons is just plain ugly. I think the Blades are just cool looking and I like the drive off safety factor (more than worth the couple extra hundred bucks in my opinion). Look at the durability video on the PP website where they have one mounted on the air boat. That's what sold me on the PP. I don't think the Talon could survive that. As far as space for the pumps, I have 2 in my 119 no problem.
    Dan Beck
    2013 Ranger Z119/SHO 200

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast